Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Really sad news, especially with him being such a close friend of the Beatles, particularly George who loved him.

Bullis likes this.
  2. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I was about to begin my first college class of the day to when I heard the news. It wasn't long after that I read the first premature tweet that he passed away and a bit more kept coming in. By the time the midway break happened, I immediately checked again and to see if it was confirmed anywhere and I was reading now that he's in critical still. Hoping for the best for Tom.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  3. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Tord, JDeanB, supermd and 8 others like this.
  4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Not sure if this was mentioned yet re: the otherwise-unreleased-by-Paul original on the upcoming disc by Charlotte Gainsbourg:
    Source: Charlotte Gainsbourg Has Learned How to Cope with Stage Fright

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  5. Frank

Frank Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Hi! My name is Charlotte Gainsbourg. I think I can pull to pieces and improve Paul McCartney's musical compositions. Like my boots?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    JDeanB, Kevin55, Yorick and 1 other person like this.
  6. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman Well-Known Member

Hi Charlotte,

Great idea - Paul McCartney songs can be a bit rubbish, and you will no doubt improve whatever leftovers he has sent you, so go for it.

Yours,

Captain Caveman

7. mrjinks

Whilst I might tend to be (usually) concerned with such comments, I'm gonna pull out my (dusty) optimist card* and think that the fact that Paul's plays bass and piano on this makes me think he likes whatever alterations she made...

*dont tell :shh:

Frank and Mr. Explorer like this.
  8. Frank

Frank Senior Member

OK, but Kanye. He'll play with literally anybody as long as he thinks they have caché.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  9. mrjinks

I actually anticipated that response from you, knarf (and thought twice about posting it!). We're like an old married couple here. :)

Rob Hughes, Mr. Explorer and Frank like this.
  10. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I was thinking about going with how he wrecked Come and Get It, a wonderful simple 60s composition, with those Hollywood folks. Would that have been less predictable? :laugh:

Seriously, though. He recorded his scraps with Kanye and TMZ Rihanna and Johnny Depp. Is the fact that he'll pound a piano on tape a stamp of approval at this point or a mark of insecurity?

11. mrjinks

I'll hold my bets til I hear it. I'm hoping for something like the track Krall unearthed - the merits of that song shone through the David Foster-schlock glooped onto it.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

If I Take You Home Tonight is unmistakably Paul. Which is a good and bad thing. She sings it in with the same phrasing one would expect from Paul. So, at that point, she's not really adding much. Paul might as well have done it himself.

If someone else is getting a song, I think it makes sense to have it "pulled it to pieces." If they are just gonna do it straight, then Paul might as well do it himself.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Paul McCartney has always been very supportive of RSD, and this year is no exception. Macca spreads some holiday cheer with two 7" releases, one on red and one on green vinyl, featuring his classic "Wonderful Christmastime." McCartney is backed up by The Roots on this track, and the B-side of the red vinyl release features Norah Jones with a live performance of "Peace." If you saw him on his recent concert tour, you know Paul always gives 100%. This exclusive, limited edition RSD Black Friday release is no exception.

RSD '17 Special Release: Paul McCartney/Holidays Rule/The Decemberists - "Wonderful Christmastime"/"Jesus Christ" (GREEN)
    RSD '17 Special Release: Paul McCartney/Holidays Rule/Norah Jones - "Wonderful Christmastime"/"Peace" (RED)

14. Frank

Frank Senior Member

==
    If you saw him on his recent concert tour, you know Paul always gives 100%. This exclusive, limited edition RSD Black Friday release is no exception.
    ==
    Who writes these things?

15. mrjinks

The same guy who wrote the press release for the new vinyl issues?

Frank likes this.
  16. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Could have been worse. Could have had "Beatle legend" in there.

Frank likes this.
  17. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

100% -- in other words, "Comprehensive"

18. revolution_vanderbilt

What a relief. I thought it was only gonna have half of the song :rolleyes:

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

There is actually a pretty long list of songs that he didn't give us 100% of. :)

20. revolution_vanderbilt

Technically we didn't get the complete version of the original Wonderful Christmastime until 2011, although unlike the other songs from McCartney II, we weren't missing anything important.

21. Frank

Frank Senior Member

This new version is 1:27. The song is 3:47. I think this limited edition RSD Black Friday release actually gives about 40%

22. Rose Decatur

Rose Decatur Forum Resident

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

24. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

*Everybody* says "Hi"

25. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I think that's the first time I've seen Nancy referred to officially as "Nancy McCartney" rather than Shevell. Or have I not being paying enough attention?