Current Value Beatles 1980's UK Vinyl Black Mono Box Set BM1

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by rpd, Mar 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpd

rpd Senior Member Thread Starter

Does anyone have any idea what this set is worth these days? Not a lot of them out there. Obviously, the current mono set is excellent...but I assume this set is still collectable..

Thoughts?

2. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Stupidly sold mine in 2014 and got $1200 for it. Looking at Discogs, they're going for more like $1400 now -- and that's based off a sale from almost two years ago. I see blue boxes all the time, but the black mono boxes are incredibly rare at this point. Red boxes probably more so.

3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I've (casually) observed the price of Red mono vinyl going down a bit after the 2014 reissues. I don't know anything about the box you're talking about though. There was one copy sold on Discogs, ever, apparently, and it went for $1400, but one copy is a pretty small sample size. I'd wager that box will always be collectible to a point, but I don't know if it will go up any more than it already has due to the availability (and quality) of the new LP's. At least in my mind, price and demand is in part driven by buyers who buy this stuff to play it, not just collect it. But I could be wrong.

4. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

I agree. Big Beatles fan here, but I wouldn't be interested due to the quality of the 2014's.

googlymoogly likes this.
  5. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yes, small sample size because none are being listed for sale. I think the rarity is what drives the value of these particular sets. They're pretty much never on eBay or Discogs, and I've never seen one in a store. Japanese red mono vinyl is fairly common, by comparison.

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Inner'esting. Didnt know value had increased. Maybe time to sell mine.

7. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Given there are hardly ever any for sale, you're probably not going to do much worse than I did when I got rid of mine. Only '80s mono box sets I ever see for sale these days are the Japanese red vinyl boxes, and then it's generally the 1986 version.

Maybe it's just seller's remorse, but I wish I hadn't sold mine. The new mono box is excellent, yes, but for whatever reason, I regret getting rid of my black box and I'd eventually like to get another one of those, or a red box. You should hang on to yours!

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I have 2 black boxes, but one of the boxes is pretty beat up. Maybe I should unload that one while the going is good.

9. rpd

rpd Senior Member Thread Starter

This is a really cool set, and very collectible....but I've gotten away from just having stuff to collect. Probably going to let it go...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.