Danzig "Black Laden Crown"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theshape, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theshape

theshape Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

I know a lot of the excitement on the board today is for a certain band's 50th Anniversary Box Set... Which I'm also excited about. But, there's also a new album from Danzig out today that I'm waiting for to arrive as well! I didn't see any threads dedicated to this new album, so I figured I would start one.

:righton:

Brenald79, mick_sh, Anarseo and 7 others like this.
  2. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

Thanks for the reminder. I need to grab this today. I really enjoyed "Deth Red Sabaoth." Seemed to resurrect a bit of the classic Danzig sound.

theshape likes this.
  3. theshape

No problem! I too love Deth Red Sabaoth and am looking forward to listening to this new album!

I went with the cd and the orange swirl LP. \m/

4. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I'm torn on getting this one. I really, really liked Deth Red Sabaoth and would love for this one to be in the same ballpark. However, all of the reviews I've read so far has been really, really negative. I'll be interested to hear what folks around these parts have to say before I take the plunge myself.

But this does give me another chance to post my favorite photo of Glenn ever:
    [​IMG]

5. theshape

Well, I haven't paid any attention to any reviews honestly... I've heard the two songs that have been released, but that's it. Some people didn't seem too happy with what they were hearing, but that can totally change within the context of the album. So, I just do what I always do and check it out for myself. \m/

Brenald79 likes this.
  6. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I like it. I have the iTunes version but will get the CD later this afternoon. One thing I noticed is that at the 2 minute mark of The Witching Hour the volume drops quite a bit lower than the beginning of the song and the rest of the songs on the album.

7. Almost ordered the red vinyl from a German seller but will hold off until some reviews come back...

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I too liked Deth Red Sabaoth, but felt it was held back by terrible production and even worse guitar solos (sorry Prong/Tommy Victor fans.)

The reviews of the new one are mixed. One unanimous sentiment across all of them though, is the production stinks again :-(

I downloaded the Itunes version and will listen for myself later tonight. Should make for great dinner music!

9. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I like Deth Red Sabaoth but like Black Laden Crown better. Yes, the production still stinks but I find it better than the last album. I am listening to the iTunes versions though.

Mr. H likes this.
  10. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Listened tonight, much to the chagrin of my poor wife and kid who wanted nothing more than to plan our Disney vacation! :)

It's ok.....it does not suck like the covers album. Not as good as Deth Red Sabaoth IMO. Tommy Victor's guitar playing is more coherent here but still not great....lot's of out of tune bends and his timing is out to lunch. The "riffing" is great though - lots of heavy guitars. But therein lies the rub.....most of the excitement when listening to this album comes via the rhythm guitars - not the vox. Poor Glenn sounds like he did in 1988....that is, if he had a bad cold back then. His voice is really showing some serious strain. He is still Evil Elvis though! :)

The other issue is the mix. There are times when it sounds like Danzig is singing along to a backing track that is playing 3 rooms away.

I dunno....maybe I am being too harsh. But I feel the whole delivery is flawed. Sorry.

jeffsab likes this.
  11. TEKWRX

TEKWRX Am I Demon?

Got the vinyl today. I didn't listen to any of the preview tracks and had read some people saying it sucked so I feared the worst. I'm glad to say I was pleasantly suprised. It's really good. Much better than Skeletons, and maybe better than DRS. Production is kinda weird, but I dig the songs.

Only bummer is my copy came with two deep 1" long scratches that make the last track on side A practically unlistenable for the first minute or do. Gonna email Nuclear Blast and see if they can send a replacement :realmad:

[​IMG]

12. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Nice SL-1600

TEKWRX likes this.
  13. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

terrible, terrible album. to say his voice is completely shot doesn't fully encompass just how much little Glenn shouldn't be doing vocals anymore.

jeffsab and bradman like this.
  14. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

ArpMoog likes this.
  15. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

16. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Danzig needs a hug

zphage likes this.
  17. motionoftheocean

I love Glenn Danzig, especially the first 4 Danzig albums. Love the Misfits. I don't know how he allowed the song above to be released.

kannibal and Stormrider77 like this.
  18. theshape

Someone digs Sugar Ray... At least a little. Lol

19. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

At least it's better than the Danzig 5 album

20. theshape

Upon my copy being delivered, I opened it up and ripped it to my pc. Afterward, I played it through the pc speakers. During my first listen through, I was also juggling text messages and phone calls... Not a good mix. While doing these things I remember thinking this new album is quite a bit slower/mid tempo than DRS. And that I couldn't really hear much of the kick drum.

Fast forward to this morning... I load the cd copy into the stereo. Totally different experience. Everything instantly sounded much better to my ears. I paid complete attention while listening this time. The music filled up the house and I enjoyed it, save for the occasional crackling... Usually whenever Glenn belts it out more loudly, or higher guitar parts. The drums were easily heard and more booming on the stereo. Almost thunderous. Sort of like what I've heard in small clubs. I dig it. I also recall this being the case with Skeletons & DRS, where the drums are concerned.

As far as Glenn's voice, it's obvious aging and wear and tear have had their effects. That doesn't mean he sounds terrible though. Just that if one is expecting him to sound like he did on Lucifuge... You might not dig it. Also, after years of reading comments about how his voice was more buried in the mix, it seems to me that Glenn saw these or heard about them and took it to the extreme a little. By making sure his voice is way up front this time. It doesn't ruin the album by any means, for me anyway. In fact, a lot of the time, the vocal sound on this album causes me to imagine Glenn belting these songs out in various rooms of an old musty castle! Lol.

Anyway, there's some of my thoughts concerning the album. I'm enjoying it. If he plans to do more albums of original songs, I hope he doesn't take so long. \m/

ArpMoog, punkmusick and Brenald79 like this.
  21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I'm waiting my CD arrive. Is the woman in the promo pic above the same as the Skeletons cover? Is that his wife?

It's great he puts on these shows with other 90s metal bands like Ministry, Suicidal Tendencies, Corrosion of Conformity. There's even a ride called the Vomit Machine. Reminds me of Expo '86 that had a ride called the Scream Machine lol.
    Glenn Danzig on Dark New LP, Misfits, Why He Hates Recent Presidents

22. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

The woman on the cover is Kayden Kross. She's an Action Woman...

Glenn does sound tired on this one. The production isn't as bad as everyone says. It's a metal album, so it doesn't need to be super clean.
    Pull The Sun is a killer closer.

23. TEKWRX

TEKWRX Am I Demon?

Great song! One of my favorites on the new one

24. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Nah not even close IMO. This sounds like a parody of himself, at least 5 was trying something different and out of his wheelhouse.

25. motionoftheocean

which is saying something because that Skeletons album - the one where Glenn is sporting full C-cups - is essentially a parody, but it's excusable because it's all covers. BLC is ostensibly new material, and it's somehow more laughable.

Stormrider77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.