Dave Clark Five - The Music,Records,Performances,Film- ONLY !

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Billo, Sep 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billo

Billo Forum Resident Thread Starter

With Thanks to Steve Hoffman, in this thread I am starting to look at and discuss ONLY the music, songs, record/CD releases, band performances and the public activities of the group in general re making a film and TV special etc

I would respectfully ask anyone posting on this new thread to keep that in mind and please ONLY look at / discuss the group's public career re those aspects and NOT begin talking (speculating) about any 'behind the scenes' aspects etc - Thank you

Let's just look at The DC5 alone on this thread

The group as a public concern re a hit making band who rose to fame in the UK in 1963, shortly after in the USA as well plus worldwide and made some really memorable records up to 1970

The DC5 were first and foremost a singles orientated group designed to put pop records into the charts - pure and simple as that, they did make some decent LPs too but these were really extentions to the singles largely with the occasional foray into instrumentals - both rock and roll based and mood music style - and as they went on some more adventurous styled tracks tho' they never became a proper 'albums band' and even when displaying a more adventurous side to their music kept it lyrically quite narrow re love songs and as author Alan Clayson once perfectly put it their songs were firmly re;
    'Boy-meets-girl-where-the-action-is' !

but that limitation does not mean they made poor records, in fact the songs, band performances and production were normally of a high standard that still stands up today as excellent examples of sixties Beat group music

For that perhaps rather narrow lyrical focus plus a rather 'clean cut' smart group image that remained maybe a few years too long ( they only really updated their look circa 1969) as music went on through considerable style changes over the sixties they drew some critical if not 'flak' rather indifference perhaps as they did not follow the path most groups did after 1966 re making more acclaimed albums or besides one or two songs ever venturing into psychedelia etc

- in fact DC5 UK albums which were released in the UK in mono only format even over 1967-68 remained essentially gatherings of tracks cut over some period of time and on singles they did several ballad singles closer in style to Englebert's 'The Last Waltz' than what most pop bands were doing then... - but they had success in the UK with these and returned to a rock and roll style after that over 1969-70 with further UK chart singles success up to their retirement from the scene in 1970

Featuring Mike Smith as lead vocalist / keyboardist and occasional guitarist - a figure with a tremendous voice and cheerful personality, Mike played a distinctive vox organ and was a skilled pianist

Lenny Davidson - the talented electric and acoustic guitarist who also had a fine lead singer voice and took quite a number of of co-leads with Mike underpinning Mike's powering voice

Denis Payton - a gifted multi talented sax/harmonica/guitar player who also had a fine singing voice, Denny gave them a wider instrumental base than many sixties guitar dominated bands had

Rick Huxley - the bass player, backing vocalist who looked like the 'character' in the group !

and of course their leader
    Dave Clark - mentor, manager, group spokesman, and from early on their record producer (given virtually a 'free hand' at Lansdowne studios by EMI which in 1963 was unheard of !) working with recording engineer Adrian Kerridge, Dave played drums live and on some recordings when not required in the producer's chair in the recording booth

it is known that ace session drummer Bobby Graham was employed tho' such was the norm for quite a number of groups and with Dave of course acting as producer

They wrote their own material with songwriter Ron Ryan playing a key role too with a distinctive style that was separate to both Merseybeat and the R'n'B based groups - often a guitar might not take the solo as vox organ, piano, sax, harmonica were well featured as lead instruments too

for all their dance hall styled early energy there was a subtle side to the band both instrumentally and vocally - four or five part close harmonised singing was not unusual on a DC5 track

The DC5 career really splits into three main periods over the sixties;

first as a hit making group from 1963 to 1965 in their UK homeland

then from 1964 over 1967 they had great success stateside being one of the best received 'British Invasion' outfits, tho' after 1966 when they had an American no.1 single with one top ten hit in 1967 however they faded from the American charts rather quickly thereafter

