DAC Connection: Long USB or Long RCA's

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockin_since_58, Aug 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

In my system configuration, My DAC sits on the desk with my computer and the output is connected to my McIntosh receiver with and approximately 20ft RCA cable.

Would it be better to move the DAC next to the receiver so I can use a short RCA cable but then use a 16ft USB cable to connect the DAC to the computer?

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

What DAC are you using?
    If the DAC has a SPDIF input you could use a long SPDIF cable instead along with a USB to SPDIF converter.

3. rockin_since_58

Schiit Bifrost 4490 with an iMac desktop computer.

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Long coax cable all day long.

That said, I used a 15' USB cable with my Modi without issue.

5. Ham Sandwich

The SPDIF solution I was thinking of is the Schiit Eitr. Coax SPDIF can do 20 or 30 feet. Put the Eitr right next to the iMac. Then run a long digital coax cable to the DAC. But you may not want to spend $200 on the Eitr plus the cost of a long digital coax SPDIF cable.

You can try using a 12-15 foot USB cable and then long enough interconnects to reach the amp. If you don't mind having the DAC put somewhere between the computer and the audio gear. If that doesn't work then just go with long shielded interconnects. Like maybe BlueJeans or similar. But long interconnects like that can be about $100 for the BlueJeans.

6. rockin_since_58

If I go with the long USB, I can get the DAC very close to the amp and then could use a 3ft BlueJeans low capacitance RCA cable.

Rolltide likes this.
  7. Ham Sandwich

That'll work and will be the least costly way to do it. An AmazonBasics 16 foot USB cable is $6.

For the BlueJeans interconnect, I actually like their Belden 1505F cable better than their LC-1. The 1505F seems to sound better with my gear, along with being more flexible and lighter. For connecting a DAC the difference in capacitance between the LC-1 and 1505F isn't an issue.

Rolltide likes this.
  8. rockin_since_58

I ended up ordering the $6 16ft USB cable and a 3ft LC-1 from Amazon. They did not have an option to order a cable with the 1505F. Will be here late next week.

9. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Yes...

Absolutely, use the longer USB for digital transfer. So long as no data error (there should not be at 16' for USB 2.0), you will achieve sound no different from any other length within spec. With an asynchronous DAC these days, there will be no issues with stuff like jitter.

Analogue RCA cables of this length however may be susceptible to noise - measurable perhaps but not necessarily audible.

10. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

11. Ham Sandwich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.