"Danny Says" Danny Fields doc to be released Sept 30, 2016

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by listner_matt, Aug 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource Thread Starter

(Yup, I looked for a previous thread -- but it's four years old and locked.)

Good news! Just saw this update on Brooklyn Vegan the other day:
    "Danny Says will be released by Magnolia Pictures on September 30 in theaters and on-demand/digitally."

Let's keep our collective fingers crossed.

I hope everyone who remembers the previous thread enjoys the news (can't believe it's been 4 years since that thread appeared, time continues to fly). If this doc is any where as good as the Shep Gordon doc (Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon) from a few years back, I'll be damn happy. And I really enjoyed the Gordon doc -- but I figure Danny Fields ran with an even more intriguing cast of characters (Lou Reed, Nico, the Stooges, the MC5, the Ramones).

Trailer is up at the Brooklyn Vegan link above....

2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

This is what I posted in that thread you mention:

Fields was a Warhol/Factory insider from the early days, Doors/Cream publicist, hanger on, signed the Stooges/MC5 , was record label "House Freak" as they were called, introduced Iggy to Bowie, managed Ramones, early supporter of the Allman Brothers, knows/knew everybody who was anybody, he knows a lot of inside info. At one point he was writing an autobiography, don't know what became of it. He has one of the best stories to tell, no way will it be dull.

Wish he would have finished the damned autobiography, and I hope they let Fields do most of the talking in the film.

listner_matt likes this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

:kilroy: ...interested now.

ralphb likes this.
  4. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource Thread Starter

Hey Ralphb - I recall what you wrote in the earlier thread. Thanks for the repost above.

It looks like Danny does a good deal of talking in the trailer -- I have a hunch the doc is based on interviews with him.

Fingers still crossed...

EDIT: and here's a link to the official "Danny Says" movie page

ralphb likes this.
  5. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

He did an interview in Perfect Sound Forever some years ago where mentions being friends with Jerry Wexler and Wexler sent him out to check Phil Walden's bands just after they inked a deal and he caught the Brothers in a small club then went back to the label raving that they were amazing. Or something like that. It's a pretty revealing interview. He's about a lot more than just the Velvets, Warhol and Ramones.

Myke likes this.
  6. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Who the heck is this person.?
    To warrant a dvd release?

7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

9. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I watched this on Netflix. It was interesting. And I fell in love with Edie Sedgwick.

Interesting that he was the one that got the John Lennon "We're more popular than..." printed in the US.

dlemaudit likes this.
  10. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

gotta check this out

11. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Watched this on Netflix over the past weekend. Good stuff. Danny has a lot of interesting friends with great stories.

Danny himself, however, displayed all the charisma of a wet mop during his interview segments. He must've been a livelier fellow in his younger days.

dlemaudit, O Don Piano and mdm08033 like this.
  12. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I watched this on my public transportation commute to work today. Great fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.