...only to return after a comparatively bland year of 1966 at home in the UK singles chart to the UK singles charts with a no.2 hit in 1967 then top ten hits each year up to and including 1970

Despite a lean year in 1966 during which they were absent from home over in the USA a fair amount of time they nevertheless notched up some 22 UK chart hits between 1963 and 1970 (matching both Beatles and Hollies for number of 'official' chart placed UK singles up to 1970) plus a chart EP, and had overall some 27 USA singles chart placings on Billboard/Cashbox

The band were very popular during the sixties with some 15 appearances on 'The Ed Sullivan Show', plus three repeated performances, did two Royal Command performances in London both 1965 and 1966, made a critically praised film 'Catch Us if You Can' / 'Having A Wild Weekend' (USA title) directed by John Boorman in 1965 and later a TV critic praised TV special 'Hold On It's The Dave Clark Five' in 1968

I will look at the singles and albums later - yes I know I haven't mentioned 'Glad All Over' yet ! - meantime if anyone would like to discuss the music, film, TV special and notable band performances please do...

but PLEASE let's keep it to looking at the band's released works and performances, film, TV special etc

Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2008 The Dave Clark Five are worth their place in musical history for the many fine records they made in the sixties so let's have a proper appreciation of them on this forum

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    DK Pete, Hep Alien, GerryO and 5 others like this.
  2. Billo

The DC 5 released their first single in August 1962, the instrumental Chaquita on Ember records, then after two singles on Piccadilly and 'The Mulberry Bush' on Columbia they scored their first UK chart hit with a cover of 'Do You Love Me' - it made no.30 and was one of three covers of the song then in the UK charts

However their big chart breakthrough was of course 'Glad All Over' released in November 1963 which shot to no.1 in the UK and no. 6 Billboard / no.5 Cashbox in the USA making their key breakthrough stateside

GAO while a famous track also boasted an equally fine B side in 'I Know You' which in retrospect might have been worth issuing as a follow up A side itself

Mike takes the 'growling' moody lead vocal but note the 'call and response' vocal parts featured and that on the bridge sections the lead vocal is shared between Mike and Lenny alternating on the lines; 'You think you're the big one...' - with the group singing featured lead harmonies on the rest of the song too

Lenny's guitar hook on intro and later is crucial however the powerful drumming, Mike's driving vox organ plus Denny's sax work are equally to the fore and overall the main featured instruments here, the production is spot on with fine use of echo in places

it's a fav DC5 track of mine

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  3. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Glad All Over is my favorite DC5 song, but I enjoy all their hits and many album cuts. Having a Wild Weekend is my favorite LP.

DK Pete and 905 like this.
  4. Billo

They proved to be no 'one big hit wonders' when Bits and Pieces stomped up to no.2 in the UK in February 1964 - terrifying the UK Mecca ballroom chain who feared for their ballroom floors !

it also made no.4 in both main USA charts in April 1964

this BBC 'Top of The Pops' performance is of course mimed to the record as was the norm on TOTP and for most sixties TV shows, certainly in the UK

the rather square stage uniforms, clean cut image, and 'rockin' about looks so dated now of course - but note that here we can see that Lenny is singing co-lead with Mike on much of this driving hit (the others are singing along here - even Denny when it's only Mike's voice heard !) - however on the recording while the others join in with responses it's Mike then Mike and Lenny who take the featured lead vocal parts on the verses

5. Billo

Their third UK top ten hit in 1964 was 'Can't You See That She's Mine' which made no.10 in May 1964 - the single differed slightly from the LP version which kicked off their first UK album

the equally strong if not stronger 'B' side was the classic 'Because' - criminally wasted as just a UK 'B' side and the fav DC5 track of some, this duly became the 'A' side in the USA making no.3 on Billboard in August 1964 after CYSTSM made no.4 earlier in June with a different USA 'B' side 'No Time To Lose' taken from the USA album 'Glad All Over'

covered by both The Supremes and years later Julian Lennon this should have been a UK 'A' side surely ?

