Damaged Stones discs/digipaks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GuyDon, Aug 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anyone else had a problem with damaged Stones packaging and/or discs? I preordered several discs from Best Buy.com and purchased several others in various stores. So far, nearly every one has been damaged in some way. The plastic cd spindle/holder for three titles have been broken and two copies of Hot Rocks had scratched discs. The clerks at my local brick and mortar Best Buy know me by name now because of all the exchanges. Any one else or is it just my luck?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Must have been Bubba at lunch who sat down for a burger, and the box under him said "Abkco".

Just your luck. ~18 stones disc, and not one issue.

3. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Do what a friend of mine does with all discs. Shake em' a little bit and see if the CD is "floating" around in the jewel case. If it is pick another one.

If it's a one of a kind CD, in the past I've mentioned my concern to the cashier and asked to open it in front of them after purchasing it. I tell them if the case is all broken inside I'm going to want another one, "That ok?"

4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Last Christmas, my wife gave me the Fawlty Towers DVD box (I've been watching that show since it was first on TV/it's one of the best ever series IMO/12 episodes of perfection) and all the spindles were broken and the discs were loose & heavily scratched. I loved the present and tried to return it a few weeks later for a new one. My wife took that as an insult (I could do no right at that time) and that was one of her final reasons for wanting out (on top of other things). Damn spindles (and damn me for just wanting the discs with tons of scratches??). The spindles and the possiblity of breakage are my main, big complaint about digi-paks. What if the spindle breaks 5-10 years from now and there aren't any replacements to match the other 21 in the set? Of course, I really don't care but I just think these paper and plastic things are not my first choice of packaging...

Todd

5. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, I just received another package from BestBuy.com (this one containing Metamorphosis) and I took Dan's advice and shook it before I opened it. Sure enough, I can hear pieces of the plastic spindle in there. Looks like another trip to Best Buy....

6. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Yep -- the spindle on my Between the Buttons CD is broken. So whose problem is this -- mine, ABCKO's or J&Rs? Mine was mail ordered.

Of course, if these had been in jewel cases, it would only cost me $0.99 to fix this, tops.

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I would strongly suggest to others here on the forum, pack the Digipaks away, in a safe spot and don't use them unless you must. The center spindle is made of acrylic, and WILL break a hell of a lot eaier than vinyl/nylon black trays.

Put the discs in jewel boxes naked. Not like the CD labels are all that much of an eye-sore alone. They look quite snazzy!

The digipacks are paper, and will get marred up from use. Put them in bunches, maybe in a ziplock sandwich bag. Perfect fit.

8. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

dolstein,

Just take them to any store and ask for a replacement. If they ask for a receipt just say it was a gift. All these damaged goods will be sent back to the distributor...

Todd

9. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Or better yet, just put the new discs in the old ABKCO jewel boxes and store the old ABKCO discs away in the new digipaks. Clean and simple.

Jay

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

If enough returns are received maybe they'll change to jewel cases.

11. There seems to be a serious problem with these discs. I have been to the local Circuit City, Coconuts and Tower Records, and at each store at least three or four of the Stones CDs I picked up had loose discs or at least loose plastic rattling around. People may have thought I was crazy but I chose each CD I was about to purchase very carefully, holding it up to my ear and shaking and shaking it.

12. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Too late - sold my old Hot Rocks back to a local used store before I knew the new ones would be Digipacks!

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I heard that the second pressings are going to be packaged in jewel cases?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.