Current Production Romantic Sounding Tube Gear

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone have direct experience with the Quicksilver Linestage(s)?

2. russk

russk Forum Resident

I always found Audible Illusions to be a good match with ARC when you want to add some sweetness and warmth.

3. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

While I recognize that this is a generalization, I prefer low-powered tube gear over higher power models that use multiple tube, particularly when those higher powered amps employ certain tube types like KT88s or 6550s. In that family of tubes, I like 6L6 and EL34s. For lower cost tube amps, I tend to like EL84 tubes, although quality control with current production EL84s is pretty dicey (fortunately they are inexpensive). For low-powered triodes, the warmest, most romantic tube is the 300B. For a higher powered triode, the 845 is pretty warm and lush sounding too. My personal preference in low-powered triode is the 2a3 and 45, but, the output of the 45 makes it really suitable only for very efficient speakers, particularly if used in a SET amp.

I currently run a low-powered pushpull amp that utilizes a quite nice sounding output tube, the 349, but that tube is quite hard to find.

russk likes this.
  4. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

What qualifies for "romantic". I've never owned a lot of really high end stuff, and never listened to and uber high end stuff, but my ARC Ref75SE is the best sounding power amp I have personally heard and by a pretty good margin....

My other tube experience is with Rogue and Bogen so I don't have a lot of reference.

5. ServingTheMusic

I agree across the board. If you need more than 50 wpc i say go solid state. To me to use an array of 8, or 16 power tubes to get 150, 200 wpc is misguided.

I also agree the 300B is a sweet tube.

Rolltide likes this.
  6. ServingTheMusic

Romantic means the music has a bit of a golden glow, maybe slightly diffuse..think the difference between an impressionist painting and
    a photo ...tubes, when at their best, seem to have more color, they make the music float. These are my personal definitions.

Paul K likes this.
  7. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I would not say that any of Decware tube amps that I own (Taboo MK II and Zen Select), or that I have personally heard would qualify as overly tubey or romantic. You can roll some tubes that would give it more of that effect if you're looking for it, but I consider Steve's designs very detail oriented, but without being forward or sterile .. perhaps just a tad of the golden glow in comparison to something syrupy.

Decfest 2015 is going on right now, if you want to hear some Decware gear playing through a live feed now is the time to check it out:

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?board=zenfest

At the top of the page, the second video from the left is the Live Feed ... I'm not sure how long it will stay going tomorrow, but I think you can still get a listen in.

There are 4 amps that have been cycling through, right now from left to right are (a) UFO Rachel (not 100% sure on this though), (b) Torii Jr, (c) Torii, (d) Zen Mystery AMP and (e) the ones on the back table that are on display (but I have not seen being played) are the new 6C33c Mono Block SET amps that are in development.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  8. russk

russk Forum Resident

I've only heard the little set model and a Torii 3 I believe but found them very detailed for tube amps.

Not to derail the thread but Ive been unable to find the answer to this question. Does Decware make tube covers for any of there amps?

9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Manley Stingray ii is totally romantic sounding. Really nice.

10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Perhaps some of the smaller EL34 amps do not have large enough power supplies. The Rogue Cronos Magnum II has a large power supply to give you both mids and a strong bottom end. It does feature a triode preamp, smooth and musical. This integrated preamp/amp weighs 55lbs. and most of the weight comes from the transformers.

There are a few things you can do:

1) Change out the 12AU7 small signal tubes with some nice NOS tubes. These tubes are not that rare, so they do not cost an arm and a leg. You can custom order your amp with NOS tubes. You can also change out the 12AX7's if you wish.

2) While this amp ships standard with KT-120 power tubes, they can be replaced with EL34's. I have found some Psvane EL34 tubes that are labeled UK-EL34. This is a tube that is designed to sound more like the NOS tubes found in the United Kingdom years back. A bit more sweet sounding, and relatively inexpensive.

3) Run the amp in Triode mode, rather than Ultra-Linear.

4) If you are not getting the bass you need with the EL34's, you can move up to KT-77's. They will give you more bass and will retain almost all of the mid's of the EL34's.

Unless you are talking the smaller wattage SET amps, most all modern day tube amps will be much more linear than amps made back in the 50's and 60's. The best way to deal with this is by rolling the tubes.

Remember too, that part of that romantic vintage sound is from the speakers. There are always plenty of nicely restored vintage speakers on eBay. I just got in a pair of 1960's vintage Electrovoice Aristocrats in nice Mahogany cabinets with restored and upgraded speakers.

If you are looking for that 60's tube sound, you will most likely need to purchase a tube amp from the early 60's. SH has suggested Fisher tube amps made between 1961 and 1966 in the 400 or 500 series. The 400B will give you a bit more mid's than the "C" series. Just shop carefully, and purchase from a highly rated eBay seller who can offer you an amp that has been completely restored from top to bottom.

Drew769 likes this.
  11. ServingTheMusic

Thanks for the feedback Informative.

And thanks for the link. How cool!

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I know of none, sorry.

13. ServingTheMusic

Great advice. Very familiar with the Rogue amps, including the CM. I love the Rogue sound.

I love the look too.

The Stereo 100, with KT120's, actually is just a wonderful amp as well.

14. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have a pair of their M-150 mono blocks that I upgraded from their M-120's. The 150's are a bit more linear than the 120's were with a clearer bottom end. Much more improved design and tube life it greatly improved but I do miss the richness of the 120's a bit.

I have their original CM with the KT-120's and I think the 120's sound good, not as sterile as I had thought they might sound compared to EL34's and KT88's that I run in the M-150.

I like that the Rogue sound is a strong full sound. Not like some amps that seem to run out of steam a bit early on.

15. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Do you mean like a cage (something that would keep little paws and fingers away? If so, I don't believe I've ever seen that on of their components.

16. ServingTheMusic

"Strong full sound" is a great descriptor.

17. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I think the bright SS amps today are designed to impress in the showroom because they accentuate details. I don't think the Quad or even JBL SS amps of the 80s are colored. They are simply tonally balanced. They don't make an immediate impression but sound good with a wide range of music and have longer term satisfaction.

As for current production romantic sounding gear I can only think of the Antique Sound Labs Cadenza (DT 1009) which uses 845 tubes.

18. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

I think the conrad-johnson Classic-2 pre/Classic Sixty power combo is hard to beat in terms of lushness yet tonally balanced and accurate. Great build quality and support too (easily reachable by phone and great to speak with, emails answered promptly).

I briefly heard the Quickslver Linestage/Mini Mite amp combo a few years ago and remember being impressed with the sound as well as the construction; probably a great choice, especially given the price.

19. ServingTheMusic

Great call on the CJ combo. And what a handsome pair too. That pair actually did come to mine when starting the thread..

The only thing that bugs me about the Quicksilver amps are those horrific binding posts.

20. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

Yes, definitely. I think the Mini Mite had the old style terminal strips that only accomodate 1/4" spades and medium gauge bare wire. Easy enough to upgrade and wouldn't be a deal-breaker, but is kind of a pain.

21. russk

russk Forum Resident

Do they still have crappy binding posts? I love the sound of their gear but have always thought they were ugly as sin.

22. russk

russk Forum Resident

The horn monos and the full function pre are fantastic sounding on Klipsch Cornwalls

23. ServingTheMusic

I am ok with QS looks..its those restricting binding posts that get me..the same way that the horrible captive power cords on Van Alstine gear was
    a deal killer.

24. ServingTheMusic

I agree. But I don't understand why they even make them that way.

25. ServingTheMusic

I can only imagine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.