DACs: Sony DA4ES or C555ES built in?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldenBoy, Dec 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater Thread Starter

I was wondering which of these units has the better DAC's for redbook playback and whether I should stick with the built in DACs on the C555ES or go out digitally to the DA4ES A/V receiver?

PS
    I will be posting soon to update you all about how my multichannel upgrade went as I finally have everything all setup but just need a little more time with it all.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

IMHO, go with what is onboard. I don't totally agree with digital out unless there's a reason (DtS, DD). A lot of Sony units have decent DAC onboard.

Just MHO.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

GoldenBoy, ultimately, you will have to compare the sound with the analog and digital outputs. When you try the analog outputs, be sure to have the analog bypass mode on the 'DA4ES engaged. That way, you will prevent the analog signals from being processed through the receiver's A/D and D/A converters, which can compromise the sound.

If you do the comparison, I would like to hear the results. Assuming you use quality analog cables (not necessarily very expensive ones), I would expect the sound using the analog outputs on the 'C555ES to be very good in your test. I own two 'C555ES changers in two systems and use the analog outputs on both. The sound delivered from the analog outputs is very impressive. It is true that I am using stereo integrated amps, so use of the 'C555ES as a transport is not an option in the systems, but I have no desire to get outboard DACs.

4. GoldenBoy

Well I agree. I don't really believe in the use of outboard DACs either. To me, most CD players of the caliber of the C555ES have excellent onboard DACs surpassing outboards most of the time. I was just thinking though that, since they are both Sony ES models and the DA4ES is Sony's second to the top of the line (actually it's pretty identical to the DA7ES except for some very minor features; specs are identical) receiver that perhaps the DACs on the DA4ES may equal or surpass the C555ES's.

Anyhow, I did give them both a good long listen and ultimately decided that I prefer to use the onboard DACs in the C555ES. Oh, and yes, I did listen in analogue direct mode - what other way is there? ;)

5. KeithH

Goldenboy, thanks for posting the results of your comparison. At this point, I can't say that there is no merit to using an outboard DAC since I have limited experience with them. I would be curious to hear my CDs with a well-regarded DAC like the Musical Fidelity A324 in my systems. Of course, the A324 upsamples, so it may not make for a fair comparison. I don't recall if you can use the A324 in 16/44.1 mode.

6. GoldenBoy

Sure thing Keith. One thing though, I really don't believe in up-sampling, but that's just my opinion. I won't bother to go in to detail for fear that I might start one of those never ending threads. ;):laugh: Anyhow, I must say again that I agree with Skott in that most Sony ES players have very decent on-board DACs and that also unless there is a need to go out-board like dts or DD, I prefer not to use them.

PS

If you've got any questions about the equipment I use, you can check my profile. :)

7. KeithH

Goldenboy, I appreciate your point of view. I don't have enough experience with upsampling to have an opinion either way. At the very least, I would expect upsampling to sound different. As a result, I would rather compare an outboard DAC to a player while using the former in 16/44.1 mode.

I too agree with Sckott, as I have owned several Sony ES CD players over the years, most of which I still own. They all have sounded great through the analog outputs, especially considering the price.

8. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

As a general rule of thumb. First do a comparsion on your player by listening to music your familiar with using the digital out and the analog out.
    You should pay attention to bass extension, dynamics and imaging.

Most Sony's ES CD players do come well equipment.

A quick rule of thumb that is worth consideration.

In the $1000 and under range

If the MSRP of your CD/SACD player is 1/3 the price or less of the MSRP of your Receiver then the digital out might sound better for Redbook playback.

Always do an A/B test in making a final decision.

9. GoldenBoy

Actuall Gary, I believe the original MSRP of my CD/SACD player was/is higher than the MSRP of my receiver.

Anyhow, like I said before, I did listen to both and determined that I prefer to use the on-board DACs in the player. I have in fact been listening to both for several days even after I did my initial comparisons, just to make sure. One difference I did notice is that there seems to be an increase of about 2 or 3dB in gain when using the receiver's DACs.

10. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Hi Goldenboy,

If the player is more expensive than the receiver that's the best reason to use the onboard DAC in the player.

I'm in the same boat as you. My SACD player retails for three times what my
    receiver cost.

For my setup I always use the onboard DACS.

Happy Holidays!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.