Dark Side of The Moon / Ticket To Ride

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ringmaster_D, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves Thread Starter

I was just reading one of the many DSOTM threads and came across a brief conversation about the orchestral version of "Ticket To Ride" that plays oh-so faintly during the last moments of "Eclipse." I've known about this for some time now, but I can't find any reliable information about how or why that music is there in the first place. I'm hoping some knowledgeable minds can help me out. Here are my questions:

1. Does anyone know if this was intentional?
    2. Does this only exist on the CD as some people have suggested? Does it exist on original vinyl pressings?

Dodoz likes this.
  2. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I am not the expert knowledgable mind you are looking from but as I understand it, this was a mistake in the mastering of the CD. It is not present on the vinyl or the early CD's (Harvest made in Japan blackface or the non-TO black triange). Others please correct me if I am wrong.

3. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ticket_to_Ride

JediJoker likes this.
  4. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

5. Ringmaster_D

Quote:
    Ticket to Ride - An orchestral version of the song is barely audible in the fadeout at the very end of the Pink Floyd album The Dark Side of the Moon. Initially this phenomenon was considered a mistake in remastering. However it is audible on high quality vinyl pressings from the time before the CD era as well. The Beatles and Pink Floyd both recorded at Abbey Road Studios.

Yes, but if you look at the DSOTM wiki, it will tell you that it's a remastering error! I can only trust Wikipedia so much. I'd love to hear from someone who's actually heard it on the vinyl. Also, what could have caused it in the first place. I know it may be pure conjecture, but that hasn't stopped anyone around here before! I can't imagine it's leakage from another recording studio. Could it have something to do with the echo chamber? Or are The Floyd just messing with our minds, as they are wont to do?

6. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

It's on the MoFi Gold CD and on the 30th Anniversary SACD redbook stereo layer.

I have the 30th Anniversary vinyl, but my turntable is a bit too noisy for me to hear it. However, it has been noted that people have heard it for years on vinyl since its original release.

I found some old threads that I made some comments in so I'll quote them here:

http://66.39.28.179/forums/showthread.php?t=72243

This was about the CD releases. There were some posted samples to listen in that thread - don't know if the links are still good, it's an old thread.

In another thread:

http://66.39.28.179/forums/showthread.php?t=72341

I follow with this...
    Nothing was really confirmed other than Driscolls dialog in the 5.1 had the same ambient reverb that the stereo had, only without the background hum and music.

7. tootull

This says so much, I'll leave it up to you: "the very first time that the original master tape had been used for a DSOTM CD release was for the Mobile Fidelity issue."
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=5460765&postcount=79

Mistake or tape erasure issues aside - Ticket to Ride is very appropriate to me. The ride to the dark side. :shh: She don't care.

8. Ringmaster_D

Plus it was recorded at Abbey Road, right? :)

9. tootull

Right. :)

"The girl that's driving me mad is going away, yeah."

JulesRules and MarkTheShark like this.
  10. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

Yeah, but that doesn't mean anything. Ticket to Ride
    Is heard on earlier CD releases before the MoFi. Except for the one Japanese pressing where they deliberately removed the music in the way I mentioned above.

I was just listing the copies I have.

11. tootull

Sorry if you're missing my point - Ticket to Ride has always been there - I would not quote above Wikipedia if I did not agree. Since MoFi used the master I guess Ticket to Ride is on the original tape since day one.

12. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Is it far-fetched to presume that some of the album's elements, e.g. the interviews, were recorded on used tape?

vivalapsych likes this.
  13. tootull

From what I understand about Abbey Road, no.

14. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

That would make sense...weren't they done on cassette,in the hallway/canteen of Abbey Road???

15. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

:righton:Now you tell me!!!---The DSOTM CD I have is the Harvest blackface!!--And I've everytime I've played it,I've cranked it up at the end,trying to hear TTR!!!

16. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

I see. Yes, I did misunderstand. Sorry about that.

17. tootull

18. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I remember hearing "Ticket to Ride" at the end of a DSotM LP in the late '70s. Back then I couldn't identify the exact song because there was too much surface noise, but there was definitely some out-of-place-sounding orchestra stuff happening there.

JulesRules likes this.
  19. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I've emailed the question to Alan Parsons. I'll let you know if I hear back.

JulesRules likes this.
  20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Exactly where can this be heard on cd pressings? I tried to find it once, but couldn't hear it. Perhaps if I heard that it occurs at the 4:47 second mark of the final track (or whatever), I could catch it...

21. tootull

For example: It's on the SACD stereo in the right channel - clear as a bell- Turn it up, way up!

Also in my collection: Ticket To Ride can be heard on MFSL UD CD and US Shine On box-set.

22. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

It's also best to turn the bass down all the way, otherwise you'll blow your speakers trying to turn it up enough to hear the music. If you can do a complete bass cut from about 500Hz on down, do it. It starts as the last bit of dialog is spoken, but contiues after "...matter of fact, it's all dark." while the kick drum "heartbeat" is still going and is heard all the way to the fade-out.

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Is it on the 5.1 mix and old Quad mix as well?

:cool:

24. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

The 5.1 does not.

I don't know about the original quad mix.

25. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.