Cursing and things on basic cable-is it now "anything goes"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jupiter8, Oct 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I recall the night Trevor started using "s**t" on The Daily Show in Summer, and wondered if I'd come in late when perhaps he started talking about a new policy. Comedy Central is of course, "expanded basic". But, the expanded-basic-cable original shows, such as what runs on FX, or TNT et cetera, still have to be aware the public sees no difference between their programming and, say, Netflix or Amazon Prime, so there's a lot of tonnage (and altering of public perception) that's out of their control (TBS, which was originally broadcast Channel 17 in Atlanta, probably holds tightly onto their family-station-reputation out of tradition; most of their original programming is comedy anyway).

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I DO like the cute 'disclaimer' they show after the commercials on IFC..
    They just showed "We're The Millers" a few days ago...
    and, yes...the 'turancula-bite' scene is intact!

3. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Whenever I see someone put a laugh emoji after their own comment I know it's not going to be funny!

unclefred, Chris DeVoe and DHamilton like this.
  4. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Boy thats for sure. How many times even recently has a channel like TCM censored Charlton Heston s speech at the end of "Planet of the Apes" , the "God" in "Goddamn you all to hell" has been cut for the basic and extended, not HBO , channels for 45 years.
    TCM was just my example of extended cable, whether they did or not Im not sure. Take care, John M.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Welcome to "the new norm", profanity is now mainstream, pretty sad...

unclefred and GlamorProfession like this.
  6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

FX (and FXX) manage to show BOTH, and edited "Deadpool" and, after 8pm, the un-edited version..
    cussin' up a storm!..(pun intended).

jupiter8 likes this.
  7. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Same here, and I went to catholic grammar school. Also, in the neighborhood I grew up in, it was part of the day to day vernacular.:laugh:
    Seriously, it amazes me that people are so uptight about cursing and nudity but have no problem with violence. That says so much about this country.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    lightbulb, Myke, Vidiot and 2 others like this.
  8. jupiter8

Yeah my kid's been incessantly bugging me to watch "Deadpool"...I was hoping the cut FX version wouldn't be too rude for an 11 year old!

9. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Cursing on TV is just behind bellybutton lint on my list of important problems.

10. jupiter8

Late in Jon Stewart's run the 11PM hour showing would allow "sh--it" but it was bleeped when they repeated in daytime hours

11. jupiter8

unclefred and Shawn like this.
  12. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

This is exactly why I stopped watching TV...with the exception of horse racing and the weather.

13. Dillydipper

I remember those - that was great positioning for you guys. I'm not all that impressed that people can crow about talking caustically, but ephitets like the f-bomb are as much of a sound effect or a rimshot as they are a word. They are intended to elicit an emotional response from the audience, and should be protected as such.

jupiter8 likes this.
  14. Dillydipper

Sooo...you liked all the poop, huh...? :D

15. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

As a nation, we were left scarred. Horribly, horribly scarred..... I still feel dirty somehow.
    This is why we had to legalize cannabis.

D.D.

kevywevy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.