Daredevil - Netflix Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Pepper, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D'onofrio is wonderful in this.

Malina, Vidiot, Mr. H and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

They did not even start dating until more than a year after the movie wrapped, though. :) The Director's Cut fixes one or two things that were wrong with the theatrical cut, but does nothing about the other three dozen things that were wrong with the theatrical cut. :laugh:.

The best part of the DVDs and Blu-rays of the film is an hour long documentary called "Men Without Fear: Creating Daredevil". Its not super-comprehensive, but it does allow a lot of the people who worked on the comics to weigh in on the character and his history in that medium. It was included on the Theatrical Cut DVD and the Director's Cut Blu-ray, but not on the Director's Cut DVD (in North America, not sure about the rest of the world).

Getting back to the topic at hand, though. I watched the series through to the end and was very satisfied with it both as an adaptation of one of my favorite superhero comics and as an operatic crime/action television series.

musicalbeds likes this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, Deborah Ann's a beauty, one of the reasons I stuck with True Blood to the end.

4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Excellent series, I finished it last night. It basically crushes all the other comic series I've watched into the dust, but it's also one of the best dramatic series I've watched this year regardless of genre.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  5. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

So much punching.

Malina and Lonson like this.
  6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

How do we avoid spoilers when anybody can marathon through the entire show in a weekend?

I was hoping to draw this one out for a month, but since the review sites are posting reviews for episodes four and five already I may have to speed up.

7. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

[​IMG]

If this is regarded as a spolier, please delete, but it;s all over the net now!

progrocker71 and DeeThomaz like this.
  8. Aren't these threads really for us to discuss the shows? I don't view until i finally watch an episode or episode.

9. DreadPikathulhu

Yes, but in most cases the show is broadcast one episode a week. We really can't discuss the show in this thread because some people have already watched the entire thing while others prefer to draw it out for a few weeks.

Mr. H likes this.
  10. Spoiler: Daredevil lives.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The red costume is now included in the primary
    The red costume is now featured in the main graphic icon representing the series on Netflix, so that bell cannot be un-rung. :)

12. DreadPikathulhu

I think we all figured that he'd end up in the red costume by the end of the season.

Really, there isn't much people that can say that would be a major spoiler - all of the main characters are right from the comics, and so far as I know still alive there.

I have mixed feelings about this new trend to dump entire series at once. I enjoy the back and forth in this forum and others as each episode is broadcast. Unfortunately, we're not going to get an entire week of people talking about how the origin in episode one was essentially taken right from the comics or the little Easter eggs in the background of that episode, or the really awesome fight in episode two and how it totally fooled me when it started behind a closed door.

turnersmemo likes this.
  13. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I'm glad Netflix is releasing all the episodes at once as that is how I prefer to watch TV now, on my schedule. Compared to the never-ending hiatuses and other broadcast network annoyances (sports event delays) it's about 1000x better for the viewer.

14. Here here.

15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Pretty sure the "Binge-Viewing" model is the way of the future. At least for the truly good stuff.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  16. It's just so much better for the story flow.

ellingtonic likes this.
  17. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Yep! I'm not a fan of the sport of boxing, but in this particular story boxing/punching is a good thing.*

IMO the fight scenes seem really well done (choreographed?) and realistic - I was almost tired myself after watching episode 2's (which I just watched) hallway punch-fest.

Binge-watching: I've been doing that myself with most series I really like, but feel vaguely guilty about it, similar to eating, in one day, a whole large size bag of M&Ms given to me for Halloween as a kid. Plus I kinda miss the anticipation of waiting for the next episode........but then again, I read fiction books all the way through without week-long breaks, so on second thought I guess I'm O.K. with binging. :)

* this is being written by someone looking into joining a jiu-jitsu school, so hopefully I don't sound like a hypocrite

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  18. DreadPikathulhu

I'm glad that they actually show the physical damage that such fighting would cause. That we see Matt struggling to get back up and continue fighting really helps with the realism. Compare this to someone like Batman, who never seems to break a sweat.

19. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I miss the Tick. Anyone remember that one? Doomed from the start, but funny.
    Seriously though I am going to have to check this DD show out, the reviews here make this sound promising.
    Anybody hear about the new cable project for next year called Ash vs. Evil Dead ?
    It's supposed to be with Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi.
    On that note I am looking forward to how the new Twin Peaks will shake out.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Absolutely dynamite show. In some ways, it might be the most authentic, true-to-the-spirit of the comic book adaptation I've ever seen.

I constantly complain how a lot of TV series are padded out with BS just to fill up the minutes... but not this show. There's a lot of meat in every episode of Daredevil, including some very complex, nuanced performances by Charlie Cox (as the title character) and Vincent D'Onofrio (as the Kingpin, aka Wilson Fisk). This is not a simplistic nor is it a toned-down show; it's extremely over-the-top violent with tons of fight scenes, but also a lot of explanation as to how and why the situations happen the way they do. You get a lot of insight into the characters in ways that I seldom see even in huge $200M 2-hour blockbuster films.

I think D'Onofrio is a stand-out, creating an interesting, quirky, neurotic performance as the very damaged villain who controls the city's crime. Once you find out his horrendous backstory, you actually wind up pitying this cruel, horrible, menacing character. Charlie Cox is damaged in a different way, and he creates a very interesting character in Matt Murdock/Daredevil, not necessarily with words but often with action, silence, and just the right expression at the exact perfect moment.

You have to buy into the concept of an ordinary guy who's managed to develop unbelievable skills of hearing and other senses to make up for his lack of sight, on top of supernatural martial arts ability. But if you can suspend your disbelief just enough, the show is really moving, exciting, emotional when it needs to be, and never boring. The supporting characters are also very good; Debra Ann Woll (who previously spent many years on True Blood as a frustrated teenage vampire girl) is completely believable as the attorneys' secretary with many secrets of her own, and Elden Henson looks like he stepped right out of the comic book as the hero's best friend, Foggy Nelson. Each of them goes a long way towards giving really emotional performances with a lot of unexpected twists here and there, all assisted by the kind of snappy one-liners Marvel is known for.

I also think the technical production of the show is first-rate: vivid, striking cinematography with hot yellow backgrounds in night scenes, saturated colors, and a lot of film noir-ish camera moves down back alleys and over city roofs. The sound mix is also really, really good, with a massive amount of low-end, extremely realistic sound effects, and solid dialogue throughout. This is a rare TV show (let alone a Netflix show) that actually has feature-quality sound.

Hands-down, one of the best action shows I've seen in a long long time. I'm waiting with baited breath for the next dozen shows next year!

21. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

And I'm certain too that shows won't end up getting cancelled either. All depending on how each season performs though.

And I finally got to finish the season off last week. Oh man how I can't believe one particular character got killed off already mh me :-(

22. Agree with everything. I enjoyed it more than most of the feature films Marvel.

I think I'm over the "cram in all the superheroes in one film " phase

23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Me too, though I may just be over Downey Jr.

24. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

They're using the chest-up shot of the costume on the main graphic icon, but I noticed a week ago or so that they removed the other large-size images of the costume from the Daredevo; series page. It used to rotate between 3 images - like most of Netflix's series do - but now shows only the group shot of the cast, and the costume shots are nowhere to be found.

25. The prime office and warehouse space is for lease? And by owner no less??? Geez, thanks for the spoiler.

:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.