Dave Brubeck Quartet "Time OutTakes" - recordings from Time Out sessions coming Dec. 4

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenobs70, Sep 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thenobs70

thenobs70 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hear Dave Brubeck's Previously Unreleased Early Version of 'Take Five'

IMWAN • [2020-12-04] The Dave Brubeck Quartet "Time OutTakes" previously unreleased recordings from Time Out sessions (Brubeck)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JVKGPZQ

[​IMG]

2. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Well, this should be interesting, but I'm not sure why this sample on youtube is in mono.
    This is one of my all time favorite stereo LP's, and I would love to hear these outtakes in stereo.
    (Personal preference).

3. thenobs70

In the article, it says these outtakes were recently found during research for Philip Clark's book "A Life In Time". My guess is they're not masters and mono is the best they could do. But that's all speculation on my part.

4. What's wrong with mono? I have a handful of Brubeck monos and there's no way the stereo versions could sound any better.

ODIrony likes this.
  5. thenobs70

Nothing wrong with mono. I was just responding to the user above me who wished to hear the outtakes in stereo.

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

If anything, that’s the Album Title of the Year.

7. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Met Brubeck back in 2005 at the JVC Jazz Festival. Incredibly nice guy. Had just put out a new album then (London sharp, london flat, I think...). Was so enthused to be performing. I've always liked Take Five, just fascinated by unconventional meters. This will appeal to anyone who has worn out the original recording.

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Although it's in mono, it sounds like it's a bit 'enhanced'. Listening via headphones the music is placed slightly to the left side.
    Nonetheless, this is a surprise announcement! Love the original album. So I'm sure I gonna buy this, too.

9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Outtakes never are masters. I think the reason why this is in mono is it might be coming from rough mixed reference tapes.
    Compared to what was found in Coltrane's home (Both Directions At Once and Blue World).

thenobs70 likes this.
  10. thenobs70

Ah, that makes sense.

11. thenobs70

andrewskyDE likes this.
  12. thenobs70

New Dave Brubeck Releases in Fall Pipeline - JazzTimes

andrewskyDE and grimble like this.
  13. thenobs70

14. may1620

may1620 Forum Resident

I'm not sure I quite understand this. These would have been recorded as multitracks, yes? So wouldn't they have access to those tracks in the archive so that if necessary they could be mixed to stereo specifically for this release? Or are you saying that alternate multitrack recordings like this would be mixed down to mono and only THAT saved? While the multitracks themselves were discarded? What would that accomplish? This was 1959, so a good couple of years into Columbia/Brubeck's stereo era. Many of the DBQ LPs came up with a bonus (stereo) track or two when making the transition to CD, but not Time Out.

Dennis Metz and crispi like this.
  15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

What I meant is maybe only these mono mixes survived over the time because they might've been in private hands. Studios not always collect(ed) outtakes...

[Edit:] To compare, the material of Coltrane's Both Directions At Once is sourced from mono 'reference' tapes that Coltrane himself took home and those were just re-found in the family's collection.
    The original session tapes of that stuff don't exist anymore.

[Edit #2:] Now this is embarrasing. I didn't hear the 'Blue Rondo' outtake last time. Didn't know this is in stereo.^^

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Spencer R likes this.
  16. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

andrewskyDE likes this.
  17. may1620

may1620 Forum Resident

On a (hopefully) related note, Dave's newest (last week) release "Lullabies" is listed as stereo. It is solo piano, recorded at home I believe. I don't have a lot of experience judging mono/stereo on a single instrument recording, but perhaps there is a tradition of splitting left and right hand for pianists - and maybe some other tricks as well? The record does sound very nice to me.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  18. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I preordered the CD of TIME OUTTAKES. Very excited these historic tapes were even located and are being commercially released - mono vs stereo issues are strictly secondary!

19. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Can’t wait to hear the banter

20. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

Listened to the album stream on Amazon in 24/48 HD this morning.
    Delightful, all I could have hoped for.

21. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Strange that currently there are no copies available on Amazon.com. I just ordered it from Deep Discount ($11.99 new-release price) along with Lullabies.

Usually, I can't tell much difference with jazz alternate takes, but I guess "Blue Rondo" is so burned into my brain that that wasn't the case here. :)

22. may1620

may1620 Forum Resident

I actually pre-ordered from Amazon back in September and they still are not shipping to me - they are estimating Dec 18th. Unusual.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  23. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

picked up a copy of this last night - it's mastered pretty loud, but it's not ear-fatiguing or anything.

LOVING the music itself so far; would love for this to be the first of many such releases - these alternate takes are great :)

smitquest

24. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

also, Amazon indicates the vinyl won’t be released until February

backeast likes this.
  25. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Amazon still doesn't have any CDs in stock, and the few third-party copies available are steep. Glad I ordered from Deep Discount for $11.99. Mail's slow these days--I should get my copy Monday. Looking forward to hearing (most of) Time Out in a different way.

BTW, Deep Discount still has the CD for $11.99, though it's on backorder. Worth a shot--it's been my experience that DD eventually fulfills their backorders.

Rockford & Roll and ARK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.