Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Dammit, you really are the funny one! Come here cats, Arnie said something funny, and you actually like his jokes! Stupid cats! Oh great, the dog's laughing now too! Stupid dog!

2. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

"Historic deal encompasses McCartney's catalogue of master recordings and welcomes him home to label where he began his extraordinary career"

In what way did McCartney begin his "extraordinary career" at Capitol? Didn't he begin his career at Parlophone? Capitol wasn't even his first label in the US. Vee-Jay? Swan? Oh press departments, why must you lie to us?

Rickchick, theMess, mrjinks and 2 others like this.
  3. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

& not forgetting RRS, Mazzy.

Rickchick, theMess, JDeanB and 2 others like this.
  4. Not a lie at all. Of course there were releases on Vee Jay and Swan in the US first, but their American dominance began with Capitol Records. The music and their massive marketing started with Capitol. That launched them here in the USA.

5. RockyRoll

RockyRoll Forum Resident

Isn't Concord and Capitol both under the Universal Music Group umbrella? I doubt us fans will notice anything different at our end.

Bemagnus and vince like this.
  6. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Begin: verb perform or undergo the first part of (an action or activity).

He became famous in the USA with Capitol but they were not the first and he was already established in other parts of the world with other record labels.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  7. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Yes, Concorde also is distributed by Universal so no change there. By all reports FITD boxed set is done so I think it comes out prior to 2017 change over. Hopefully Capital can speed archives up although I seriously doubt it. But one can hope

theMess, vince and RockyRoll like this.
  8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Just be glad the Friday Music press department didn't write it.

"This deal, which is possibly the most historic in history, includes all of McCartney's catalog of brilliant albums, many of which are the very greatest of all time, and welcomes him home to the finest label in world history, Capitol, where he begain what would inarguably be the most important and extraordinary career of all time. One of the greatest mastering engineers of this century, Joe Reagoso, looks forward to remastering all these albums for the first time by himself for extra special musicality, and packaging them in high quality limited edition gatefold sleeves that present lyrics and other elements not seen in years."

reverendjim and theMess like this.
  9. Dr. Pepper

Was thinking that myself, and wasn't Capital the company that dissected his bands albums so badly that they felt the need to express their disgust with this?

[​IMG]

theMess and OobuJoobu like this.
  10. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

So, having read all of these posts, it sounds like this was mostly just an internal switch (since Concord is part of Universal, too)? Will this really make that much difference, I wonder?

D-

theMess, RockyRoll and vince like this.
  11. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Since all the non-indie labels are controlled by Sony, Warner, and Universal (which distributes Concord and Capitol), it's really much ado about nothing.

12. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

Aha! Which means that everything should continue uninterrupted, at its present snail's pace. Since Big Daddy Universal owns them both, the Archive releases are still Universal - all that will change is the replacement of the Concord logo with Capitol's. So it really is meaningless.

Is Concord actually under the Universal umbrella?

RockyRoll likes this.
  13. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Is it the 2nd or 3rd time that Paul signs with Capitol Records again?
    And will Capitol first have to re-issue all the previous Hear Music reissues/remasters before the Archive series is continued?

theMess likes this.
  14. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

What's that smell??? Oh yeah. Another greatest hits album. :realmad:

15. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Probably not but don t tell anyone:)

RockyRoll and vince like this.
  17. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

This may sound dumb but I like the Capitol dome logo, especially compared to Concorde or Hear Music, so it will be nice to see Paul's music on Capitol again.

18. Dr. Pepper

I forgot that this track was a b-side and not on Run Devil Run officially later an iTunes exclusive. It is Fabulous!

19. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Let's home he didn't get another override for this re-signing!!

Yorick likes this.
  20. Dr. Pepper

I have never seen this, but heard of it. Nice Run Devil Run live companion piece, much like the Live at Capital Complete Kisses compliments Kisses On The Bottom.

21. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I'm a bit mystified by this. Paul doesn't shift a lot of product of new releases, so nothing much there for Capitol except the back catalog. Capitol may have a stronger promotional presence than Hear Music or Concorde, but 74 year old guys don't get airplay. So what would Capitol offer that would persuade Paul to make a change?
    Or perhaps Paul is un-enamored with the way things have gone since 07--in other words perhaps he believes Capitol CAN shift more units than the last few albums.

Another thought is that Paul may be looking for some kind of long-term plan for his legacy. Would Paul love to be lumped in with Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, and other legendary Capitol artists? Not to mention that he loves Pet Sounds!

Rickchick, Paul H, RockyRoll and 3 others like this.
  22. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

You should pick up the Cavern dvd, Doc. There's a nice "bonus feature" I don't think exists elsewhere with clips of Paul recording the RDR album - I wanna say it's 20-25 mins or so, perhaps with some interview footage? Been awhile since I've seen it...

EDIT - the amazon listing mentions this:
    Run Devil Run promo (22 min.)​

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It's funny how Paul looks young here. Earlier in this thread, someone posted an MTV "Take It Away" promo clip, and seeing 1982 Paul made him look incredibly young. For some reason, I never think he looks "young" when I see photos of him with The Beatles (unless it's him in the late '50s).

24. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

I'm mystified by it, too, but I think your last guess is probably correct. He's thinking long-term, after he's gone. His whole body of work will be in one place, where he and the Beatles started. Plus Capitol is on sounder financial footing than it was when it was led by Guy Hands (who everyone seems to have disliked). And no one seems to be demeaning Concord in all this. In fact, Paul's press release notes: "The catalogue moves to Capitol/UMe from Concord, Paul's previous label partner on such Grammy-winning albums as Band On The Run (Best Historical Album, 2012), Kisses On The Bottom (Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album, 2013) and Wings Over America (Best Boxed or Special Limited Edition Package, 2014)."

I don't think he'd go out of his way to mention the Grammys for these albums if he was displeased with Concord. Or maybe Paul wanted Capitol because he wanted a company who could handle international distribution better than Concord could (given its smaller size)?

Also, to add further confusion, an LA Times story on this (which may or may not be accurate) suggested that Paul, post-2000, released his albums under his own imprint and just used Hear and Concord for distribution: "In the new millennium, however, he put out albums on his own MPL Communications imprint that were distributed stateside by Starbucks’ Hear Music label and then the Concord Music Group."

Doesn't that suggest that this new deal IS different? And that the albums won't carry MPL imprint anymore but be released from Capitol? So maybe this is the beginning of him moving certain operations out of MPL? Downsizing his company? (All speculation on my part obviously.)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

You forgot to mention the most extraordinary coming-soon cards in the universe.:)

vince and theMess like this.