Daredevil - Netflix Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Pepper, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I'm motoring through and I totally agree. So far, better than season 1 for me.

Deesky likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I've seen it all now and I'd have to agree that this season was probably slightly better than S1. It's been a while since S1, but I do recall that I was very impressed at the time, with a few quibbles. This season almost didn't put a foot wrong and rarely had me thinking things were padded out.

The only exception was the episode about Karen's backstory towards the end of the season. At that point, the story was really cracking along and then this episode lands out of the blue and nearly kills all the momentum that was built up. It just felt like the flashback went on too long and was placed at an awkward point, pacing wise. Still, the episode did pick up a fair bit before it ended, so I'm not going to be too critical. But that's about it, everything else was darn good!

3. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Yes, I had only just posted my reply above when I stumbled onto that episode next, definitely went on twice as long as it needed to.
    I watched it all too and would definitely say it bettered season 1 for me, in terms of the impression it left, and the fact that in general it never felt it was spinning its wheels to get to 13 episodes. I noticed the average episode length was closer to 50 minutes than to an hour, that probably helped.

4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Just a question. I've seen every season of Daredevil up until this one, but I'm wondering if I need to see any of the ensemble series (is it the Defenders?) before I start this season of Daredevil. Any thoughts on that? Thanks thread.

5. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Maybe watch the last episode of The Defenders. :)

wavethatflag likes this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I had only seen Jessica Jones S1 and Luke Cage S1 before bailing on those and nothing else (other than Daredevil S1 & S2) and I loved DD-S3. It never felt like I was missing something. It seemed pretty much self contained within its own universe (though seeing DD-S1 is definitely a big plus).

wavethatflag likes this.
  7. wavethatflag

Exactly the answer I was looking for, and in the form I wanted. Or something like that. Good answer, because I really dug the first two seasons of DD (although I think Season 1 is the best), and I hope this one at least sort-of delivers. I don't have excruciatingly high standards here.

The series went a little downhill for me when he transitions from the ninja outfit to the Daredevil costume proper. But I may have got over that. It's been a while since Season 2 it seems.

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I thought S2 of DD was really bad. It put me off the Netflix Marvel stuff outside of Jessica Jones (and even S2 of that wasn’t great). Never seen The Defenders, Iron Fist, or Luke Cage.

This is worth watching eh?

YardByrd likes this.
  9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The only part of The Defenders that directly feeds into Daredevil Season 3 is so sufficiently covered by exposition in Daredevil Season 3 that the only risk is a spoiler for the end of The Defenders.

10. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

If you don't like the costume you might enjoy S3. :)

It seems they never really felt comfortable with the outfit. It took them a whole season to actually put Daredevil in it, only to make fun of it in Defenders ("I like the ears") and ditch it again in S3. The problem might be that no other hero or villian in the Netflix/Marvel universe is wearing any kind of costume. It just feels weird in these rather adult shows. I personally prefer the non-costume approach.

YardByrd and wavethatflag like this.
  11. wavethatflag

The first episode of S3 was good, I thought. But yeah, my biggest problem with the series thus far is the costume, for some reason, but that's kind of a minor point. Is it because Ben Affleck just about ruined this character before this fine series? :D

wolfram likes this.
  12. BrentR79

BrentR79 Forum Resident

Just binged season 3 and thought it was great. I've watched all the Netflix Marvel series and enjoyed them all. Some are better than others, but Daredevil seasons 1 and 3 are head and shoulders above the others. I am looking forward to Punisher season 2. Jessica Jones is fine, but definitely rates 3rd for me of the 3 remaining series .

13. I'm 5 episodes in. The first 3 were a bit tedious, save for any scene with Kingpin. But episodes 4 and 5 have picked up so I'm along for the ride.

I've said it before but I'll say it again - Vincent D'Onofrio deserves an Emmy nomination for his work in this series.

YardByrd and ex_mixer like this.
  14. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

I'm 4 or 5 episodes in and its been really hit or miss for me so far (I thought S1 was superb). A couple of episodes are really dragging for me (exactly why I havent connected with most other Marvel Netflix shows)
    I'm hanging in there, based on the concensus here.

YardByrd likes this.
  15. wolfram

I finished S3 and thought it was very good, though it took a while to get going.

One or two things confused me though:
    Why is Daredevil having such a hard time fighting Dex? We've seen him taking on 20 skilled fighters at once and beating the hell out of them. Dex doesn't seem to be any special, except for his talent to throw stuff. Was it because Matt wasn't fully recovered yet? I found that a bit weird. And why did he stop Dex from killing Fisk at the end. Did he consider not saving him the same as killing him himself? Letting Dex do it would have been the perfect solution for his dilemma, no?

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Not if you want Fisk to scheme another day...

17. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

As a kid in the 70s and teen in 80s, I was mostly into DC war comics (Sgt Rock, GI Combat etc)... DD was the only superhero comic I read back then... really liked S1 and was impressed by the casting... S2 wasn't quite as good, but was happy DD was in his iconic threads... just binged S3 and even though Bullseye is now here, wasn't particularly thrilled with the storyline... I'll try S4 when it comes, but it better begin with a bang or I won't hang around...

18. wolfram

Sure, it makes sense to keep him alive in the context of the show. But why have Matt actually save him? He wanted him dead from the start of the season. Is this supposed to show his redemption?
    Also, why do you think I put spoiler tags around my question?

19. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Reminds me to stay off these threads until I've seen the entire series.

In any case, I made it through E5, which I'm guessing is the tipping point for this season.

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Maybe so, but equally it's been mentioned multiple times that Daredevil doesn't kill (on purpose).

If you're gonna ask a question in a discussion forum, expect to get an answer. It is ridiculous to have a an extended exchange buried in spoiler tags.

21. wolfram

Forget it, not going to continue with you on this. If you find it impossible (or ridiculous) to discuss the ending of a show without spoiling it for everyone else just one week after it got out, I want no part in this.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Suit your self. Why anyone would read a discussion thread about a show they haven't seen and didn't want to be spoiled on is beyond me.

Stormrider77 and GodShifter like this.
  23. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I've done 7 episodes so far and I'm totally engrossed with Vincent D'Onofrio's amazing performance as Wilson Fisk. Man, is he so intimidating this Season. I can now see why people want him to play Baron Vladimir Harkonnen in Denis Villeneuve's Dune film(s). Sure, he can be quite menacing but I still hope they surprise me with the Baron's casting. :)

chrischerm and Shawn like this.
  24. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I've seen earlier seasons and liked them. But I don't like shows where the main character is disabled so he's not himself. So I'm wondering, does Daredevil ever get it back together after his injuries or is he handicapped and hobbling around the whole season?

25. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Just a bit dead for the first episode or two really.

Thomas D likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.