Mike is featured lead but the song is sung in tight harmony

6. Darryl D.

Darryl D. Forum Resident

RE: I Know You

Great song! Thank you for introducing it to me. I know very little about the DC5 beyond their hit singles, so I'm looking forward to this thread.

Brettlowden likes this.
  7. Billo

the next four UK singles while charting didn't score so well, none made the UK top twenty but each were interesting

'Thinking of You Baby' made no.26 in August 1964, it was a driving if a little low key number that again was sung in full harmony while the 'B' side 'Whenever You're Around' was a more romantic harmony showcase number

next up came the powering 'Any Way You Want it' that made no.25 in the UK in October 1964 - this was an unstoppable number again blasted out at full power and sung in full harmony with good use of echo again - made no.14 / no,9 in the USA in November 1964

8. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

saw them in 65. quite an experience.

[​IMG]

9. Billo

British and American singles releases became rather overlapping and indeed differing from around this point - while AWYWI was followed by 'Everybody Knows (I Still Love You)' in 1965 in the UK across the pond it was the reverse !

a further confusion later was that The DC5 in 1967 had a big UK no.2 hit with another song titled 'Everbody Knows' !

so to get it straight EK (ISLY) 1965 is best including the bracketed part of the title

it made a disappointing no.37 in January 1965 in the UK but no.15 / no.22 in the USA earlier in October 1964

it's a quite fascinating number tho' again sung in full group harmony and notable for the sudden and unexpected changes of tempo and for a 1964 ( or even 65) recording was quite adventurous re it's structure

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

A collection of their singles from '64-'68 or so is essential for any fan of the British Invasion. History of the Dave Clark Five does the job rather well.

I also love Having A Wild Weekend, the surprisingly arty New Wave-influenced film by John Boorman ... not an imitation Hard Day's Night by any stretch. More a commentary on media manipulation. In it, Dave and the boys play stunt men, not a band.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

There is a copy of Dave Clark Five Greatest Hits sitting on a thrift store shelf for 25 cents near me. Nobody seems to want it. Discogs has over a thousand owning it and around ten wanting it. Doesn’t seem they get any respect now a days.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  12. johnborzatti

johnborzatti Senior Member

I really liked Wild Weekend! I remember catching it on TV in the late 60's and liking it just because a band was in the film. In the opening sequence it could have been a band house situation, mindful of The Monkees to me.

Having A Wild Weekend (1965) -- (Movie Clip) Catch Us If You Can

Then there is the ride into work (as stuntmen) most of this clip focuses on the "Meat For Go" ad campaign they are stuntmen for:

Having A Wild Weekend (1965) -- (Movie Clip) Meat For Go

You will get a 30 sec promo trailer.

Hep Alien and bhazen like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

beautiful song! I've loved it since the day I first heard it...

14. Billo

Besides the hit singles they released their first UK album 'A Session With The Dave Clark Five' in mono only on EMI / Columbia in 1964, it made no.3 in the UK

In addition to the album version of 'Can't You See That She's Mine' there were typical powering DC5 numbers like 'I Need You, I Love You', 'I Love You No More', 'Funny', 'She's All Mine' and a few covers

...plus three instrumentals in differing styles plus a more subtle track 'Can I Trust You'

an edited version of this debut UK set formed their second USA album 'The Dave Clark Five Return' issued on Epic records which followed the 'Glad All Over' USA album that gathered together singles, B sides etc

Hep Alien and tages like this.
  15. Billo

their cover of 'On Broadway' was one of my fav tracks on 'Session With...' where Mike sang weaving in and out of his deeper more soulful range - moving up into his falsetto range at the conclusion and Lenny did the repeated calls of the song title throughout being joined towards the end probably by Dave and Denny

Mike's vox organ and Lenny's guitar shine here plus a cool sax by Denny on the solo

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Hep Alien, bluenosens and Hurakan like this.
  16. Billo

Like Manfred Mann The DC5 always enjoyed recording instrumentals throughout their career and included three on the first UK album - and on 'Return' in the USA

