Damaged Vinyl Record?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ARTPOP, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARTPOP

ARTPOP Member Thread Starter

Hi! I just joined in this forum to ask for help. So I got an FKA twigs vinyl and I played it on my turntable. On the first few plays, there was no problem or whatsoever. But after I played it again, I was surprised that the sound was so deep and low, as if her voice was in slow motion. What does this mean? Is the problem on the vinyl or on the turntable? Help me. :(

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

As you did not mention what table you have and also have not filled out your equipment profile, it may be harder to help ya'. Make sure nothing is dragging on the platter, test with another LP to see if it is happening to other discs. Do you have a pitch control? Is the belt slipping, if a belt drive?

Joshua277456 and Muzyck like this.
  3. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Is it 45rpm and could you possibly have it at 33 somehow? That would result in "the sound was so deep and low, as if her voice was in slow motion."

Everyone here has probably done that at some point.
    :doh:

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yes:oops:

5. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

What is an FKA twigs?

6. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

I had to look her up because I didn't know either. http://www.discogs.com/artist/3452157-FKA-Twigs

I feared the worst, but she is far from being unlistenable, based on the track they had first in the video playlist at Discogs. I plan to check her out further when I get a moment to myself later.

7. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

On the plus side, there is no way to damage a record so that it plays at the wrong speed, so your record is probably fine :) Your turntable on the other hand. . .

The Pinhead likes this.
  8. If it sounded fine before and now it doesn't it's more than likely turntable related.

9. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I listened to a whole song from a Primus album before I noticed that it was a 45 and not 33 1/3 record. I did not ever hear the album before so I didn't know how it was supposed to sound. At least I have that going for me. :sigh:

Slick Willie, BuddhaBob and Aftermath like this.
  10. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Yep, done that....my thing is forgetting to hit the mono button when going back to stereo.....:shrug:

Clonesteak and BuddhaBob like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.