Dan Fogelberg: Unreleased studio recordings, live performances (+ possible deluxe editions)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Volt-and-Volume, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Volt-and-Volume

Volt-and-Volume Forum Resident Thread Starter

Googled "Dan Fogelberg tribute CD" the other day, but I found no news, so thanks a lot for quoting Norbert Putnam. You just made my day! ;-). Really looking forward to this release.

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  2. Volt-and-Volume

I never even thought about Dan doing his own renditions of Led Zeppelin songs such as Tangerine and The Rain Song. But I just listened to them again, and now I can definitely imagine him performing these folk ballads.

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  3. Volt-and-Volume

Do you (or anyone else?) know anything about the second song Dan performs? Title? Was it written by Dan? I'm 100 % certain I've never heard it before.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Ralph Sidway likes this.
  4. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

And I bet THAT wasn't easy to pare down!!

Volt-and-Volume likes this.
  5. FallsCity48

FallsCity48 Forum Resident

Are you referring to "Down to the Wire"?? If so.... I would place it as an LA written song as I never really heard him "working on it" as such (except the ending part which was an add on). You have to understand that when I first met Dan (when he had moved to Nashville from LA).....he had a voluminous catalog of songs he had written already. It was incredible to sit & listen to him work..... many songs, instrumentals that have yet to hear the light of day.....sad. Case in point, the "Souvenirs" album which he was in the process of working on at the time of the Jackson show was composed almost totally of backlogged tunes. Of 11 songs on "Souvenirs", only three were written after 1973 (& two of those in Tennessee). Many early, fantastic tunes were cast aside as he felt they did not capture the mood, feel of an album hence they never saw a release as his music evolved over time.
    There were a few songs I never ask him as I thought they were too personal....this was one.

Another was this song called "Mountain Town"...another LA written song.
    (Sorry about the bad audio but this is only source I can share but it's a spontaneous concert gem. If you listen closely you hear Dan noodling the opening bars of "Love Me Through & Through" then he changes suddenly to "Mountain Town". At the end you can hear him say "I don't know what came over me". As I said I never ask him about it as I felt it was too personal but I feel certain of the meaning.

6. Ralph Sidway

Ralph Sidway Forum Resident

I was revisiting the early posts on this thread, and wanted to add to the song wish list for a unreleased rarities, expanded box-set, or deluxe editions:

Another Rare Live Original - No Studio Version
    - Where the Moon and the Stars Go Down
    (very dramatic, from High Country Snows tour, Alpine Valley WI, June 2, 1984; this is the closing number for that concert, solo piano & vocals; he does not introduce it, but I believe it to be an original; I searched variations on the title but could not find it online; after you listen to it, please post if you recognize it as being written by another artist.)

I have uploaded two mp3 files into a Dropbox folder for you all to enjoy. Includes the above from 1984, plus - A Love Beyond Time, from Live at Red Rocks, 2000.

This one is such an epic live track, I can't imagine it being improved upon in the studio:
    - Don't Let That Sun Go Down (from Something Old...New...Borrowed... and Some Blues)

From the 1970s live shows:
    - Plastered in Paris
    - I was Never Much
    - Full Moon Mansion (the was in his setlist even as late as 1999)

From The Early Years outtakes (pre-Home Free):
    - The Actress and the Artist
    - Sweet Lady James

Dan Fogelberg's covers of other artists' songs performed live:
    Eleanor Rigby (instrumental)
    If I Were a Carpenter
    I Need You (George Harrison)
    Theme from Black Orpheus (instrumental)

From the High Country Snows era live shows:
    Tulsa Time
    You'd Better Run, Run, Run
    Roll Me, Little Sister
    Will the Circle be Unbroken
    Life's Railway to Heaven

Hep Alien and Volt-and-Volume like this.
  7. Ralph Sidway

Falls City48, was this from an article, and do you have a link for this, or is it from direct communication/conversation/correspondence?

If there's an article to cite, that would be a nice add here and elsewhere. Thanks!

8. FallsCity48

Mr. Ralph, It was from personal correspondence.

There have been other things discussed with the release of the tribute album but at this time I am not at liberty to share.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    keyXVII and Ralph Sidway like this.
  9. Ralph Sidway

I certainly understand and respect that... Wonderful and hopeful news in any case, and I hope some of my speculations about the Tribute CD and the Live at Carnegie Hall digital release littered throughout this thread are at least somewhat close to the mark!

Thanks for sharing this much! Quite tantalizing! :shh:

Volt-and-Volume likes this.
  10. Volt-and-Volume

Thanks, Ralph, appreciate it! :righton: I remember hearing A Love Beyond Time somewhere at some point. It's alright, but nowhere near essential, in my humble opinion. However, I really (really) like Where The Moon And The Stars Go Down. That one needs to be included on a rarities disc. Dan's heart and soul permeates that heart-warming piano ballad. :love:

I noticed the song title on a bootleg I came across recently, but I didn't hear the song until just now (couldn't find it on YouTube).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Ralph Sidway likes this.
  11. Volt-and-Volume

Yes, I was referring to Down To The Wire. I figured that was the title of the song, but I don't recall seeing this song title on any bootlegs. You're lucky to have spent time with him.

Ralph Sidway and FallsCity48 like this.
  12. Volt-and-Volume

Earlier in this tread I posted a folk ballad titled The Lady Loves The River. It was written by Dan, but the only recorded version that has been released was by a female singer named Florence Warner. I just came across some other Fogelberg songs she recorded. This one was written in the early '70s (but Dan didn't release a version of his own until 2003's Full Circle album).

carlwm and Ralph Sidway like this.
  13. Volt-and-Volume

Florence Warner cover version:

14. Volt-and-Volume

Florence Warner: Dan's "Anyway I Love You".

