Dancing With The Stars

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

alexpop likes this.
  2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Nice to see Calvin Johnson on there.

Class act while playing here in Detroit.

3. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

As much as I love that guy, he still won't get me to watch this show.

He asked everyone to pray for him, he doesn't appear to be a very good dancer. Good for him to try something different.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

It premieres tonight! Is anyone else besides me excited?

alexpop likes this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

*crickets*

Kidding. My wife likes it and it's the least offensive show she watches so I'm all for it (way better than 'Housewives' or 'Kardashians').

I am rather offended that they gave work to that jerk Lochte, though.

groundharp and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  6. MikaelaArsenault

I agree. Lochte should not even be on that show in the first place.

groundharp and alexpop like this.
  7. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I'm excited that my girl Cheryl Burke is back. Really don't like Maksim and not looking forward to his clown act, sorry to see my girl Peta shacking up with him. Glad to not have to see Mark Ballas as he's annoying in the same way Maksim is.

If Lochte knew how to apologize properly (drank too much, made an idiot of myself) he'd already be 90% redeemed and this show would be the last 10%.

lightbulb and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I do not mean this as a political comment, but:
    If someone had told me a couple years ago that in 2016 Donald Trump would be the Republican Presidential nominee and Rick Perry would be on Dancing With The Stars, I would have said "Are you sure you don't have that backwards?"

9. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

10. MikaelaArsenault

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    alexpop likes this.
  11. SizzleVonSizzleton

That could very well be the best thing that could have ever happened to Ryan Lochte and his quest to reform his reputation. Only way it could have been better is if it had been on camera and he shielded Cheryl from whatever happened (I just woke up, maybe I'm behind and there's already video or further news about what did actually happen, he seemed to have a welt on the right side of his forehead after the commercial). I'm sure the show is extremely embarrassed at the security lapse.

Speaking of which, Rick Perry's daughter looked embarrassed. 'She's proud, she's proud of her daddy'! No she's humiliated and would do anything to get the camera off her.

Vanilla Ice looks like Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee. Which is not a compliment for either of them. And he's on tour? He has one song that anyone knows? What is the rest of the set list? Please don't actually tell me!

Maureen McCormick seems to be a needy drama queen to the point of being unhinged. I was literally cringing watching her yammer on and on.

Every season there seems to be a female competitor who says they've never danced before but it turns out that they 'surprise' everyone. This season that person is Jana Kramer. I've never heard of her, but she's a singer and an actress, which is to say she's the modern person who wants to be famous so they dip their toe in every where to see where the money and fame will come from. So I find it reasonable to assume she's danced a few steps in her quest to have all the bases covered when her agent calls with any given opportunity. I think we're being snowed with this woman.

Laurie Hernandez is the usual ringer they have that has physical gifts beyond what any of the other competitors can bring to the show. And then they try to tell us that the skills in gymnastics aren't the same as the skills for dancing. Yeah, okay, nobody buys that.

12. MikaelaArsenault

That's because Maureen is just being Marcia, Marcia, Marcia.

alexpop and soundboy like this.
  13. MikaelaArsenault

Jake T. Austin is the first celebrity to get eliminated this season.

alexpop likes this.
  14. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I had never heard of him before seeing him on DWTS. (That's true of a few of the other people on the show, too.) He certainly wasn't the worst "celebrity" this season, but he definitely didn't display any natural dancing talent and seemed fairly devoid of charisma on screen. Not surprised he was the first to go.

The biggest surprise this season is that race car driver, James Hinchcliffe. I wonder if he has any dance training in his background; it doesn't seem like this is his first time learning to dance. He also really comes to life on the dance floor, exhibiting a performance quality that's more typical of contestants who are used to performing in front of cameras. All that being said, if Laurie Hernandez doesn't win this season I will be surprised.

15. SizzleVonSizzleton

Jake T. Austin came off like a married guy who was afraid to upset his wife by getting into his dance partner. I hate that, you've got a license to do everything short of having sex with a gorgeous woman, GET INTO IT!!! I'm over twice his age so I'd never heard of him and I understand that he's most famous for voicing a cartoon so nobody can be terribly surprised that he doesn't have a huge fan base.

If you put any stock in the legitimacy of the fan voting it's easy to see why a guy like Rick Perry could last a few more weeks than his dancing skills should carry him.

lv70smusic above is absolutely right about Laurie Hernandez, she's a total ringer that should win. I think I already said this but it's comical that they act like these type of contestants (gymnasts, athletes in general) don't have any particular advantage. As much as anything they have an ability to physically push their bodies way further than most, to mitigate aches and pains and be single minded of focus. To suggest that isn't a massive advantage is ridiculous even if they don't have specific dance training in their backgrounds.

I didn't finish the second night this week and wasn't really paying attention to what I did watch. Second nights are always terrible, it's just enough already. But every time I paid any attention the were playing audio of Bruno critiquing while the dancers were performing. And he seemed to be very mean spirited in his words. Even Len has toned himself down in recent seasons. It was funny to me that they showed that clip of Derek asking those protesters to leave and he was telling them 'this is a positive show'. And he's right, because if it was mean spirited I wouldn't watch. When a person is a poor dancer they (and we) don't need to be beaten over the head, it's obvious to anyone with functioning eyes. Usually they say "eh it had some problems but you tried your best" or something along those lines. Hearing Bruno yelling "no, no" while people were dancing seemed rude and the kind of thing that might earn you a broken nose when the lights go down.

Even Lochte, who I think is a total clown, they're treating him well as they should. You've invited him into your home, don't treat him like garbage. So don't treat anyone else like that by insulting them. I found it odd that the show chose to present Bruno's nastiness last night.

Oh, and Cheryl Burke. Damn! I dug her when she had a bit heavier but now that she's lost a bit of weight? Damn! That pink dress she was wearing on Monday night? Damn!

16. SizzleVonSizzleton

Nearly broke the internet with this thread didn't we?:D

17. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Not many fans of DWTS here.

18. MikaelaArsenault

I guess not. :(

alexpop likes this.
  19. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Don't know why? Great eye candy. I'm absolutely in love with Lindsay. But I wouldn't kick out Witney either.

shokhead and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  20. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

If I didn't have a dvr, I wouldn't watch it. I like watching the dances (well, most of them), but most of the rest of the show is a waste of time. Too much behind the scenes stuff. Too much recap. Too much time spent announcing who is safe and who is in jeopardy and, ultimately, who is going home.

From a dance perspective, many of the routines on So You Think You Can Dance are far more compelling.

21. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

I actually like the behind the scenes stuff, because it is dancing with the stars and behind the scenes they are dancing many of the times. What I hate often are the musical acts and the endless recapping.

22. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Apparently the producers feel the same way as many of the younger dancers and members of the troupe apparently had been contestants on that show. Only the older ones like Cheryl, Max, Karina, Louis, Kim, and the foreign ones don't have anything to do with that show now.

23. MikaelaArsenault

I don't know why either.

alexpop likes this.
  24. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Sure he should.

25. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

He is and a pretty good dancer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.