daleks, what a joke!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by redfloatboat, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident Thread Starter

in the sixties the daleks were good, even in the seventies too. however in the 21st century they are pretty useless as an intelligent race that wants to take over the universe. there have been so many good aliens and monsters over the last few decades that really show up how awful daleks are.

they should get a make-over. what good is that plunger except for doing plumbing work? that needs getting rid of and some kind of artificial limb put in it's place. how can a race scare all the people of the universe with a plunger?
    quite simply daleks aren't believable.[even for fiction.]
    they are slow and dim-witted. you can easily get behind them and spin them around, like what happened many years ago.
    the final straw for me was when they started flying, that was embarrassing!

'exterminate!' how stupid is that? these are supposed to be really intelligent beings yet they have a catchphrase!
    the worst thing about it is that the writers in the past thought they'd give the cybermen[my favourite] a catchphrase as well!
    why would they keep yelling 'delete' over and over again?
    the cybermen look scary but saying 'delete' so much when they're going to kill someone makes them comedic. its a case of 'well it works with the daleks,' maybe the cybermen should have their own word?

we've been spoilt with great aliens on tv and in films, daleks are literally useless. there is nothing scary about them, and it's obvious.
    they are from a different time and have not aged well at all. they're just about the same as they always have been.

alexpop, Yovra, Rufus McDufus and 3 others like this.
  2. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

While I admire their goal of killing all humans, I must admit their methods are pathetic at best.

3. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Err, no, they weren't. They were a joke back then too.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  5. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

That's crap, they can hover up stairs.

6. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Put them in the curry!

7. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

So that raygun arm transforms into some sort of vacuum cleaner attachment? Oh, hover up the stairs. ;)

8. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

I won't post any links 'cos they're probably NSFW and/or some of you may find the humour offensive, but for ultimate Dalek lameness, go to YouTube and search 'Gay Daleks'.

9. TheLazenby

Believe me, if some dimwit found the Doctor pulling out one of his grey hairs offensive (...yes, seriously), SOMEONE will find gay Daleks offensive. :p

10. stepeanut

You do know they're not real, right?

11. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Everytime I hear the laughter before the joke, it renders any comedy unfunny, especially if it drowns out said joke. Canned laughter or live studio audience, it doesn't make a difference. I say this as someone who likes plenty of sitcoms. I would call it the equivalent of going to a concert and having the stranger next to you talking during your favorite song.

12. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Nah, you be very squarely wrong on that one! They were at their best back then! Unless you've talking about "The Chase", in which case I agree. But other than that one blip, the 60s Daleks had it going on! Never bettered by anyone!

13. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I liked when Victor Lewis Smith defended those sketches by saying "The Daleks have had their day". it was wonderfully pleasing how wrong he turned out to be. Now the Gay Daleks are almost forgotten while the originals rock on.

14. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I always have a problem with the sci-fi trope of "The race that wants to exterminate/destroy all others to rule the universe".

Okay so you have destroyed all other life in the universe and are masters of it. So what do you do now?

Erm...hmmmm...we could alwa...no we killed them a century ago...got some dusting to do I guess!"

This is why I think the Daleks/Skynet etc. are all crap at their jobs because they know if they were actually good at it then boredom and irrelevance would ensue.

CusBlues likes this.
  15. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I actually owned the www.whitewee***.com domain for a few years. Why...I don't know. Seemed a good idea at the time.

16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I thought hovering was a good improvement. Flying, however, was just silly.

17. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

You would think that with all of their technology, the Daleks would redesign their armor so it floats all of the time instead of rolling around.

18. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

My biggest peeve is the voice. It's just wrong since the re-boot, with the wrong inflections.

19. TheLazenby

....They can still hover up stairs. You missed the point.

20. One thing's for sure, Gay Daleks would be a better band name than Gay Dad.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I still stand by my previous comment. I can remember as a near teen kid watching the OldWho reruns and thinking how rubbish the Daleks were with their eye-stalks and toilet plunger appendages and (back then) the inability to travel over non-level polished floors (though somehow they managed to appear in various quarry pit planets). They weren't derisively called pepper-pots for nothing.

Back then, I preferred the Cybermen which seemed like more credible and capable adversaries.

I agree with you, it's a pretty nonsensical goal, if you assume a rational mind is at play. However, they need not be rational or may have an innate directive to achieve this goal, just like we have to survive. Even humans, through irrational adherence to ideology, often act against their own interests.

22. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

In 1968 I saw "Doctor Who and the Daleks" as the first of a double-feature. The second feature was "Night of the Living Dead."

ajsmith likes this.
  23. stepeanut

Frankly, I haven't seen the show since about 1976. I had better things to do, even as a small child.

The Punch cartoon is famous and, regardless of any truth within the internal logic of the show, still funny. That was the point.

24. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

it they spent less time screaming and more time firing, they would've conquered the universe ages ago...

25. kippy

kippy Forum Resident

I am not the biggest Dr. Who fan, but you people do not get the Daleks at all. They are more of an existential threat. I find the robot voice unsettling. R2D2 and C3PO are totally lame. One is wheeling around on tiny wheels, and the other is a big gay robot who shuffles around. I am not sure R2D2 wheeling around on the sand planet makes sense at all. With modern buildings now handicapped accessible, I think the Daleks would have no trouble getting around most major government buildings and tourist attractions.

eddiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.