Damn Yankees(The Group)-Were They Really That Bad?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ Phoenix, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Good song, but Price of Love is even better.

driverdrummer likes this.
  2. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Dawn Patrol for sure. The most hard rocking of their releases IMO. They had other good stuff after that but kinda got dragged into the whole power ballad thing of the mid 80's.

Matthew Tate, artfromtex and stodgers like this.
  3. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

My brother got to interview Ted during this time period for a public access show and said Ted couldn't have been cooler to them. He said he was very friendly.

4. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

They were ok at the time. I saw them at the Ohio State Fair in 1991. My girlfriend liked them. I remember giving Ted Nugent the finger when he started with his political shtick - all the hilljacks in attendance loved it though.

5. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

This one is good and cheap too:

http://www.amazon.com/Extended-Versions-NIGHT-RANGER/dp/B000P6R89U

[​IMG]

As stated above, Dawn Patrol is pretty good too. Probably their best.

Somewhere In California is a recent release and it sounds really good, I like that it has such a classic NR sound.

6. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Didn't know about thisone. Just ordered it!!!

Philip

MikeInFla likes this.
  7. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Even worse than bad.

8. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Songs like Kid Ego, Get The Funk Out and the likes just didn't float my boat at all...I usually find in most genres there's bands you love and then there's ones that for some reason or another you don't...there's really no clear cut
    explanation is there?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

Yeah thier best song for sure.

10. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Loved High Enough when it came out. Come Again too is fabulous. Both albums they released were very good especially the first record. And of course, the industry was changing around that point so indeed they were in a tight position there.

driverdrummer likes this.
  11. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

They did its called Influence, cover tunes that Jack and Tommy liked and did a good Job of covering.

MikeInFla likes this.
  12. MikeInFla

13. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

No, they weren't that bad. The first album had several strong songs, but has not aged well due to the very dated Nevison production. I HATE HATE HATE the thin drum sound that was a characteristic of all the albums Nevison produced around the same time (Heart, Ozzy, Kiss, etc.). Sounds like the drummer was hitting a piece of aluminum foil that was processed through a synth. I'd love to hear those albums with more organic-sounding drum tracks.

I never did get around to buying the second album even though I really liked the first one. I was more interested in Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, AIC, and other bands of that ilk around that time.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

I like this one

FVDnz, Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  15. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I liked DY a lot. I thought both their albums were really good. Shaw and Blades had a great melodic sensibility and combined with Ted's grit made it a great combination. I'm bummed I never got to see them live when they were around. I remember seeing Ted in 94 which must have been right after they split and I remember him doing Don't Tread. Always liked that song.

MikeInFla, Matthew Tate and stodgers like this.
  16. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

It was on the soundtrack album for Dan Aykroyd's hellacious box-office bomb "Nothing But Trouble" (1991). :D

clhboa and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Good to see the housekeeping has been kept up ;-)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. MikeInFla

I always thought "Come Again" would have sounded good on a Styx album.

19. MikeInFla

20. MikeInFla

Both Styx and Night Ranger have covered the song. And as mentioned Ron Nevison's production is dated but the original version is better than these two. Although NR's version has an intresting break in the middle from Nugent.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  21. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Picked up my first Night Ranger LP for a five spot yesterday. Not great condition, but will see if I can salvage it.

22. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

I finally got this album (and the others from this purchase) cleaned up to play - Midnight Madness, which I would guess is their biggest hit. I knew the lead track and Sister Christian, but I thought that I had never heard anything else on here... until halfway through side two. When You Close Your Eyes came on and my heart skipped. This is one of those songs that I had heard numerous times without ever knowing who sang it, and I love it. It was a terrific surprise.

The entire album though was nothing special otherwise though. I like Gillis's playing, but the tracks themselves had a really generic feel. If I see Dawn Patrol, I'll give it a shot though.

23. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

The worst movie ever!!!

24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

anyone have anymore info on the 3rd album? if I recall "crave", "damned if ya do", "I won't go away", "kong", "straight down the line" , "yes I can", "I will be your witness, "best new face", "shine on" and possibly a cover of "natures way" all started at least in infancy stage during these sessions as demo's or even songs marked to be on the actual album correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.