dating my Ella & Louis pressing...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tweed_champ, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tweed_champ

tweed_champ Active Member Thread Starter

One of my very favourite albums. I've never been able to figure out the date on it though, is it a second/later pressing? I could never figure out if this red/gold label was before the black/silver label. My label is the same as this one:
    ella-and-louis.jpg

Mono, MG V-4003.
    Deadwax:
    50078 MGV 4003-A
    50079 MGV 4003B

2. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

3. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

That's incorrect, the red/orange label with yellow "T" is the first pressing. Machine stamped matrix right? If you can find one in good shape it is much better sounding that the later black label with hand-etched matrices.

4. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Does your copy say "MGM Records - A Division of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Inc" on the bottom perimeter of the label?

5. Supafly

Supafly Forum Resident

My black label looks dead mint and plays terrible.

6. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I'll check the rim print when I get home.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That's a FIRST printing. If you have machine numbers it was cut at Radio Recorders. If you have hand written numbers it was mastered at Ami Handni Mastering on Yucca. How does it sound? Might sound OK but ya never know.

AaronW likes this.
  8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It LOOKS like a reissue. I have an original with the deep groove on the label. Is that what you have?

9. Steve Hoffman

They reissued it with that label? Didn't know that. For the audiophile market? Well, can't tell from the pic. If so, all bets are off!

10. serge

serge Forum Resident

looks like a first pressing to me...

11. Singularity

Singularity Forum Resident

I have a yellow/orange deep groove as well.

40003A
    Side A: 500 78 MGV XXXX (letters and or #'s crossed out)
    4003B
    Side B: 500 78 MGV 2 02 XB (letters and/or #'s crossed out)

Also has an "A" and another letter I can't make out on side A and what looks like an L on side B. Have to dig out the magnifying glass to get a better look. Anyhow, from everything I've read the yellow/orange "Deep Groove" is the 1st pressing. Also the cover has a white border that surrounds the the artwork on 3 sides. Don't know if they reissued it that way again.

12. Singularity

Singularity Forum Resident

I should also mention mine sounds really good. Very close to the sound quality of the new Analog Productions 45 rpm Verve pressing.

13. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Nope, this label (the first Ella & Louis pressing) was gone by the time MGM bought Verve:
    [​IMG]

14. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

This French Barclay issue was pressed from original US Verve parts and sounds great, interesting to note the photo used was shot right before or after the standard Verve image:
    [​IMG]
    Verve for comparison:
    [​IMG]

15. tweed_champ

tweed_champ Active Member Thread Starter

That's the one! Machine stamped as well, with some numbers crossed out under the "4000" on the deadwax. It sounds great - minimal clicks & pops, and after I flipped the mono switch on my amp it (mostly) played nice and quiet.
    Thanks for the help everybody! This made my night. My favourite jazz album, and I had an original pressing without realizing it. Time to play it again :D

16. Steve Hoffman

Well good. Glad you're happy. Machine numbers on an old Verve LP are good. It means the parts were cut from actual masters at Radio Recorders.

17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yellow/Orange was the first Verve label for this LP. Machine Stamped deadwax what you want. Radio Recorders mastering the best of the originals. The Ami Hadani hand lettered is still very good, but cut from a dub tape.

18. Steve Hoffman

No, Ami Hadani masterings are from original tapes, not dubs.

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification, Steve. Ami Hadani is one of my favorite mastering engineers in the day.

20. Steve Hoffman

He actually worked at Radio Recorders before starting his own mastering studio up the street, then he founded TTG with his friend from RR..

Wasn't he a general in the Israeli air force as well?

Something of a mystery about the guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.