Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Go Home Productions had made some of the most ingenious 'mashes'.
    My favorite of his is "Crazy Little Fool"

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

theMess and Paulwalrus like this.
  3. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

He hadn't! (Band on the run included)

Syd Avett likes this.
  4. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Johnny Reb, mrjinks and susyredstripe like this.
  5. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Anyone commenting anywhere about Paul's pathetically stagnant setlist on the current Japan tour? He seems too be just going through the motions with no real interest at all in the setlist anymore. Very sad indeed especially since he hasn't been on stage since last October. What will it take to change it?..surely a song or two from "Flowers.." would have been so obvious to anyone expect Macca. Very strange.

6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

At this point I have given up any hope that he will promote his reissues in concert; when he completely ignored 'Tug Of War' except for the usual performance of 'Here Today', I realised that it wasn't ever going to happen unfortunately.

At this point, I simply hope that he is mainly in good voice at his concerts, so that if he does come back to the UK, and if his website doesn't crash, then I can finally see him in concert, even if he is playing the same songs that he always does.

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Paul's setlist seems no more "stagnant" than those of most artists with 50+ year big league careers. Ringo has probably not changed a single tune in his shows for several years. I am sure when he releases a new studio album he will add a couple of those tunes in and shake the rest of the list up slightly.

It's a well rehearsed show that plays largely to folks that splurge to see him once or twice in a lifetime, not a jamband playing what it feels like in the moment to fans who quit their jobs to follow them on a whole tour. And it's not like he does so many shows that it would get dull to him. I am sure he averages no more than 20-30 concerts a year since putting this band together 15 years ago.

"Yawn, it is so dull to be playing a concert with pretty much the same list as a concert I played 6 months ago. I feel so stagnated."

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  8. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Well you have more of a chance of seeing him live again than I do here in Australia :)

Mr. Explorer, Mumbojunk and theMess like this.
  9. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Good point; I wonder if he will ever return down under?

Maybe Neil Finn (a favourite of Paul's), could get him to visit NZ/OZ so that they could duet on 'Ode To A Koala Bear'?

:D

10. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That is true, which unfortunately means that the attitude of the Wings tours is gone for good, and that his solo material will never be promoted live again, apart from a potential solo-only material show, but I can't see that happening.

Mr. Explorer and Mumbojunk like this.
  11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

He no longer has the attitude of trying to establish a new band that can compete with the Beatles legacy based largely on their own material. He is content with celebrating and performing the most popular material from his overall career and giving most folks who have never seen him before what they want to hear.

If it was stagnant for him, he would be cutting his setlist down by 20-40% to a length more typical for rockers his age. He is trying to give folks as much as he has to give of the things that will please them most every night.

The plus side of a pretty set list is that if that is not what you want to hear, you know not to go. Someone interested in hearing it will gladly fill the seat.

12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I completely get what you are saying, and don't expect him to have that attitude any more, I just feel that it is a shame that so many hits and popular songs have been ignored; due to his understandable decision not to tour in the 80's, many hit singles were never performed live at the time that they were released, and I can't understand why since he then returned to touring, he has never played 'No More Lonely Nights', 'Wanderlust', 'Take It Away', 'Pipes of Peace' (UK no.1), 'With A Little Luck', 'Say Say Say' (he sang Ebony and Ivory after all), 'Waterfalls (UK no.5, and a song Paul praises), 'Goodnight Tonight' (played a few years ago once with Damon Albarn, and on tour in 1979, but long ignored in between), 'So Bad', etc.

I also can't understand why he doesn't play 4 or 5 songs from his reissues, whilst selling them at his concerts; it is a big missed opportunity, and in a set 38 songs long, he easily has enough space to include the likes of 'My Brave Face', 'Distractions', 'Put It There' and 'This One' in order to promote his current release, without boring casual fans.

I fully understand why Paul performs so many beloved Beatles songs, but I don't see why he is scared to play his solo hits; if he has the guts to debut 'Temporary Secretary' in concert (a great decision IMO), and a song like 'Why Don't We Do It In The Road' (another great choice), then why not play songs that were big hits, and songs that he likes enough to reissue in a deluxe package?

A few years ago, he mentioned wanting to play all of the 'New' album live, and yet he never did it; why? What is the worst that could have happened?

Paul is a hugely successful live act, and he does actually change his setlist around quite often, whilst also making the occasional brave choice, and I am not calling on him to completely change how he performs, I just wish that he would occasionally perform a solo only show, something that he has spoken about doing, and I just wish that he would swing the balance by 5 or 6 songs; no-one is going to avoid his concerts because he swapped out 'Lady Madonna', 'I've Got A Feeling', 'And I Love Her' and 'Ob-La-Di', and replace them with 'No More Lonely Nights', 'With A Little Luck', 'Take It Away' and 'Wanderlust'.

Ryan Lux, daveidmarx, Tord and 13 others like this.
  13. Perian

Perian Forum Resident

I'm not sure if this has been posted anywhere on the forum yet, but Paul did a Q&A before the Budokan show that can be seen here:

ポール・マッカートニーの「教えてポール!」 - LINE LIVE

Some of the questions were quite interesting (such as "will you play any songs from Flowers in the Dirt on the tour?" and "what can you tell us about the new album?"). Unfortunately his answers to those questions were typically vague and, well, Paulish. :realmad: Dear god, it's maddening. ;)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  14. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

It's interesting how time plays tricks on the mind. There's a moment about 14 minutes in where Paul says he remembers when they were filming Help! and he was in a cabin in Austria with John (following skiing scenes) , and he says they were playing an album listening to Here, There & Everywhere.

I don't think so Paul! :)

15. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I can't put it up, what did he say about the new album?!

16. Perian

Perian Forum Resident

LOL he has told that story many times. Somebody please tell him that could never have happened!

17. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

He said: "You know this album reminded me of working in the Beatles. You know the song Getting Better? John came up with "It couldn't get much worse". That was very John! (Laughs)"

18. Rose Decatur

Rose Decatur Forum Resident

In the past, he's said they were listening to demos. I find it unlikely he'd have HTE in demo form and it not make Rubber Soul (their next album) rather than Revolver, but I suppose it could be possible.

Of particular note to this forum is that Paul was asked how he listens to music (mainly CDs and iTunes) how many CDs and albums he has ("lots) and how he stores them (on racks, and he's been getting a lot of his vinyl from the Sixties cleaned).

Mr. Explorer, MsMaclen and theMess like this.
  19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Mr. Explorer, theMess and forthlin like this.
  20. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Those McCartney genes are indomitable! His only (biological) kid that doesn't look too much like him is Mary, who took after her mother in looks and career paths...

(Although, it is a bit of a peeve of mine when people or "news" articles seem so shocked that a child looks like their parent. I mean, it's fairly common!)

Mr. Explorer and Haristar like this.
  21. Haristar

Exactly. If she was a spitting image of - say - Abraham Lincoln, then yes, it would be a good news story.

22. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

I think Mary looks just like him.
    [​IMG]

Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Now that you mention it, there is a resemblance to young Abe:

[​IMG]

;)

24. Perian

Perian Forum Resident

Oops, the Mirror, the Daily Mail and the Sun have all removed their articles featuring the picture of Paul's child. I bet Paul and HM are really unhappy about the picture being shared on social media. Unfortunately the damage has been done, though.

25. Haristar

If I had a thirteen year old child I don't think I would want news articles about them online either.