DCC Archive Darkside of the Moon master ruined?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pinknik, Oct 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

Man, I just read the interview with MFSL's Gregg Schnitzer and he said somebody recorded over the end of Breathe with some Supertramp. Egad! I guess this would mean that Steve couldn't use the original tape? Even if he wanted to and had the rights. Man, I hope it ain't so. Does it mean all CD issues are either comps at that point, or are from tape copies? I'd be scared to death to touch a master tape, caused I'd be scared to goof like that.

2. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

...And far away across the field
    the tolling of the iron bell
    calls the faithful to their knees
    to Take a look at my girlfriend (girlfriend)

Oh man, this isn't good :(

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I kinda doubt there's Supertramp at the end, but I do seem to recall hearing something about the master being in bad shape. Maybe everyone shouldn't have kept putting out different versions!

4. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

this smacks of urban legend to me.

later, chris

5. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

I saw that interview. It seemed like a long free-form ramble.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Urban legend.

There is a spot on the tape that is damaged, but a safety spot was edited in. It still works...

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: Steve Hoffman ]

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I think David Gilmore said in an interview that the master is a dolby encoded 15IPS'er bounced down from many overdubs. He mentioned how ironic it is that DSOTM is the #1 noted audiophile listening experience, although the recording went though lots of technical no-nos. Not sure if that's true, but interesting nonetheless.

8. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Favorite DSOTM memories (how many of you have done this?):

Just allow that explosion at the end of "On the Run" to drift off while you slowly add just a hint of volume so that the explosive beginning of "Time" causes near seizures to unsuspecting guests. Must have done that a few dozen times in the last 30 years.

Maybe i just have a cruel streak....

9. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

It's been too long for me. I miss my turntable. I miss my L100s.

10. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Weird that you mention this ... just today I was listening to this LP (original UK pressing, SO sweet), and those alarm chimes scared the BEJESUS out of my cat, who had been lulled during "Breathe" and "On the Run." He may never listen to music with me again ...

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: Jeff Partyka ]

11. Sckott

The UK and German reissues on Harvest were pressed so loudly, that when you put a D4 Discwasher brush on the record, even gently while it's spinning, you can hear the 6-7 clocks on "Time" chiming away.

No stylus on the record; just a simple cleaning brush. Eeerie high-pitched alarm sound eminating from the brush.

Mister Triscuits likes this.
  12. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for letting us know it's okay, Steve. Does that mean, you're, um, ya know, working on it right now as we speak? Oh, please, oh please. :D :D :D

13. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

14. Sckott

Could you imagine what would happen if he totals the car with you in it? Think of the headline....

One slip and down the hole we fall....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.