Daredevil - Netflix Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Pepper, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Daredevil season 1 was excellent. The martial arts choreography is miles ahead of any other superhero TV or movie in the last ten years. Compare the famous 'single cut hallway fight' to the steaming pile that is 'Iron Fist fights drunken Kung-Fu guy'.

Daredevil S2. Had the excellent Elektra and the Punisher!

Jessica Jones brought some gravity to Marvel; It takes a C-list villain (Killgrave/PurpleMan) and shows what his power (mindcontrol), which would be a throw-away issue in a comic book, and shows how it would play amongst actual people.... He's a rolling train of life-ending PTSD

Like Cage has a good message but I can't watch it in my house because I have a six year old and they drop the N-bomb 200+ times in season one. Monkey-hear monkey-repeat at school.

Iron Fist just makes me angry it's so awful. IF's superpower is magical Kung-Fu, just make a loving homage to 1970's Shaw bros. cinema and your done. No. I.F. hires the worst possible fight choreography and stunt team they can find. Most of the HK martial arts greats are still alive and they work cheap by American standards. Harold the zombie was a good character and Tom Pelphrey knocked-it-out-of-the-park as the ******* junkie Ward. Kudos to him.

The Defenders. I didn't hate it as much as Iron Fist. Did the world need a superhero group where all the members superpowers are basically punching people? No, but it's better than Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I think a lot of it is that The Hand is made up to be a secret cabal of badasses, but it's really just Madam Gao, an incredibly entitled and petulant Sigourney Weaver and three other nobodies who may as well have no lines they're such throwaway characters.

beercanchicken likes this.
  2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I was really hoping the Punisher would have shown up in Defenders.............

3. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

Luke Cage was probably my 2nd favorite, after DD S1. Get some headphones and watch when the little one is asleep! It has a good message, great music and I really liked the "feel" of it, like a pulpy 70's movie in Harlem

4. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

There was a scene toward the end I was almost certain he would show up but alas...

5. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I think out of all the Opening Theme tunes, Jessica Jones is likely my favourite! :)

Vidiot likes this.
  6. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I loved the first two DD seasons.

The Defenders had the feel of a CW show in comparison; a bit cheesy at times.

melstapler likes this.
  7. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Have to admit that I( never cared for the iron Fist comic back in the day. I know it was based on a concept by Bill Everett but when it appeared, it just seemed like a poor knock off of the then rather good Master of Kung Fu. I liked Luke Cage on his own, though.

melstapler likes this.
  8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

That Master of Kung-Fu, when Gulacy was on board, was great. I loved the including of the Fu Manchu characters which I had enjoyed reading via the books in the previous decade.

One thing that I just don't quite get with Season 1 of Daredevil: why was the gun that Karen Page picked up to kill the lawyer. . . loaded when he stated it wasn't? Did I miss something?

9. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Man I loved it as a kid, when it was drawn by John Byrne.

10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Oh, nothing against the art, it was more the storylines. Usually, the art had to be good for me to enjoy anything. As I recall, the Luke Cage was kind of rough and ready, though.

Manimal likes this.
  11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

It surprises me how often comics, movies, and now tv, get the kung fu 'thing' all wrong. When they deviate from the fighting style, it stops becoming a martial arts thing and devolves into a generic brawl. I borrowed an Avengers book from the library and apparently, Shang Chi is in the group now (or was). Here's the thing, if you take away the stances, the poses, the kicks, the kee-yas(!), the character just devolves into yr standard generic non-powered fighting superhero, of which there are too many already. That's how Marvel handled Shang Chi, master of kung fu, son of Fu Manchu as an Avenger. You'd think they'd know better. Nowadays, 'cinematic' comics are the norm but the Doug Moench/Paul Gulacy MOKF books were the 1st to really feel like a big budget James Bond movie! Gulacy actually drew Sean Connery and Marlon Brando into the series as recurring characters, great stuff!

12. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I seem to remember a lot of the character was subsumed to group dynamics. I am going back to the 80s/90s here but Captain America, a questioning, searching character in his own book, became a bore who gave orders. Back then, one of the more interesting things was the friendship/respect between Iron Man and Thor and their alter egos. Problem with a lot of group books like this is that the creators think the fans want to see as many people as possible beating seven bells out of each other/the bad guys, often at the expense of character stuff. I know they're comic books, but I wanted a bit a both. The other issue is that there are some characters who should NEVER be part of a group - Daredevil and Spidey, for instance.

