Dated synth? How come they are dated but not electric guitars?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crimson jon, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

It will for cheesy 80's-90's retropop 10 years from now.

2. zen

zen Senior Member

:thumbsup:

Gregster likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The problem the DX7 had was that it was a nightmare to program, with a tiny little display and only a few buttons. The pre-programmed sounds were developed using an external computer which was never available outside Japan. So all most people ever heard were sounds developed for Japanese tastes, and hardly anyone ever created their own sounds for it.

Kingsley Fats and notesofachord like this.
  4. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Certain guitar styles, like Van Halen-type "shredding" sound extremely dated to me, and did almost from the outset.

lucan_g and Kingsley Fats like this.
  5. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

It's only particular, briefly popular, synth sounds that seem dated. And there are many guitar tones that sound similarly dated (or "retro"). If you heard someone playing 12-string with a Roger McGuinn sound or some fuzz guitar like Blue Cheer -- sounds that were common enough in the era -- it would be an obvious signal that the band is going for a vintage sound.

Crimson jon likes this.
  6. jneilnyc

jneilnyc Free Range Responder

Recapping...

Eno on his (sometime) favorite synth:
    “I don’t have a lot of instruments. I have a DX7 which is my main instrument. I still keep discovering great new things about it. I’m not really interested in all the options that an instrument can give you, and I know now that they are pretty much infinite. What I’m interested in is the kind of rapport I have with an instrument, and that takes a long time to develop. You wouldn’t just pick up a guitar and expect to immediately understand the thing.

Well it’s like that with synthesizers. think. I’ve got two others as well — I’ve got a Prophet VS and an M1. I’m not really interested in them because I keep going back to the DX. It’s just like a guitar player who has a ‘57 Strat, it always thrills you.”

sunspot42 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Didn't the TV show Humans let us know the dangers of dating Synths?

[​IMG]

Crimson jon likes this.
  8. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is it just me or was season 2 weak compared to one?

9. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Its become a tribute show since ..... left the cast.

10. Chris DeVoe

I've only watched season 2 once, and plan to binge it before season 3. But I do find it interesting that none of the people involved in making Synths in that world ever read Asimov.

11. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

Synthesizers just take so much abuse from people and it's completely unfair

Tokyo Ghost and Crimson jon like this.
  12. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Guitar can sound terrible. Acoustic stuff generally no, but like a piano it's timeless. Whereas Tony Banks synths say, in 1978 sound good, in 1986 they sound dated. Or hell even guitar tones in the 80s got really ****ty. I don't think it's always specific to the decade however a lot of musicians lost their taste in the digital era, but then you have guys like R.E.M who toss that out the window.

13. Kingsley Fats

For me it is a reciprocal arrangement.

14. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I think saying something sounds "dated" is a cop out

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  15. Bruno Primas

Bruno Primas Forum Resident

Tony Banks.....

16. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Dated synth?

Check this out!

notesofachord and Crimson jon like this.
  17. dammitjanet

dammitjanet Fun, natural fun

I used to hate 80s synths but after hearing enough contemporary synth-pop I finally like them. Maybe it's the exposure effect - the more you hear something the more you like it. Or it's been out of style and gone for long enough that now it's cool again, like vintage clothing. Now I love 80s music. It does't sound dated to me so much as mannered or stylized in a certain way (or maybe that still means dated but it's not a bad thing).

My theory is that guitars sound less dated in general because they have been used for a longer period of time and consistently in rock and pop music, whereas new synth sounds were used and then replaced with newer models, so you can more easily pin down the sound to a date. Beyond that I think a good song is a good song, and if it's catchy enough and played regularly it can better withstand the test of time.

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. Kingsley Fats

Chuck Berry's guitar is immediately identifiable as from the 50's.
    Thus it is dated.
    Is this a bad thing ?

19. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Whahh??

With a hand-held synth, why not??

Nope. His teeth would get caught between the black and white keys.

If he had one, sure!

Yes.

Probably "cooler", though I don't like them as much.

Yes, and with equal or greater moisture!

Wirelessly, yes.

I don't see why not. It's about the notes as much about anything else.

With the miracle of batteries, yes.

With the miracle of batteries, yes.

Yes! Maybe $20.

Probably not. Take this response as a prime example.

20. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Wow, Korg keeps pumping them out! A 16-voice, three oscillator per voice analog/FM/wavetable hybrid machine? Dang. Impressive.

It's the FM/wavetable part that has me interested. For basic, great analog polyphony I'm good (Juno 60), but I've been interested in getting into FM synthesis.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  21. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Synths are based on technology, with no organic pieces, therefore constantly updating and changing

Vibrating strings playable on a portable instrument are organic and you'll never replace organic strings vibrating

22. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Some people do need serious guidance in matters involving dated synths.

23. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

When you don't like a certain sound, it's "dated".

When you like it, it's "classic" or whatever....just like everything else on here that gets argued about, like underrated/overrated, etc.

It's all personal opinion. Some of the posts here state, "this is dated, that is dated", as if it is some universally agreed upon truth.

Chris DeVoe and Rhapsody In Red like this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Personally, the synth sounds that have aged the best are the ones that aren't trying to sound like acoustic instruments of any sort. In computer graphics, there is a concept called the "uncanny valley" - from Wikipedia: "The concept of the uncanny valley suggests that humanoid objects which appear almost, but not exactly, like real human beings elicit uncanny, or strangely familiar, feelings of eeriness and revulsion in observers." A synth patch that tries to emulate an oboe will not be able to do so perfectly, and the fact that is almost, but not quite, sound like an oboe will be annoying.

Wendy Carlos is an exception because she was trying to develop a better oboe, one with greater expressive possibilities.

Brian Lux likes this.
  25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yup. In spite of all the whiz bang sampling technology, electronic music seems to have kind of stagnated. I'm surprised more stuff hasn't been done with complicated, computer modeled sounds. True synthetic instruments that sound like an acoustic instrument, but no acoustic instrument you could actually build.

Brian Lux and Chris DeVoe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.