Daredevil

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DanG, Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street Thread Starter

Big fan of the comic, I think I actually caught its debut when it began in the early 60's. Especially enjoyed the Frank Miller reincarnation.

Left the theater wondering how DD reconciles the fates of Bullseye and Kingpin, both at his hands. I think this is faithful to the Miller, don't know if I questioned it there, too.

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Beware of spoilers

The comic was different and made more sense. Bullseye was resentful of DD for saving his life in an earlier battle. Through a complicated series of circumstances, Elektra was actually working for the Kingpin as an enforcer despite her history with Matt Murdock. Bullseye escapes from custody and kills Elektra partly to get his old job back. IIRC, Elektra crawls to Murdock's brownstone and dies in his arms. In a subsequent battle, DD defeats Bullseye and they find themselves dangling from a high altitude with DD holding onto Bullseye. Bullseye takes a stab at DD with (I think) one of Elektra's Sais saying that he won't let him save his life again, and DD lets him fall.

Miller's story had a lot more drama and pathos. I thought the film was a bit cheesy and inconsistent in characterization. Stuff like the blind attorney fighting in public out of costume and his inconsistency with how he treated Bullseye vs. the Kingpin that you mentioned made it seem like they did not think things through very well.

BTW, Frank Miller had a cameo in the film as the dead guard when the Kingpin walks into his office and finds Bullseye.

Regards,

3. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street Thread Starter

Didn't catch that, but caught the cameo by Stan Lee, as the guy walking on the street reading the newspaper, pulled back by a young Matt from stepping off the curb into a vehicle. With astonished look afterwards as it dawns on him what happened. Fun.

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

...and the obvious Kevin Smith appearance makes three former DD scripters with cameos. They also had all kinds of Marvel references built in with names like Kirby, Romita, and Quesada popping up.

Regards,

5. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Remember the old black and yellow uniform from the first few issues? I still have most of my old comics but they do show signs of being read and enjoyed. Just started reading Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" again.

6. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

I haven't seen the movie, but I've wondered if they gave Bill Everett credit the way they gave Ditko credit in Spiderman?

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The credits do give Everett co-creator status. They should've credited Wally Wood as well since he designed the red costume. I liked Daredevil. It wasn't great, but it was good enough. Don't think Affleck pulled off the role however; way too tall for the job, much as Keaton was too short for Batman. It was great to have the three main writers(Lee, Miller, and Smith)in cameos, however. They'll bring back Elektra for the sequel.

8. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

Dig Everett working over Kirby's layout on page 1. I heard once that Kirby laid out the whole story, but I don't see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.