Darrell McCall's demos for bluesman Jimmy Reed as Willie B.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by melstapler, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    The limited edition 45 reissue released by Bear Family Records in 2017

'Bad Mouthin' by Willie B. aka Darrell McCall

During the early 1960s, singer-songwriter/sideman/session player Darrell McCall recorded a handful of songs as demos for Jimmy Reed. These recordings were released in 1961 under the pseudonym "Willie B."
    [​IMG]
    Downtown Nashville one night, Darrell McCall met blues legend Jimmy Reed. He got to jam with Reed at one of many sessions he enjoyed with other musicians at apartments and even at Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge.
    [​IMG]
    Reed drove from place to place, pulling a trailer. He’d park it in downtown Nashville, get drunk, sometimes wind up in jail while the cops towed away the car and trailer. “I wrote Bad Mouthin’ and This I Gotta See, and I called Jim, Wayne and Charlie, and demoed it to take down to Jimmy Reed. Sadly, the stars failed to align and Reed never recorded the songs from McCall's batch of demos.
    [​IMG]
    His first full LP entitled "Meet Darrell McCall" was released on the Wayside label in 1968.

2. melstapler

McCall was born in New Jasper, Ohio on April 30, 1940 and was a boyhood friend of fellow future musician Johnny Paycheck. At the age of 15, McCall landed a job as a disc jockey at a local Ohio radio show on Saturday mornings. During this time, he also performed as a musician at dances and other events. After graduating from high school, McCall joined the military and was stationed in Kentucky. In addition to road work, he sang backup on studio sessions and made his first recordings for Starday. Manager Hubert Long landed a deal with Capitol in 1961, and another with Philips (the European company which owned Mercury).
    [​IMG]
    Darrell McCall playing bass for Ray Price
    [​IMG]
    The Young Brothers: Johnny Paycheck and Darrell McCall

In 1958, after finishing his duty in the army, McCall moved to Nashville with Johnny Paycheck to record as a duo. Darrel McCall and Johnny Paycheck originally billed themselves as the "Young Brothers." Despite their relative lack of success, McCall found work with George Jones, Ray Price, Faron Young and Hank Williams Jr.

[​IMG]
    McCall during his years with Ray Price as a member of the Cherokee Cowboys
    [​IMG]
    In 1962, McCall signed with Phillips Records as a country music singer. He released the hit "A Stranger Was Here," which peaked at No. 17. Later in the year he performed the theme for the film "Hud," which starred actor Paul Newman.

The theme song from the Paul Newman film "Hud"

McCall decided to begin an acting career in 1965. He appeared in numerous films including Nashville Rebel, Road to Nashville and What Am I Bid. During his acting career, McCall also traveled to the American Southwest to perform in rodeos as a cowboy. In 1968, he returned to recording and signed with "Wayside Records," releasing four singles.
    [​IMG]
    Darrell McCall singing with Faron Young

In 1970, McCall released his first album, "Meet Darrell McCall" for Mercury Records. Hank Williams Jr. recorded a song written by McCall in 1971 entitled 'Eleven Roses,' which became a No. 1 hit for Williams and resulted in a songwriting contract offer from Tree International Publishing and McCall accepted the offer. In 1974, he signed with Atlantic Records, releasing the single "There's Still a Lot of Love in San Antone." The following year he left Atlantic and signed with Columbia Records. During this period his popularity grew due to the Outlaw Country sound being pushed into the mainstream. With Columbia he recorded the hit duet "Lily Dale" with Willie Nelson, which became a top 40 hit and was awarded the "Best Duet of 1977" by Cash Box Magazine.

3. melstapler

[​IMG]
    'Hud' as recorded by Darrell McCall

Darrell McCall with Roy Drusky performing on 'I'll Cry Again' from 1962

The Killer likes this.
  4. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Fresh faced kid on that BF disc. The photo of McCall with our old friend Johnny Paycheck is great, couple of sharp dressed dudes!

Spazaru and melstapler like this.
  5. melstapler

[​IMG]
    Darrell McCall is the Chuck Norris of traditional country music

'I'll Break Out Again Tonight' was also recorded by Merle Haggard
    [​IMG]
    "Reunion" with The Tennessee Volunteers is an enjoyable album from 1986

Since the 1980s, Darrell McCall has remained active as a performer and recording artist. McCall continues to release enjoyable new recordings and is currently signed to the label Heart of Texas Records, which specializes in quality traditional country music.

6. melstapler

Darrell McCall performing 'Dreams Of A Dreamer'

7. melstapler

Darrell McCall performing 'I Can Take His Baby Away' in 1962

Spazaru likes this.
  8. melstapler

Darrell McCall (far left in photo) performing 'Above And Beyond' with Buck Owens with an introduction from Faron Young

Spazaru likes this.
  9. melstapler

'Excuse Me (I Think I've Got A Heartache)" as recorded by Darrell McCall from 1960

Spazaru likes this.
  10. melstapler

'Lily Dale' was a duet released by Willie Nelson and Darrell McCall in 1976

Spazaru likes this.
  11. melstapler

Darrell McCall performing a heartfelt version of 'The Other Woman' at the Ray Price tribute

Spazaru likes this.
  12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Darrell is still in strong voice to this day.

melstapler likes this.
  13. bobc

bobc Bluesman

This guy is great and I've never heard of him. Seems like a very clever dude who could "do" Jimmy Reed, Buddy Holly and many others (including himself), but couldn't get a big hit. So he has remained sane and has produced a lot of good music. Thanks, guys, I'll keep looking out for him. Darrell McCall - it's in the notebook.

melstapler likes this.
  14. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Rarely do I buy singles, but I've considered getting this one. Some of the most authentic blues by a non-blues artist. The B-side, for those interested:

bobc and melstapler like this.
  15. melstapler

Darrell McCall with wife Mona McCall
    [​IMG]
    Mona McCall was born in Canada . She moved to Nashville, worked on the Buck Owens show and was also a drummer for the Audrey Williams band. It was in Nashville where Mona met Darrell McCall. The couple married and Mona helped to raise both their children before going back out on the road with her husband.

'Secret Memories' is a duet featuring Darrell and Mona McCall

Spazaru likes this.
  16. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

All these Darrell posts are awesome melstapler!

Kind of funny story. In 2005 I was working at the Country Music Hall of Fame. Darrell McCall came to play the Ernest Tubb Midnight Jamboree. It was cool because he had Justin Trevino on bass (another classic country genius; if you haven't heard him, check him out) and Weldon Myrick on steel. It was a fun show with Darrell and Justin trading vocals and even a guest spot by Mona.

The next week I was working and Charlie Louvin (who hung out at the hall a LOT) came by. I asked him what he thought of Darrell and he said, "He thinks he's been reincarnated as Ray Price and Ray isn't even dead!" Charlie also hated Buck Owens; I think he pretty much hated everyone. LOL

Anyway, I can't get enough early Ray Price so if Darrell did kind of do that style, I mean he obviously worked with Ray and comes by it honestly, so it's fine with me, if not Charlie!

melstapler likes this.
  17. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

18. melstapler

Darrell McCall performing a live version of the song 'Helpless' with backing vocals from his son Cody McCall

19. melstapler

Darrell McCall with Margie Singleton
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Darrell and Margie today

20. melstapler

Darrell McCall performing 'Way To Survive' with the great Buddy Emmons on pedal steel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.