Dan Fogelberg: Unreleased studio recordings, live performances (+ possible deluxe editions)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Volt-and-Volume, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

" At long last, the recording of Dan’s stellar 1979 solo performance at Carnegie Hall is ready for production! You’ll hear every minute of the concert, including Dan’s banter with the audience between songs. That, combined with Bob Ludwig’s digital sound enhancements, will make you feel like you are there.

Dan Fogelberg ~ Live At Carnegie Hall will be available as a download and as a double CD package. If you are going to order the CD package, please go to http://thelivinglegacy.net/CHCD_exported/form.html and let us know. We aren’t taking names or orders, just getting an idea of how many to press. Please let us know by Sunday March 5th.

Ever on..."

Dan Fogelberg

2. Ralph Sidway

Ralph Sidway Forum Resident

HUGE NEWS! DF Live at Carnegie Hall is coming...

Initially thought to be a digital /iTunes only release, they are asking fans if they would buy a CD. Not taking pre-orders, but testing the demand before going into production:

Dan Fogelberg ~ News

At long last, the recording of Dan’s stellar 1979 solo performance at Carnegie Hall is ready for production! You’ll hear every minute of the concert, including Dan’s banter with the audience between songs. That, combined with Bob Ludwig’s digital sound enhancements, will make you feel like you are there.

Dan Fogelberg ~ Live At Carnegie Hall will be available as a download and as a double CD package. If you are going to order the CD package, please go here and let us know. We aren’t taking names or orders, just getting an idea of how many to press. Please let us know by Sunday, March 5th.

Ever on!

Click the image below to hear "The Chauvanist Song"

Volt-and-Volume likes this.
  3. Ralph Sidway

I believe one of these must be Dan's induction into the Colorado Music Hall of Fame, which was specifically delayed to wait for the Tribute CD. I am still hoping for the RRHOF as well. A big year in 2017 with two releases — one legacy, one a Tribute with big names — plus the CMHF could generate momentum...

This was the news post on the official DF.com site, emphasis added (this must have been in 2014, 2 and 1/2 years ago):

The Colorado Music Hall of Fame has decided to wait for the tribute CD to be completed before inducting Dan. We have one very busy, but important, group that needs to finish their vocals before that can happen. All we can do is wait - we all, Sony included, feel they are worth waiting for. The CMHF will then find out when Joe Walsh will be able to attend. Right now, they are hoping for @March/April 2015. Inductees will include Dan, Joe Walsh and Barnstorm, and Caribou Ranch.​

Was that "very busy, but important, group" the Eagles? We'll see!

Also this is definitely a Sony release... VERY significant...

My hope would be for the liner notes for the Tribute CD to include a true DF career appraisal, not merely another bio (a la Paul Zollo from 'Portrait' and others).

DEAN OF ROCK likes this.
  4. Ralph Sidway

Thanks Myke! We must have been typing at about the same time... You beat me to the "Post" button! :edthumbs:

5. Myke

By 22 minutes, yes.

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  6. FallsCity48

FallsCity48 Forum Resident

As I have alluded earlier, in 2017 Dan's memory will finally get some long over due recognition.
    While most important, Dan's induction into the Colorado Music Hall of Fame was not one of the projects/events I was referring to earlier....but in the last couple of days there has been a lot of movement in a number of different areas.

With each of his album releases, his music be came more complex.
    As for the at Carnegie Hall CD, it will spotlight Dan in his pure, shinning, glorious essence.....Solo.
    For those that never had the opportunity to see Dan in his early days, the Carnegie Hall CD will give you a glimpse in the magic of storybook music woven between his artful interaction with audience..... a craft he hone early at the coffee houses in Champaign.
    While Dan recorded many. many of his shows, Ms. Jean has made a great selection :) It showcases many of the unreleased songs I was most privileged to hear in their infancy and clamored for release..... (besides his Mom & Dad were present at the show as well).

