Dan Fogelberg: Unreleased studio recordings, live performances (+ possible deluxe editions)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Volt-and-Volume, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Volt-and-Volume

Volt-and-Volume Forum Resident Thread Starter

As a huge fan of Dan Fogelberg I think he remains a vastly underrated singer-songwriter, even approximately six years after his untimely death at the age of 56 in December, 2007. I've been hoping for some kind of reappraisal ever since, but so far it hasn't happened.

Here's what I'd like for Sony Music/Jean Fogelberg (his widow) to release:

1. Unreleased studio recordings (if they exist)
    2. Unreleased live performances (there are many; I'd especially like some of the concerts from the '70s and the '80s)
    3. Deluxe editions of all of his original albums (including bonus material)

Here's a short list of songs that Dan Fogelberg wrote, recorded and played live, but seemingly never recorded in the studio:

What In The World
    A Love Beyond Time
    Fire and Ice
    Another Old Song
    (or The Show, depending on the source)

Does anyone of you Dan Fogelberg fans out there know if Dan ever recorded any of these songs in the studio, or do you think the existing live versions will ever be released? God, I hope so.

DavidD, ispace, Paulo Alm and 6 others like this.
  2. Volt-and-Volume

Skip to 5:55 to hear What In The World. I really love this song, and I can't fathom why Dan never released it.

keyXVII, lemonade kid and Hep Alien like this.
  3. Volt-and-Volume

This is another wonderful song Dan wrote but seemingly never recorded. It sounds very much influenced by early Joni Mitchell (Dan was a fan).

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I have good reason to believe all your wishes will come true. Seriously.

5. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Well, I would love to see some unreleased songs finally come out, assuming they exist. However, I'm not a big fan of live material and I hardly every listen to the live album of his that I already have. I'd be all for a remastering of his albums and throwing bonus songs on though. In the meantime I'm enjoying my Japanese remasters, with reproduction album covers, that I bought a few years ago.

Volt-and-Volume likes this.
  6. Volt-and-Volume

Hope you're right! :). His songwriting and musicianship has meant so much to me over the years.

7. Volt-and-Volume

I also own the Japanese remasters housed in vinyl replica covers, and I love 'em. I don't mind live material, though. Sometimes live versions are more passionate. I have a feeling that no studio version could possibly match the live version of "What In The World" (just listen to the amount of passion in Dan's voice; see above). Also, if that's the only versions of the above-mentioned songs that exist, then I'll gladly add them to my Dan Fogelberg collection; these songs are simply too good to remain unreleased :).

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

fogelberg is a true candidate for the rock hall, although i know he will never get in :(

9. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Although there are no bonus tracks, I have found the sound on the more recent remastering's of his catalog on BGO (England), to be top notch!

carlwm, bluerondo and Volt-and-Volume like this.
  10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I've been a fan since moving to Nashville in 1972. I'd love to see more of Danny's music released, and can guarantee a purchase of physical product from me.

11. Myke

Did they remove the horrid reverb / echo from Home Free ? Compared to my original, dry vinyl, the CBS CD was unlistenable for me.

Record Rotator likes this.
  12. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

MYKE, I'm truly late to the "Home Free" album and I'm not familiar enough with that particular album to be the one to ask about this, but from almost all of the EPIC/CBS CD's that I previously owned, I have found all of the other Fogelberg BGO reissues that I have bought, to all sound much better than the previous ones.

13. Myke

WKDA-FM would play Wysteria, and the DJ would say " Nashville's own," which of course was a stretch of the truth, but showed how loved he was here, esp. in '72.

Forum member Marty Milton is, in my eyes, a kindred spirit in a thread that appreciates Danny...hopefully, he'll be along soon.

keyXVII, McLover and Volt-and-Volume like this.
  14. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

I have the two CD versions. The Sony version is the Dan Fogelberg remix. The original master used on the BGO reissue seems to have some issues.Anyway, different mixes.

15. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

The Innocent Age was very important in my college days. I had two great friends who did a lot of acoustic stuff around my town and played a lot of Dan's early stuff. We were fortunate to see him in concert in those days. Captured Angel is still my favorite. I would be all in for any new Dan stuff.

Bill007 and Volt-and-Volume like this.
  16. Volt-and-Volume

I hope all Dan Fogelberg fans will participate in this thread :). After all, it would probably rank high in google's search results (due to the popularity of this forum), so perhaps Sony Music or the Dan Fogelberg estate would take notice of what we, the fans, wish for!

17. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

Please remaster "High Country Snows" and include bonus tracks (if available).

18. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Agree about the bonus tracks. I don't remember High Country Snows needing a remaster. I guess I will listen tonight........:D

pocofan likes this.
  19. Harold R

Harold R Forum Resident

There are several high quality boots of live performances available from the 70s and 80s.

20. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

His Portrait box set really needs to be reissued as well. Only place to get "Hearts and Crafts" (on cd) as far as I know....

NJB

21. timw

timw Senior Member

+1 ! I have the BGO two-fer of Netherlands & Captured Angel and the sound quality is excellent IMO......

I've been a Dan-Fan for many years. It's great to see this thread pop up here!
    I couldn't agree more with O.P, Volt's wishlist of release ideas....

22. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

My wife and I are both big Dan Fogelberg fans. We saw him a number of times in the '80s and '90s including one time with Tim Weisberg.

Ralph Sidway and Volt-and-Volume like this.
  23. Volt-and-Volume

It's probably the one Dan Fogelberg album that needs a remaster the least. It just sounds better to my ears than the other non-remastered Dan Fogelberg CDs. That said, I would still love for it to be remastered as long as it's done with a great deal of care (no compression). And of course bonus tracks would be awesome, even live versions of some of the album tracks or stripped down demos.

Ralph Sidway and Todd W. like this.
  24. Volt-and-Volume

Come to think of it, Dan actually performed the old Country-Gospel classic "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" around that time, so that might make a nice bonus track on "High Country Snows".

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  25. Volt-and-Volume

I did some research yesterday, and it turns out that Dan also wrote a song called The Lady Loves The River which a singer named Florence Warner recorded back in the '70s.

The band Fool's Gold also recorded a Dan song titled Love Me Through And Through.

Surely these exist somewhere in the vaults. If nothing else, at least as demos :)

Ralph Sidway and Hep Alien like this.