Daniel Day-Lewis quits acting

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I thoroughly enjoy his work as an actor, but he is so selective that in effect, he has quit a long, long time ago. I do have to respect his selectivity -- in contrast to S. Jackson and N. Cage, who appear in about three forgettable movies every week.

GodShifter likes this.
  2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

next maybe we will get real lucky and johnny depp will quit doing whatever he does on the movie screen.

3. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I don’t know about Cage. I’ve actually been on a Cage bender the last week and have watched about 8 of the so-called “forgettable” movies that he has made in the last 10 years or so. I found everyone to be very entertaining except Season of the Witch (which was just boring). AFI Top 500 material? –no, but fun escapism nonetheless.

4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Good actor, enjoy retirement.

5. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Johnny has set several new speed records over the past months -- nobody can burn through money with such blazing speed.

GodShifter likes this.
  6. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Actually, his last public performance will be in 2018: acceptance speech for his 4th "best actor" Academy Award

garrincha and Mazzy like this.
  7. :confused:
    The film's casting was a major flaw -long before post-production.

GodShifter likes this.
  8. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Some people retire at a lot younger age. He's worth about 50 million and 60 years old. Doesn't really need to work.

9. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Standard, sarcastic and unfunny British response: 'I didn't know he ever started, ha ha!'

Seriously: I've enjoyed his screen performances and no one can doubt his dedication to his work. I suspect he might change his mind if something special came along.

Andy Smith likes this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is this another thread ?
    That makes it three.
    Daniel Day Lewis has some fan base.

11. No the two threads were combined into this 1 single thread.

Put down that bong :tiphat:

sunspot42 and GodShifter like this.
  12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

When I first saw "Gangs of New York" I thought it was the best movie I'd ever seen. For several years I retained that opinion but as time went by I recognized it was a very flawed movie with some real problems. I'd never include DDL's performance in it as that though. Scorsese's annoying tropes are more to blame.

I was listening to a radio station that was reviewing his career and a hipster was dumping on him for his performance in "There Will Be Blood". Seriously? Is there a slight bit of camp in his performance? Perhaps, but it still remains one of the best performances of an actor I've ever seen and is still my favorite movie of all time. What does that say about me? You know what? I could care less. DDL is one of the best actors ever. Ever.

Desolation Row likes this.
  13. Yeah lots of people on line feel Blood is long and boring. I don't. Like the Master by the same filmmaker , it does have majestic and long slow scenes and takes it time to tell its story. I find Blood the better of the two , but it's not a film for everyone and a movie I usually prefer seeing alone and not with impatient people.

14. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

He made plenty of dough with his Mohican Master 2000, so I guess he doesn't need the money.

Better Call Saul fans will recognize a young Bob Odenkirk in this segment.

Manimal likes this.
  15. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I was predisposed to dislike There Will Be Blood based on an over-the-top review by Time Out (New York), which has an annoying tendency to like movies and plays based on their content and/or political viewpoint rather than their cinematic merit. The reviewer even had the temerity to compare the film to Citizen Kane.

It turned out to be one the best movies I've seen in the past 25 or so years. I don't think I've seen a better movie since.

Desolation Row likes this.
  16. alexpop

Lost

vince likes this.
  17. alexpop

Watched Gangs Of New York the other day, must admit even better than I recall. Riveting performance from DDL

carrick doone and townsend like this.
  18. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

yeah, other than the complete misstep of casting Diaz and introducing that crappy love interest thing, Gangs is a superb movie...and as you say, DDL is phenomenal. that scene where he has the flag wrapped around him, in particular, is spellbinding

19. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Diaz wasn't Marty's choice; he wanted Sarah Polley in that role but Weinstein vetoed it, wanting a bigger star name...

20. alexpop

Over 3 hours version was edited on Harvey Weinstein's orders.

21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Or someone he'd rather rub up against.

OldSoul likes this.
  22. alexpop

Surprised Diaz didn't spill the beans, mind you she did alright subsequently.

Marty said he'd never work with the guy /HW after Gangs editing against MS's wishes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.