BTW, the number of hits for the CD have been astounding...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  7. Ralph Sidway

FallsCity, so great to get your insights on this. Carnegie Hall is indeed a great selection, for the prestige factor of the venue alone, and as Dan said in interviews, it was truly a pinnacle in his career...

I can't wait to hear it! At this stage of his career, his voice is unbelievable! Perfect pitch, perfectly connected across several octaves, with his amazing falsetto in all its glory. As the Chicago Auditorium show demonstrates (on 4/10/79, a week prior to Carnegie Hall, which I believe I shared here some months ago via Dropbox — here is the link) , this was an amazing concert period for him. And by opening with 'Nether Lands' during this Solo Acoustic tour, an incredibly demanding, brilliant song, he boldly sets his sights as high as he possibly could. The release of this recording should have jaws dropping, and prompt a newfound appreciation of his catalog.

"...in the last couple of days there has been a lot of movement in a number of different areas."

A most tantalizing hint, FallsCity! Thanks! :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    keyXVII and Volt-and-Volume like this.
  8. Volt-and-Volume

Volt-and-Volume Forum Resident Thread Starter

We've never met, I'm afraid. I'm Danish. ;-)

FallsCity48 likes this.
  9. Volt-and-Volume

Saw this on Jean Fogelberg's facebook page and came here to post the news, but, you beat me to it. Anyway, I'm thrilled that this is going to be released as a CD package and not "just" as an iTunes download as initially intended.

Ralph Sidway and Myke like this.
  10. I'm definitely in for the cd version.Great news and hopefully enough sales to spark further releases.

11. FallsCity48

These shows were all before Dan's throat surgery .
    At one point early in Dan's career, his tonsils became badly infected & he would face bouts of tonsillitis periodically from time to time. He would actually get hoarse if he had to sets back to back in the club days. Finally he had the surgery to have them removed (a most dramatic period for him). The results unfortunately lowered the pitch of his voice.

keyXVII and Ralph Sidway like this.
  12. Ralph Sidway

I seemed to recall him discussing that in an interview. Finally found it in the archives at The Living Legacy from this Yahoo Live Chat in 1999 (emphasis added):

thrawnnn asks: Is it my imagination or has your vocal range lowered since your early days? Not being critical, just observed once that there aren't as many high notes :)
    dan_fogelberg_live: I had my tonsils removed in 1980. It completely changed my vocal change.
    dan_fogelberg_live: I also smoked for 25 years.
    dan_fogelberg_live: Since I quit 2 1/2 years ago my range seems to be getting larger again.
    dan_fogelberg_live: Don't expect me to sing "Nether Lands" however! LOL!

All that said, I really love his soulful vocal timbre on 'Rhythm of the Rain', 'What You're Doing', 'Don't Lose Heart', and other tracks...

13. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

It might be complete naivety on my part, but I have a hard time imagining that the voice I hear on his records is that of a nearly life-long smoker. That purity of tone usually doesn't hold out when someone's doing that to their cords...

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  14. Volt-and-Volume

Me, too. I also love his soulful/blues-y voice on his live version of Run For The Roses (off Dan Fogelberg Live: Greetings From The West). For some reason I've always thought of this particular performance as Dan's tribute to Soul singers such as Otis Redding.

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  15. FallsCity48

It is true....but it was an extension of the accepted lifestyle back then.... as was his Jack in the Black "to loosen the vocal cords".

Dan's lowered pitch at this time frame fit right in the type of music he was exploring at this time but always loved.... Blues.
    He was always searching for something different...he was always afraid of being categorized.
    'What You're Doing' I remember was Dan's song he would emulate & capture in a Clapton style blues....
    I remember he would explore many other blues songs live.... Blow Wind Blow, Statesboro Blues, Hoochie Coochie Man,
    Over and Over Again come to mind but the best was Merry Christmas, Baby (which I don't think no one ever taped that I'm aware).