Their driving version of Link Wray's 'Rumble' featured Lenny's guitar, Dennis Sax, and Mike's vox organ jamming away in tight unison

Hep Alien and EdogawaRampo like this.
  17. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

for me they were very hit and miss but I like them, Catch Us If You Can, Bits...etc. made for terrific singles but I feel they were horribly produced, here in the US their records were compressed beyond belief and could sound almost like one 2 minute screech:)
    Tracking down UK pressings were better but for me anyway, the echo and ultra drum forefront are wearing.
    They really had some great moments but were not allowed to really shine individually, lack of really defined personality becomes forgettable for many.
    The legacy was handled poorly....

18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I always found it interesting that the debut album experiments with a number of styles, such as the prominent use of female backup singers. Clearly a group in search of a trademark sound,which it clearly found in tracks like Glad All Over and Bits and Pieces. Weekend in London is my favorite group album. Still very short, but all strong songs and no filler instrumentals. Also, my favorite of the group's album covers, in part because Dave's image is no larger than those of the other members. Of course, the cover image of the group in performance happens to spell out his name twice, undoubtedly just a coincidence.
    Sounds great in mono!

19. Cynthia Tebbetts

Cynthia Tebbetts Forum Resident

I love a lot of the hits but my two favorites are the album tracks "Say You Want Me" and "I'm Thinking"

20. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Never heard it until the CD era. Now is one of my favorites

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. Billo

while in total contrast to 'Rumble' on the 'Session With...' album they featured a 'mood music' style instrumental complete with vocal choir and strings accompanying this guitar led number that sees Lenny in a rather 'Duane Eddy' style as on his 'Twangy Guitar Silky Strings' album

this item 'Theme Without A Name' would not be their last such style instrumental and is completely differing to their powering pop style of most of their beat boom era hits

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. Billo

March 1965 saw them back in the UK top thirty at no.24 and in April 1965 at no.23 / no.15 in the USA - again with singles released in a differing UK /USA order as they got back to their rockin sound with a hit update of 'Reelin and Rockin' featuring Mike on lead vocal and in his element !

fine piano work by Mike and driving sax by Denis it featured 'Little Bitty Pretty One' as the 'B' side in the UK but 'I'm Thinking' was the USA 'B' Side taken from 'Weekend in London' LP

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. Billo

Released in May 1965 in the UK and making no.16 at home, but earlier before 'Reelin' in the USA making no.14. / no.13 in February 1965 their next hit single was 'Come Home' which had 'Your Turn To Cry' as 'B' side on both releases

it was an unusual slower indeed rather sparse sounding number dominated by bass guitar / percussion early on with vox organ and guitar plus drums gradually adding to the instrumentation

Mike sang it really well with vocal support from Lenny and the others

it probably appealed to service personnel and their loved ones back at home particularly those in the Royal Navy and U.S. Navy who were away from home for long periods, tho' all service personnel could identify with it

- and convicts too no doubt !!

24. Billo

Actually re-checking my singles it seems wiki have their details WRONG - surprise !

the UK 'B' side to 'Come Home' was not as the USA release but 'Mighty Good Loving' which in the USA was a track on the album 'Weekend in London'

Again this was a very strong song rather wasted in the UK as only a 'B' side

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

When I started getting serious about collecting records I mentioned to a lot of people I know that are a decade or so older than me. Guys in their 70s. One was my old high school teacher. I told him I'd love to take a look at his collection (it had been sitting in a closet for years and years he said) and his response was, "oh you wouldn't care for anything I've got. Old Dave Clark 5". My eyes lit up and I exclaimed!, "Yes, Yes that is exactly what I'm looking for!" While he told me he'd get them out and let me take a look, I still haven't seen them. I'll remind him every so often and one day he'll tell me to come over and take a look. I'm really looking forward to that day, hoping to get several Dave Clark 5 and other British Invasion records in good condition!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.