Daredevil - Netflix Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Pepper, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vanessa is one of the top actresses in Israel.

2. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

As much as I enjoyed the show, I feel like it should've been a period piece, set in 1970's New York.

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Other than cell phones and an occasional computer, I thought it was pretty timeless.

4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I just meant that New York City is very different now than it was when the comic was first published.

5. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The series has to take place in the timeline of the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe). The only exception to that is Agent Carter but that was already setup in the first Captain America film.

6. While I'm good with it being set current day, I definitely get your point. For a long time in the comics Hell's Kitchen reflected the then-current reality that it was a very gritty/crime-ridden place. I'm afraid to ask what the current rents there are now.

Lucidae likes this.
  7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Finished first season today. Well done series.... Can't wait for Season 2....

8. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

I'm watching S1 again it was so good.

bopdd likes this.
  9. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I really like the guy that plays the lead character. I liked him in Boardwalk Empire. The fight scenes are really well choreographed and fun to watch. All that being said, I'm four episodes in & there's no way I can watch a full episode without falling asleep. I really want to like it but I think I'm getting Marvelled out.

10. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

It differs enough in tone and approach it really doesn't feel like the other Marvel material that's currently on the market. I think I'm on the verge of needing a Marvel break, but man I'll be tuning in for next season of this show. I also have high hopes for AKA Jessica Jones which is coming this fall/winter on Netflix.

rufus t firefly likes this.
  11. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It was separate enough that it could stand by itself. Other than a handful of references it could take place in its own universe.

Watching Agents of SHIELD seemed like homework and I got tired of it.

Deesky likes this.
  12. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

The comic book - at its best - was like that too.

13. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I loved Season 1 but felt there were some mistakes....the fight scenes were good, but not well edited. I know a lot of people were going ape-**** over them, but I felt they could have benefited from less cutting, more shots that let us see choreographed fighting without constant interruption. Considering the guy who did Spartacus ran this show, I was expecting more fluid fight scenes. Thankfully, a complete lack of shaky cam.

The Black Sky subplot --- could've been fleshed out a LOT more or perhaps they'll do that Season 2.

The secretary --- claims she only knows bits and pieces of Spanish from high school, then fully translates a Spanish conversation. Yeah, OK, right.

Foggy being a little b*tch and whiny cry baby about Matt. Really annoying and they basically pulled a Jesse from Breaking Bad there. My friend claims they did that to attract/appeal the Latin viewership, because in a lot Latin soap operas the male leads cry a lot.

The fight scene between the ninja and Matt --- did anyone else notice that the set design completely changed during the fight? He walks into the warehouse, and it's completely lit up with yellow outside the windows. They get into the fight and afterwards, and it's a completely different set with no windows and no backlighting.

It's this lack of attention to detail that drive me nuts and really take me out of the series.

14. nbakid2000

In 4K, no less!

15. nbakid2000

There's very little nudity or sex in this --- like virtually none. The profanity is also pretty tame too.

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Sparticus was full of cuts also. Cuts are used for two reasons, one to heighten the sense of fast paced action and two, to hide the limitations of the actual people doing the fighting, be they stunt people or the actors themselves. I had no issues with the fight scenes.

The things you've pointed out, I would put into the minor nitpick catagory which in no way detracted from the overal quality and enkoyment of the show.

17. nbakid2000

I don't think Spartacus had near as many cuts. Maybe I'm wrong. That was the main reason I was impressed with Spartacus action scenes.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I only watched the earlier Spartacus, while the original actor was in it. I'd lost interest after he was replaced (due to his untimely death), so I can't comment what happened later. But I do remember frequent cuts. But what was more annoying for me was the use of other fight scene gimmicks, like frequent slow-mo/freeze frames during a fight and the comical gushing of rivers of blood at the slightest provocation. In fact, I watched the show in spite of the fight scenes, not because of them, mainly because I found the characters extremely interesting and complex.

19. nbakid2000

I think you're missing out. The replacement guy did a fantastic job. They both approached the character in slightly different manners. They both did outstanding work on the series but I think I actually prefer the replacement just slightly more.

Lonson likes this.
  20. nbakid2000

HOLY CRAP Bloodline is SO good! I started it last night and am on episode 7 now. Completley got sucked into it. I love how they're taking their time and not rushing anything. The cinematography kind of has a True Detective vibe, except cheerier. I'm speaking about the shots of the islands and rural areas.

Voodoo Child and Encuentro like this.
  21. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Just finished watching season 1 of Daredevil. Very cool. I liked it a lot.

22. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

It was great fun listening to my wife rant just about every scene Danny was in. A very slimy character that was easy to hate. Bloodline was probably my favorite new series I've seen in awhile.

Encuentro likes this.
  23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

He was also a very sympathetic character, in my opinion.

24. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

It's Marvel's Universe. We get to live in it...
    [​IMG]

Toss up with DD

25. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I think once they knew they could do that successfully, it was as if they had to keep topping it. Frankly, it became a drag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.