15. Volt-and-Volume

Florence Warner: "Love Gone By".

16. Volt-and-Volume

Ralph, do you know, if Dan wrote any of these songs, or who wrote them (excluding Will The Circle Be Unbroken, naturally)?

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  17. Volt-and-Volume

A lovely live rendition of Woody Guthrie's Stewball. Am I the only one, who hears a similarity to Dan's High Country Snows?

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  18. Ralph Sidway

Great question, Thomas. I'm on the case, but internet problems (very slow tonight for some reason) will postpone research on some of these.

'Tulsa Time'
    has a great history to it: written by Danny Flowers and recorded by American country music artist Don Williams, released in October 1978 and became Williams 8th #1 hit on the Billboard Country Charts. Eric Clapton recorded it for his 1978 album Backless, and his live version from Just One Night became a #30 Billboard hit in 1980. Probably the biggest aura surrounding the song is that Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck performed it in concert for the ARMS Benefit in 1983, with Steve Winwood on high harmony backing vocals. Clapton is the band leader and lead vocals, nods to Beck and Page as they all take turns on the lead. 'Layla' gets all the attention from the show for having the three guitarists playing on it, but that's really Clapton's song, whereas Tulsa Time is an instant classic, sounding much older than it really is. The entire band turns in flat out amazing performances. Search for "Tulsa Time Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck AMS Concert 1983" on YouTube and turn it up. Clapton and Beck play their leads fairly safe, but Jimmy Page is all over it. A must watch video.

Life's Railway to Heaven was written by old-time Gospel songwriter Charlie (C.D.) Tillman, and makes a perfect uptempo number for the High Country Snows live full-band concerts. If you 'Google' the song title, you'll find several recordings on YouTube by different artists. From Tillman's Wikipedia entry:

...One of the most popular and frequently recorded songs of all time. "Life’s Railway to Heaven" (occasionally known by its first line "Life is like a mountain railroad") has been recorded by Boxcar Willie, the Carter Family, the Chuck Wagon Gang, Mother Freddie J. Bell on YouTube, The Oak Ridge Boys, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Brad Paisley, Russ Taff, the Amazing Rhythm Aces, and many others... Members of the Western Writers of America chose the song as one of the Top 100 Western songs of all time.​

I'm not sure about '(You'd Better) Run, Run, Run'. Having a dickens of a time researching it, but it could be a revved up cover of an obscure blues-rock number by Billy C. Farlow. I'll need to listen to the full version of Farlow's song, not just a clip, to compare. It does not sound like a DF original to me, but who knows!

Same for 'Roll Me, Little Sister'. Sounds like a vintage late 1950s early 1960s number, but no luck yet on finding it. (Was it one of the rock and roll standards Dan played back with the Coachmen or the Clan back in the 1960s?)

Will get back to tracking down the original artists from Starbucks or a friend's place with high-speed wifi until mine is fixed (hopefully next week!).

Will also upload the live DF tracks for that song list to the Dropbox folder I provide above. They're taken from three different shows from 1984 & 85. Great energy to his live shows during this period.

19. FallsCity48

Florence Warner....my nightingale. Florence was apart of our group that Norbert (Putnam) referred to as "All Quad's Children" in the early days at Quad (Quadrafonic Sound Studios). Like many she would hang around waiting for some need on a project. I remember here singing background on many a song on Home Free sessions (many not used). I can remember her on Stars (though not listed until Portrait). I know it's a clique but her talents deserved far greater rewards!! She would put out 3 albums. The 1st (self titled, Florence Warner) is a Quad album. It was produced by Norbert & Glen Spreen (who just recently passed away RIP). Glen did arrangements on Home Free & later albums of Dan's. Dan while not listed on Florence 1st album plays on many songs (you don't have to go though all the legal red tape if you not listed). Norbert would have a great influence on Florence 2nd album as well. I know she was on Dan's The Power Of Gold from Twin Sons of Different Mothers as well. Dan had a great influence on Florence's music as her covers would demonstrate.

Below is a link to a photo of Florence, Norbert & Dan taken by Kenny Buttery during the Home Free sessions....(while the photo of Florence is not very flattering, she is quite a beautiful lady)

http://alvindigo.0catch.com/Florence_Warner/DanFloPutt.jpg

Dok and Ralph Sidway like this.
  20. Ralph Sidway

Thanks for these great glimpses into Dan's early Nashville studio years. I remember that photo from the official DF website; Jean Fogelberg posted it there a year ago or so.

21. FallsCity48

Kenny Buttery (who was apart of the "A team" Nashville studio musicians, Area code 615, original Barefoot Jerry, Neil Young's Stray Gators, Buffet's Coral Reefer band etc, etc) took many photos during the Home Free sessions. May be one day they can see the light of day ;)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Dok and Ralph Sidway like this.
  22. FallsCity48

Passing along some conversations from Jean (Fogelberg) today.........

"I've been immersed in projects - the Carnegie Hall CD and the Tribute CD and concert will all be happening this year; I'm 250 pages into my book; l also spent the last two months painting".

This will reinforce Norbert's early statements earlier on the Tribute CD.
    There is at least a couple other events that will hinge off these projects when they finally take place.

23. Volt-and-Volume

You beat me to it - barely ;-). I just commented on her post: https://www.facebook.com/jean.fogelberg?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  24. Volt-and-Volume

Thank you very much for your great, in-depth response, Ralph :righton:. I had a feeling these songs were written by other songwriters, but I wasn't quite sure about Tulsa Time. I'll return shortly with intriguing "speculations" on Dan Fogelberg albums that "could've been" and further thoughts on the upcoming tribute CD.

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  25. FallsCity48

Volt-and-Volume.com, message me your name, if Jean knows you, maybe we have met....