Dance and Drink The Mekons: A Mekons Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveFff, Jan 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista Thread Starter

I've been engaged in a number of side-discussions about The Mekons with a few folks on other threads, and after doing a search, I didn't see a devoted Mekons thread for news and views on this venerable and beloved band (and perhaps Mekons-related side projects). I thought it might be a good time to kick it off, as there are a couple of new or recent releases, including one announced today from Mekons 77:

`It Is Twice Blessed' - the brand new LP from The Mekons 77.
    AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW!
    https://www.themekons.co.uk/sh…/it-is-twice-blessed-vinyl-lp

And at the Bloodshot Records site there is this from the Mekonville event this past summer (for you Mekonistas who haven't seen it):

12" vinyl single
    Containing "How Many Stars Are Out Tonight" by The Mekons (2017 line-up) and "Still Waiting" by The Mekons (1977 line-up). Recorded in 2017.

Mekonville 12 inch single featuring a brand new song STILL WAITING from the original lineup of the Mekons (now officially named THE MEKONS 77) and another new song HOW MANY STARS ARE OUT TONIGHT by the current MEKONS band.

Mekonville (12" Single)

So let's "Dance and Drink The Mekons" (as the song demands)!

2. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Near and dear to my heart. Never got to see them live though. :(

melstapler, linclink and SteveFff like this.
  3. SteveFff

Never say never. They're still out on the road!

I've had the pleasure of seeing them many (many) times since the mid-80s and they never fail to surprise and entertain--a sensational live band then, before and now.

4. SteveFff

And BTW: Love your avatar. Mine is a picture from one of the Waco Brothers Schubas gigs.

5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Rock ’n’ Roll is one of my favorite ’80s albums.

6. SteveFff

One of my top ten favorite albums of all-time.

sbeaupre, Neonbeam, linclink and 2 others like this.
  7. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

I saw them a Rebellion Fest last year. Great time. They had some early members there, so it was more of their post-punk side that came out.

linclink and SteveFff like this.
  8. SteveFff

In honor of the birth of this thread, I’m watching the Revenge of the Mekons documentary movie this evening. It’s really well done. Great footage, music, interviews and information, going back to the early days in Leeds with the Gang of Four. Highly recommended if you havent seen it. or have, but not for a while.

9. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Great record!

10. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Any chance that Mekons 77 LP can magically transform into a CD?

linclink likes this.
  11. kevimetal

kevimetal Forum Resident

Love the Mekons! Saw them a few times over the years, stand out show was in the late 90's (SF, Great American Music Hall) when they did this epic groovy, rocking 10 minute version of Gin & It/Belly to Belly, it was incredible - the "Me" LP is a huge fave of mine. Saw them another time here in Exeter and the documentarian was in progress with his camera, spoke to him for a few minutes but he was busy doing his thing. Still haven't seen the film- is it worth seeking out?

OP, can you explain why the two bands and/or bandnames these days? I have a tough time keeping up with the Mekons and all of the side projects, the whole discography is huge!

12. strummer101

It's nice to gather here with other Mekons fans. They've been one of my favorite bands since Fear and Whiskey in 1985.
    Oddly, I never saw them live until 2007 or so. But when I did I saw the best live show I'd seen in decades. At a Cleveland dive bar situated on the river, in front of a mere 300 people, the Mekons serenaded the night with rock, reggae, and drunken sing-alongs. I've never seen a band have so much fun on stage. It was beautiful.

13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I bought their second single ("Where Were You?") when it came out because the reviews were so good. I saw them live in Manchester soon after (not sure where it was - perhaps The Russel Club?).
    I've neard anything by them since.
    I remember Bowie playing one of their songs when he hosted a radio show in the late 70s/early 80S (BBC probably).

14. SteveFff

C'mon, they're The Mekons--they can do anything ;-).

I'm guessing it's vinyl only right now, as a throw back to those dark days (the 1977 of the title) when dinosaurs ruled the musical landscape and there was only vinyl.

