Cuphead – one of the coolest-looking video games ever!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michelle66, Sep 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I grabbed this on Amazon and can use the digital code for either Windows 10 or Xbox. I only have the former, but I want a couple other Xbox games, so it may make sense getting an Xbox. However, I already have way too many games and not enough time, so buying a whole new system will not help matters!

So: play right now on Windows, or wait who knows how long for an Xbox One? Decisions, decisions...

2. As someone who has followed the work of Eurogamer's Digital Foundry team for quite some time, I loved their recent lengthy video article on Cuphead (which seems like a genuine love letter to the game), even though I'm unable to play this due to it supposedly being console exclusive to Xbox One and my current PC not meeting the required minimum hardware specifications by a long shot:

Hopefully the sequel will also be made available for PlayStation 4, preferably with a remastered edition of the original as well...

3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I posted this earlier in the thread.

4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Just grabbed this on Steam, and think it is amazing. It's so hard, though! I've spent a couple hours on it so far, and love it. Thanks for the recommendation and information on Cuphead.

MikaelaArsenault, woody and supermd like this.
  5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

This week's episode of James & Mike Mondays:

6. My 11 year old son , just got this game. It is super cool and looks and sounds amazing... I'd love to see how the designers will follow it up.

7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I got this game and have played it over the last week. It is a lot of fun, and the bosses are all pretty challenging. I love looking at this game. It's one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. I'm a big fan of this type of animation.

I'm really looking forward to the next game this company releases. I'd love a sequel in the same art style, but I'd also welcome a different type of hand-drawn animation.

8. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

Reviving this from two months ago... just downloaded this. Awesome. Ridiculously difficult, though. I have dropped more than a few F-Bombs thus far, LOL.

I think I am going to plop the $100 down for the vinyl. It is on backorder and shipping soon...

My main concern is the sound a quality. The music is available on Tidal and it sounds very compressed... wondering if the vinyl is all packaging and iffy sound/mastering?

Anyone here buy it and care to share their thoughts?

9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I got this game a couple months ago, enjoyed the hell out of it, but did not beat the last boss. I spent 3 hours on him alone and gave up in immense frustration. I'm not looking forward to eventually returning to complete the game.

MikaelaArsenault and Wired4Fun like this.
  10. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

Well, I plopped down the coin and ordered this 4LP set. I just love the music, and the whole package makes me happy.

Hope the vinyl is of decent quality and sound. :)

Should arrive in the next 8 weeks or so, as the first batch sold out. I’ll post my thoughts on the quality of the set, the sound, etc. once it arrives!

11. woody

woody Forum Resident

Let us know how it sounds.

Bought this for my daughter for Christmas and ended up buying a second controller, so we could play in tandem. We really stink but we are having fun.

12. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

Will do! I expect it will be a WHILE before I have it, but I will be sure to give my full impressions of it, especially given the price, once it arrives. Enjoy gaming with you kid. That's awesome. My dad always played Atari 2600 with us, and we had so much fun!

13. woody

woody Forum Resident

Surprise! My brother gifted me the lp set and it arrived last night. I’ll weigh in after a few listens this week. Looks like it came through Think Geek.

14. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

Awesome! I am in the 14 day CANCEL window, so if it sucks, let me know LOL!! I hope it is amazing ;) ENJOY!

15. woody

woody Forum Resident

Only gave half of side one a spin. I can say it was pretty quiet, even without a run in the Nitty Gritty. Not certain it is the most dynamic mastering.

The binding is coming apart after opening it twice. Packaging is nice otherwise.

16. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member Thread Starter

If you can beat King Dice, you shouldn't have much trouble with the Devil. The Devil's level was somewhat anti-climactic after finally offing the Diceman.

The level that gave me fits was the one with the mad scientist & his robot. The final phase (the like old video game Scramble, but on steroids), always did me in.

However, one time the penultimate phase continued on for an EXTREMELY long time, and eventually the It's a KNOCKOUT! card popped up. That one-time glitch was the only way I was able to pass that level.

17. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

Hmmmm. This is my concern, as the tracks on Tidal sounded pretty compressed and anemic. Your 1 side review has me wondering if maybe it isn’t best to cancel my order... I have a week and a half to decide.

Will be interested to hear more from you. Also. The binding breaking is disappointing, too. $120 shipped is a LOT for this set. I would think it would be better made?

18. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I saw a trailer for this game well over a year ago and have been waiting for it to come out, and didn't realize it already has.

I don't know what all these Playstations and Gameboy things are. I only have my computer and haven't played a non-solitaire game on it since the 90s, except maybe to revisit some old ones on occasion. Alas (never thought I'd say this but...) all I got is Linux. Do have Windows-something on my office computer but can't install anything not on admin's list.

19. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

@woody any other thoughts or comments you might share on this 4 LP set? :) Trying to determine if it's worth the $120 I paid with shipping... Thanks!

20. woody

woody Forum Resident

Listened to side 2 just now and it sounds nice and punchy. I ran it through Audacity and there appear to be fair dynamics.

Then I downloaded a DRC test program and ran it on a two song selection. It said it had heavy compression. As it tested the amount of compression and not the dynamic range, there is no DR value from that test.

So, I wouldn't call it a demonstration record, but it sounds pretty good and the pressing is flat and quiet, if not a little scuffy.

Wired4Fun likes this.
  21. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

Thanks so much for the update! This is what I heard on TIDAL... COMPRESSION. But, to your point, there is no DR value and that might very well make it sound more ALIVE than its digital counterpart. I think I will "roll the dice", to make a game-based pun, if you will. It is a lot of money, but I imagine it is also the best it will ever be. Truly appreciate your feedback.

22. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

ditto

23. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

As for the game... it is FRUSTRATINGLY difficult. I wish they had built in SOME way to ease up on a level difficulty, should the player want to. It can sometimes make me not want to play. But, it is rewarding when you beat a level. Still, I fear hitting a level I can't beat, and having a game I simply can't finish.

KevinP likes this.
  24. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

That sucks, but I'm glad to see discussion about the game.

This must be the only forum where someone posts about a game and most of the discussion is about the sound quality of the vinyl soundtrack.

Wired4Fun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.