Dan Auerbach - Waiting on a Song, new solo album. June 2, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turbo2k, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident Thread Starter

Dan Auerbach's second solo album Waiting On A Song to be released on June 2 on Vinyl, CD and 8-track.

[​IMG]

Exclusive And Limited Bundles Include:
    • Translucent Yellow/Black Vinyl With Autograph
    • Exclusive 8-track And A Vintage 8-track Player
      Autographed By Dan
    • Waiting On A Song T-Shirt
    • Waiting On A Song Seat Cushion
    • Waiting On A Song Digital Album
    • Instant Download Of The Digital Single
      "Shine On Me"
    Easy Eye Sound - Official Store

ScramMan2 likes this.
  2. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Cool, loved his first solo album.

ScramMan2 likes this.
  3. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Great musician. Looking forward to this. First song sounds great too!

4. Dart56

Dart56 Forum Resident

JL6161 likes this.
  5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I'll be picking this up!

6. Catch22

Catch22 Forum Resident

"Shine On Me" has a hint of Lindsey Buckingham, too.

It has all the makings of a great summer song.

Looking forward to the album.

JL6161 likes this.
  7. Turbo2k

I love the title track and video!

Volt-and-Volume likes this.
  8. Turbo2k

King Of A One Horse Town is equally great... and another great video.

Can't wait for the album!

Volt-and-Volume likes this.
  9. Both songs are great. King Of A One Horse Town is my personal favourite, though. I also love the retro album cover.

Turbo2k likes this.
  10. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Wow. What a project! This guy has positively nailed that 70's vibe. Wonder what this means for the Black Keys...?

11. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Full album is streaming now via NPR. Can't imagine an easier-to-digest listen -- this is one slickly produced slab of Motown/Stax-inspired soul-pop!

The lyrics to the title track indicate Dan had some issues with writer's block, which explains why there is nothing particularly groundbreaking here. The record definitely favours sugary melodies and tart arrangements over insightful lyrics. And there ain't nothing wrong with that -- that's pop, baby! This album will soundtrack a lot of patio nights this summer, I reckon.

Look forward to spinning this on wax!

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    team2 and ScramMan2 like this.
  12. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I heard a couple of tracks on NPR that I liked a lot, along with the album review, will be ordering the vinyl.

13. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I can't help but think of Mick Jagger's solo efforts. Frontman goes solo and goes pop. That being said, I like the sugary vibe. It's as if Foxygen was hanging out in the studio for "King of a One Horse Town." The video for "Waiting on a Song" is so Linklater it hurts and the song conjures up Steeler's Wheel.

14. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Anyone listen to the vinyl yet?

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

16. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I'm not waiting on a lady
    I'm just waiting on a song

KeninDC likes this.
  17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

He co-wrote the title track with John Prine. I'm not sure it is an actual sign of writer's block. That being said, if you *are* suffering from writer's block, there are a lot worse things you can do than ask John Prine to collaborate with you. :)

18. That's John Prine in the video for the title track.

19. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Very cool album. I like it better than the last Black Keys releases, that I could not get into.
    This is a joyful piece of work, awesome summer album with good instrumentation and good sound (even on CD).

Clonesteak and Turbo2k like this.
  20. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

Big Black Keys fan. Enjoyed his first solo album. That being said, this one sounds very generically retro after my first listen.
    That appears to be what he was going for, but I'm not digging it at all.

21. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I wasn't expecting much at all, but I thought this was a pretty charming nod to '70s AM radio. Nothing groundbreaking or original, but I'll be darned if I wasn't won over by the near Bacharach vibe on some of these. Doesn't hurt to have John Prine's help in writing a tune either.

ScramMan2, stef1205 and Turbo2k like this.
  22. Turbo2k

I love it, a great pop album! I think every song is a hit, beautiful arrangements and the production is pretty much flawless. I will play this a lot this summer.

team2, ScramMan2 and Clonesteak like this.
  23. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Since The Black Keys are practically from my back yard, I keep an ear out for their latest ventures, so Dan's new album came as no surprise, except that it is "catchy as hell". I know for a fact, that ever since first visiting Nashville myself about ten years ago now, that it is one of the most welcoming places that I have ever visited and there is no doubt that there is a great vibe going on there. I can only imagine what it must be like for a musician to move there?

Anyways, who would imagine an album in 2017, recorded in Nashville by a guy from Akron, Ohio, with special guests John Prine and Duane Eddy (who is all over this new album), could be so damn good? I agree with member Turbo2k above, with exception to the reality that it will most likely be yet another great new album that gets overlooked, no matter HOW great the songs, arrangements and production appears! The Black Keys are a household name, Dan Auerbach, on the other hand, is not. Sure, those of us who know him, know what he is capable of, others will see that name and go, WHO?

Turbo2k likes this.
  24. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Picked this LP up today. Heard 'Shine On Me' earlier and wasn't too impressed. Hearing it halfway through side one it fits right in and sounds great. As does the whole album. Really liked his last one and thought The Black Keys last one was excellent, the previous one not getting played much. This is going to be played a lot.
    Picked up Roger Waters new one at the same time. Think that one might have a different vibe! That can wait until tomorrow.

stef1205 likes this.
  25. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Does anybody else think Shine in Me sounds like a lost George Harrison or Travelling Wilbury's cut? I'm not saying that is a bad thing because I really dig the song.

ScramMan2 and McCool71 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.