Seriously, and this is only speculation based on nothing, when Jura first came out on Bloodshot (and I know this is not the same label), it was vinyl only, and then later, due to "popular demand" (or popularity relevant to the Mekons), it was released on CD. So, perhaps there's also a CD release in the future.

linclink and strummer101 like this.
  15. SteveFff

Well, you have a lot of wonderful catching up to do! Since those days they've probably released over two dozen albums, almost all quite fantastic in numerously different ways, and any number of them absolutely tremendous. And some of their best work--which is saying something--has been on many of their recent albums.

linclink and strummer101 like this.
  16. SteveFff

When they did the Mekonville Festival in Suffolk in August of 2017, which was a weekend long celebration of all things Mekons, they reunited the original 1977 line-up from the early Leeds days and singles--and major label "hit"--and they performed together, . This is the line up prior to the band under-going significant line up changes in the early 1980s, the line-up more in the shape of the current band (somewhat), when Steve Goulding, Lu Edmunds, and Susan Honeyman, and the legendary (of Rolling Stones and Pretty Things fame), Dick Taylor join the band around supporting the Miner's Strike. The first three listed there are all still with the band (along with a few others, such as Sally Timms, who joined during this period. I didn't imagine at the time this Mekons 1977 troupe would be an ongoing concern (or at least ongoing beyond that gig) , but this Mekons 1977 album is that group doing new music. Hope that helps.

I've embedded a link of Mekons 1977 closing that festival with "Where With You".

linclink, melstapler and kevimetal like this.
  17. strummer101

I hope so, since this dinosaur doesn't do vinyl anymore.

SteveFff likes this.
  18. SteveFff

RIP MES

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

manicpopthrill and melstapler like this.
  19. manicpopthrill

I have to admit, their last release confused the hell out of me. Was it simply new material recorded in front of an audience? Whatever it was, I lost interest rapidly (and it kills me to say that).

20. SteveFff

Existentialism was conceived of as a kind of performance art/live music project. The conceit was based around the question "why should it take longer to record an album than it does to listen to it?". They recorded it live, around one microphone, in front of an invited audience in Brooklyn. And, yes, all new material. And the package is quite wonderful as it contains Mekons writing and art. It's no doubt a pretty radical departure (but, hey, that's The Mekons) after the sophistication in conception, execution and songwriting of their last full band album, Ancient and Modern, which I think of as one of the best things they've ever done. Existentialism has some great songs to be sure, particularly "Bucket" thru like "The Cell" and I think "Simone of the Beach" is as good as anything they've done.

21. manicpopthrill

I'll have to listen closely to the ones you recommend. A definite stumbling block for me is that I have never cared much for live recordings. :shrug:

I am, however, excited to hear this Mekons 77 thing.

22. SteveFff

Totally agreed on the Mekons 1977 thing. They sound great together after all these years. I suppose after 40 years you can't help but learn how to play!

Yea, no doubt, if live recordings are a "stumbling block" for you, then certainly this is going to be a giant hurdle. I mean, it's a live recording that's made with one centrally placed microphone for the eight piece band. Though, after I read your post, I put it on, and again, there are some really great songs here. "Simone on the Beach" I think is so good (but audiophile it ain't ;-) ).

linclink likes this.
  23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Currently the only Mekons album I have. It's rather a mystery this didn't do more in 1989. A lot of people would love this record, if they only knew of it's existence.

Saw the band live during the early 90's and it was great. Even got to talk to Jon afterwards.

Chemguy likes this.
  24. SteveFff

You'd probably really like Curse of the Mekons, especially if you saw and liked them live during that time, as they were doing a fair number of tunes from it--and still do. It was to be the major label follow up to the major label Mekons Rock'n'Roll, before The Mekons met with a similar fate to last time they were on a major label (i.e. ignored and released), so it ended up being put out as import only here in the US (at the time, it's long since been "domesticated" here). But it's no fault of The Mekons or The Curse, as its truly top shelf, and usually among most fans favorite Mekons albums, especially those who love MRNR.

linclink and Neonbeam like this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Haven't heard "Curse" in ages. Back then I liked it but like all my Mekons stuff it fell victim to my cd purge 15 years ago. Even though it was a good moment to kick out cds. The only album - so far - I rebought on vinyl was "Rock'n'Roll".

I guess I'd also want "Fear & Whiskey", "The Edge Of The World", "So Good It Hurts" and "Honky Tonkin'" back.....

linclink and SteveFff like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.