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I re-watched Daredevil Season 2, this time the first time on Blu-ray, and I enjoy it more each time. I can "get" the complaint about all the ninjas. . . but that is so Miller-era Daredevil, which this show is as well, and really the Hand/Black Sky theme ties in Stick and Elektra well, it all makes sense and the second and third time through it all seems so well put together.

I know there's a long wait, but I'm eager to see Season 3. Looks as if Ms Yung will be back, and that's good. I really like her, she's beautiful, she's actually trained in some martial arts, and she's perfectly cast, imo, as Ms Nachios.

melstapler and Tree of Life like this.
  14. tommy-thewho

Re watching both seasons again getting ready for Season 3.

Supposedly Kingpin and Bullseye are the main baddies.

Still think Season 1 the episode with Stick first showing up is my fav. episode.

Hope Punisher makes a cameo again.

melstapler likes this.
  15. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I'm currently doing the same. Been through season 1&2 and now I'm re-watching "Defenders". S 1 is still my favourite DD season, but I really enjoy them all and I'm looking forward to S 3.

I think the fight scenes are great, but during S 2 I found DD's absolute take on not killing people a bit unconvincing, given the way he fights his opponents. When you hit people's heads repeatedly on the concrete floor, hit them with iron bars over the head or throw them from roofs, you have to be somewhat at ease with eventually killing them. I know, I know, it's part of the genre that people can fist fight for hours without dying and obviously the only way to get killed is by being shot or stabbed, but still. I'm all for comic heroes not killing the bad guys, but this show was way to violent to be convincing in that department.

Having said that, the long fight scenes when he freed the kid in S 1 or fought the bikers in the stairway in S 2 are among the best I've seen since "Oldboy".

16. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Season Three released today. Gonna start the first episode right now . . . .

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

This is the only surviving Marvel series I still watch, though it was very touch and go after S2.

I've seen 3 eps of S3 and so far, so good (no fraking Ninjas, yet - yay!). Of course, what immediately elevates the proceedings is having Fisk back as the big bad. He could stare at a phone book and be more menacing than most villains.

GodShifter, swedgin and Vidiot like this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I agree. Vincent D'Onofrio is one helluva actor. He's not as gigantic as the Kingpin from the comics -- that guy was something like 6'9", 400 pounds -- but his presence is amazing and his acting ability is the best in the entire show.

budwhite likes this.
  19. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Season 3 appears to be a return to form..gripping scenes especially the prison in episode 4. Great to have the menace of Fisk back.. can they keep up this level for all 13 episodes?

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I've seen 8 and so far the answer is...yes! Usually by now there would have been quite a bit of mid-season sag, but it feels like things are just starting to ramp up!

The key is that there are multiple interesting subplots involving the ensemble cast as well as newcomers (Murdock/DD/Sister Maggie, Fisk/Poindexter, Page/Nelson, agent Nadeem) which keep propelling the plot forward.

misterbozz likes this.
  21. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I have to wonder at Netflix.

It sends me loads of email notifying me of shows I wouldnt watch but then failed totally to let me know a show I have watched and is still in my watch list has new episodes.

22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Season 3 is better than Season 1. I think it is the second best Marvel/Netflix offering next to Jessica Jones Season 1.

...and yes, they keep the pace brisk for all 13 episodes.

23. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I've watched Daredevil S1 and S2 and Jessica Jones S1 ... does Daredevil S3 refer back to any other Marvel series that I haven't seen yet?

--Geoff

24. So was The Defenders a one-off? I had hopes that it would have a second season and improve on the first. I also think that "The Punisher" and "Daredevil" along with "Jessica Jones" are the stand out shows from Marvel. I think that their TV division can only handle so much at a given time before it becomes diluted and unnecessary.

25. tommy-thewho

I'm on episode 3 of the new season.

Bit slow starting out.

Good job by the
    mom.

[Moderator Note: Added spoiler tag. You clearly are familiar with the comics, but this is not established in the first three episodes of the show]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.