"Cursed" bands

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

How about Buddy Holly? Not a band but he ran into a lot of bad luck in 1959.

A few of his fans thought he'd sold out by recording more "mature" material featuring lush string arrangments.

Gets put on a tour in the bitter cold of winter with a dilapidated bus with no working heater.

Charters a plane to a show only to die in a fatal crash in a field.

His wife who had been carrying his child miscarrys a few weeks later which kills any hope for the next Buddy Holly.

Not to mention, he was not thought of highly in his Texas hometown. Only years later did they put up a statue of him and start to worship him as a founding father of the so-called Texas sound.

starduster likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, actually I would!

3. Correct - great looking sleeve as usual with Factory - based on the design of a 5.25" Floppy disc including authentic die-cut holes - a true work of art !

However, sadly the band lost 2p on every copy sold. I think they anticpated this but Tony Wilson reckoned they wouldn't sell very many copies anyway so what the heck.

4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

NY Dolls

By virtue of fame/fortune/life past 50, the Ramones.

5. Mike1055

Mike1055 Forum Resident

James Dewar played bass in that band. He died back in 2002 years after having a stroke. He's best known for his vocals with Robin Trower.

keyXVII likes this.
  6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

May your doodie come to life and bite your butt!

7. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

only drummer in history who got better after losing an arm.

8. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

You know it!:righton: At "The Monsters of Rock" in 1987 Rick made his Super-Triumphant Comeback...the Standing ovation he'd gotten was so powerful,it nearly blew the band right off of the stage-"Like a Hair Dryer" was what Joe Elliot said on the group's "Behind the Music"..after that he was known as "The God of Metal Thunder"! Michael Boyce

ARK likes this.
  9. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Exactly: the more copies they sold, the more money they lost...
    ...and it became the best-selling 12" single ever. :laugh:

ARK likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Man, you Rush fans are nasty! :laugh:

11. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

People died a lot in the Temptations history.

12. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

Aside from their guitarist, how are they cursed?

13. cparamo

cparamo Active Member

T. Rex immediately came to mind when I read the thread title. Mickey Finn died of liver problems in 2003, and the only living member from the Electric Warrior/The Slider/Tanx era is drummer Bill Legend.

14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Don't forget all the money trouble with offshore accounts the family later went through

15. Oatsdad

In terms of what I know about the Crue (off the top of my head, so excuse any goofs):

Vince Neil was involved in a car accident that killed another musician.

Nikki Sixx briefly DIED of a drug overdose.

Tommy Lee married Pam Anderson.

That last one is the scariest and most tragic to me! :D

16. Stuff happens. People get older. We get cancer, have strokes, heart attacks. I don't think anyone can name someone that hasn't had something bad happen. It's not a curse. It's called living in uncertain times (which I might have only one certainty about them--their uncertainty).

I'm reminded of that line from "The Mummy Returns"...."Everything is cursed to you. This is cursed. That is cursed".

Except in a "Mummy" movie it's probably true.

driverdrummer likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

That's the point Dave D made earlier when he talked about his own life: if you live long enough, you'll be able to spotlight plenty of issues of the sort you mention. We all have our share of downs - they don't make us "cursed".

Some of the acts mentioned here come close, though, like the Temptations. But bands like the Who and Led Zep just ain't in the ballpark... :shrug:

18. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I don't consider those events as being part of a curse. They are consequences of excerising poor judgement. Vince chose to get behind the wheel even though he was drunk. Nikki chose to use heroin.

keyXVII likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

Hey, I'm not saying they're actually "cursed" - I just responded to the guy who didn't know what "signs" of a curse existed.

I really do think that being married to Pam Anderson would be a curse. Or being married to Tommy Lee - not sure which one's scarier/scungier. I guess they deserve each other!

20. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident

And now, the last Ramone, Tommy (nee Erdelyi), died only last year at age 62!

~Ben

21. The Cowsills.

Cursed from childhood by an evil abusive father who also blew the fortune they made during their short era of popularity.
    Barbara died at 56 from emphysema.
    Barry died at 50, probably drowned in New Orleans in the aftermath of Katrina.
    Bill died at 58 from various health problems.

22. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident

And The Partridge Family, though not technically a real band, did lose one member a few days ago in Suzanne Crough (she played Tracy).

23. mr_mjb1960

For a while,during their reunion in the '80's,they were forced to use "Graby Mope",instead of "Moby Grape"! Their Debut was only available On CD for a very short time before Lawsuits forced it to be OOP!

24. mr_mjb1960

Another Cursed band was a Band known as "The Three Ring Circus"..They'd had only one 45 and Lp,both titled "Groovin' On the Sunshine",in 1968 before breaking up after their issues.

25. mr_mjb1960

And Dad Bud Cowsill died in the '80's...Also,the Father used the Rhode Island Mansion as a Down Payment on the Sons' Future as Musicians,and was about to lose the house,when They'd gotten a hit!

starduster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.