D'Angelo - "Black Messiah" (15-Dec-2014)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whisperinwind21, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Russell Elevado @RussElevado
    Thnx to @philipmcardle who told me #BlackMessiah is available to own in hi res 96k audio. http://www.hdtracks.com/black-messiah-209416… @HDtracks @questlove @RBMA

Russell Elevado ‏@RussElevado
    for those buying the hi res 96k version of #BlackMessiah select the WAV format, the original format we used. @questlove @RBMA @okayplayer

1. Philip McArdle ‏@philipmcardle
      @RussElevado Aw, I already went with ALAC. Definitely worse, or is it just safer to avoid an extra conversion if you can?

2. Russell Elevado ‏@RussElevado
      @philipmcardle exactly, avoid another conversion. we haven't approved any hi res formats other than WAV which means they're converting them.

Well, that's interesting. But I don't really understand. If you convert a lossless file to another lossless file, it should sound the same, shouldn't it?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    Naughty Chord likes this.
  2. amoergosum

3. aalloca

aalloca Forum Resident

Bought the 96/24 from HD TRACKS last night. Have to listen more closely, I hear some improvements but that pino bass is in the way.... so drudgy. I love the guy and his basslines. I really just wish his sound was less flatwound old dead strings plucked with thumb dub reggae, it has bother me for years since he left fretless world. even on the trio John Mayer album too.

4. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

" Russell Elevado ‏@RussElevado
    @philipmcardle exactly, avoid another conversion. we haven't approved any hi res formats other than WAV which means they're converting them."

Does this guy know anything about lossless compression?

Loving the album, BTW. Pop music sorely needed this.

5. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Apologies if this has already been posted, but as I rip my CD, I noticed in the liners (verbatim):

No digital "plug-ins' of any kind were used in this recording. All of the recording, processing, effects and mixing was done in the analog domain using tape and mostly vintage equipment. For best results, listen at maximum volume.

6. amoergosum

Can you post the dynamic range numbers? If you don't know how, just send me a pm.

7. amoergosum

Questlove has replied to more questions since my last post >>>

"will we see, much like the soulquarian movement late 90's early 00's,
    Other artists with the Vanguard
    Like Common, Badu, the Roots)

(Voodoo, Mama's Gun, LWFC, TFA)"

Questlove: "did some drumming on Erykah's new jawn, the Roots will be taking it back to square one and start recording in jan. who knows?"

---

"why hasnt D done all vocals? is it really because he wanted the Vanguard to get credit or did D take too long to finish/redoing his vocals?
    for instance, it's a shame Another Life wasnt entirely done by D imo."

Questlove:
    "think of it as 1999.
    Another Life is all him.
    Charade is all of them tho.
    he wants to present it like a "group effort" but this is really him at the center"

---

"1000 deaths, the demo showed a lot potential.
    was D in the driver seat for the current remix? or was it you/russ that changed this using the original demo tapes?"

Questlove: "
    potential?
    don't get nothing twisted. this was his vision.
    the only thing not executed were strings on another life.
    and the cover.
    but yeah this aint no chinese democracy"

---

"2011 to now, how much changed in the sound/mixes of the songs before the Euro tour up till now?"

Questlove: "
    small changes in my opinion.
    like replacing rhodes for piano in sugar daddy
    or adding a vocal part in "1000"
    or scrapping drums in "back to the future"
    its always a work in progress. just a slow cotdamn work in progress"

Buda and Naughty Chord like this.
  8. Awesome to hear double LP and also RTI - doing things right!

Still curious to know if the LP will be using a digital master or was it a straight analog (AAA) transfer? In keeping with the tradition of other elements in the album, recording / mixing in analog, you would think for the LP they would go AAA all the way!

9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed folder: /Users/gabe/Music/HDtracks/D'Angelo/Black Messiah
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR8 -0.30 dB -9.72 dB 01-Ain't That Easy.m4a
    DR6 -0.30 dB -8.15 dB 02-1000 Deaths.m4a
    DR6 -0.30 dB -8.58 dB 03-The Charade.m4a
    DR8 -0.30 dB -10.12 dB 04-Sugah Daddy.m4a
    DR7 -0.30 dB -10.20 dB 05-Really Love.m4a
    DR8 -0.27 dB -9.63 dB 06-Back to the Future (Part I).m4a
    DR8 -0.30 dB -9.94 dB 07-Till It's Done (Tutu).m4a
    DR8 -0.30 dB -9.60 dB 08-Prayer.m4a
    DR7 -0.30 dB -9.80 dB 09-Betray My Heart.m4a
    DR9 -0.30 dB -11.63 dB 10-The Door.m4a
    DR7 -0.30 dB -9.49 dB 11-Back to the Future (Part II).m4a
    DR7 -0.30 dB -9.06 dB 12-Another Life.m4a

Number of files: 12
    Official DR value: DR7

==============================================================================================

10. Gabe Walters

I'm guessing D'Angelo told Pino to play that way. When you read Quest's comments about recording Voodoo, D'Angelo constantly had to tell him and Pino to play behind the beat and make things murky.

11. Gabe Walters

Someone should just ask Russ Elevado that question on Twitter. I'd do it myself, but I don't have an account.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  12. amoergosum

That's even a little worse than the CD dynamic range-wise. How do you like the sound (compared with the CD)?

13. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

Those numbers confirm my initial impression of the 24 bit Qobuz FLAC download ie nothing to write home about. Five star album but I am a bit let down by the sound (Naim/Linn DS playback).

Someone posted a tweet from the engineer stating the only hi red download they approved was WAV - all others are conversions. My Qobuz FLACS are not "conversions" - They should be identical to the WAV's

14. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

Good to here- I have a CD waiting for me at the Post Office. I want to see if it sounds better than my Qobuz 24 bit download

amoergosum likes this.
  15. I don't have one either.

16. Gabe Walters

I think it sounds fine, but I don't live and die by DR numbers. Especially in this case, you can bet the dynamic range in the result of an artistic choice. Whether that choice is good or bad is up to the listener, of course.

mikemoon likes this.
  17. amoergosum

Ok, I just asked him via Twitter. I'm not into LPs but I felt like helping you guys...;)

18. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Man, can't get that nasty funk of "1000 Deaths" outta my head. What a statement to put that track second on the album. I don't think I've ever heard a dirtier groove. Filthily infectious!

19. Much appreciated!

20. Been stuck in my head for two days straight. The chorus section takes it to the next level for me. And also the glitchy / bass guitar muted noise makes the track too!

21. amoergosum

That's great. I'm curious which version you're gonna prefer.

22. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

Good news indeed. This just went from "wait for reviews" to "preorder now" for me. And if it turns out to be AAA 2LP for $24 I'm going to be super stoked.

EDIT: Preordered! $29.97 shipped ($23.99 + $5.98) from D'angelo official. That seems like a completely fair price with reasonable shipping.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    drivingfrog likes this.
  23. Cracklebarrel

Cracklebarrel Forum Resident

It's on Spotify.

24. amoergosum

25. Awesome, thanks for the information!

amoergosum likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.