This Blues exploration would evolve into (I'm sure you guys are familiar) Dan's short lived blues bar band.... Frankie and the Aliens
    that would do nothing but cover songs ranging from Cream to Clapton to BB King in 1985 with Joe Vitale & Rick Rosas.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Ralph Sidway and Runicen like this.
  16. Ralph Sidway

I LOVE his live version of Blow Wind Blow from 'Something Old...New...Borrowed...and Some Blues'. His growling vocals and lead guitar work on that are both phenomenal...

Thanks for the photo of the Aliens! Would love to hear anything they recorded off the 'board' in those days.

17. Ralph Sidway

Well, I don't know if I missed it when Jean Fogelberg first posted the March 2 update on the official DF site, but in visiting today, I saw the Track List for Live at Carnegie Hall. It's the same as the Chicago Auditorium show on 4/10/79 (see my post a few spots above), with the addition of a song titled 'All Night Long', which I am not familiar with.

What an amazing set list!

He is coming off of two successive brilliant albums, Nether Lands in 1977 (peaked at #13 on the Billboard Pop Charts) and Twin Sons in 1978 (#8). Phoenix (#3) would be released seven months after this show. 'Same Old Lang Syne' — nestled just past the midpoint — would be released as a single a year and a half after Carnegie Hall, and of course is featured on The Innocent Age (1981, #6, with four top 10 hits and one top 20). Listen and you can hear a slightly different lyric for the final chorus, instead of the recorded version, "reliving in our eloquence" another Old Lang Syne.

He modestly selects from all his albums to date, emphasizing Souvenirs: Two songs from Phoenix (Along the Road, the finale/encore, placed AFTER There's a Place in the World for a Gambler — what confidence, to end with an unheard new song after one already considered a classic), three from Nether Lands, two instrumentals from Twin Sons, two from Home Free, three from Captured Angel, with SEVEN from Souvenirs, plus his humorous and unique unreleased concert staples of this period (Plastered in Paris, The Chauvinist Song (I Was Never Much) and Full Moon Mansion).

This really promises to be phenomenal, sheer magic. Can't wait to hear it, and am hopeful for a nice 2-CD package with photos and liner notes!

[​IMG]

18. FallsCity48

As I had said much earlier, I knew everyone would be most pleased :)

Ralph Sidway and Volt-and-Volume like this.
  19. FallsCity48

Well, finally things are beginning to break..... as I alluded to earlier.

Ms. Jean made the announcement this morning.....

"Okay kids, mark your calendars. The tribute concert will be at Fiddler's Green in Colorado, on Dan's birthday - Sunday, August 13th. During the concert, Dan, Joe Walsh and Barnstorm, and Caribou Ranch will all be inducted into the Colorado Music Hall of Fame. The concert will be filmed by PBS Soundstage. The concert DVD and the Tribute CD will be released together in November. This hasn't been announced yet, so don't go looking for tickets, we'll let you know when they're available..."

More good things to come :)

Ralph Sidway, Myke and Runicen like this.
  20. Myke

Plus the Carnegie Hall album, this is Danny's year. :thumbsup:

Volt-and-Volume and Ralph Sidway like this.
  21. FallsCity48

Also ( I guess it's OK to "spill the beans" per say) Part of the Plan, the musical will open in September at Nashville's Performing Arts Center (this is going to be a killer show) plus Dan's induction into the Nashville Walk of Fame (as of now the date is unknown).

Ralph Sidway and Myke like this.
  22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

even a couple of unreleased tunes, can't wait for this one.

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  23. Volt-and-Volume

The only unreleased song here that I know nothing about is All Night Long. Do you know anything about this song, Ralph?

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  24. Ralph Sidway

I've never even seen it listed anywhere, Thomas. Very curious to hear it...

25. Ralph Sidway

This is BIG news! One of the several times I saw Dan perform was at the historic Ryman Theatre in Nashville during his 25th anniversary tour in 1997. It was clearly like a hometown crowd for him, and he was in top form.