Dave Clark Five - What Are The Best Volumes? The Complete History Or Complete?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BASEMENT TAPES, Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BASEMENT TAPES

BASEMENT TAPES Forum Resident Thread Starter

There are 2 known Dave Clark Five Volume Sets, question is which one is best in audio quality, accurate & gives complete tracks.
    Is it The Complete History of The Dave Clark Five (7 discs) or The Complete Dave Clark Five (10 discs) ??

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I've got a seven CD set I've had for years which sounds fine to me although presumably many tracks are from vinyl as they are unofficial. What would a 10 disc set include that this doesn't? Also the Japanese Oldays reissue label has recently released the first two U.K. albums and the first three U.S. as mini LPs all of which sound ok to me. Catch Us If You Can appears to be already out of print and is getting hard to find. This contains a different, shorter edit of I Can't Stand It.

melstapler likes this.
  3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

if i am not mistaken there has been only 1 official release by the dave clark five....a 2 CD set that is long OOP.

fenderesq, melstapler, Dave and 5 others like this.
  4. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

And in the U.K. a single hits CD

5. Dave's waiting for an upturn in the market before releasing any of the rest of the band's material.

Best Wishes,
    David

ricks, melstapler, stereoptic and 5 others like this.
  6. Who is it?

Hep Alien and MarkTheShark like this.
  7. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

:laugh: :biglaugh: :laugh:

I feel quite lucky that I happened to snag the Hollywood Records (IINM) double CD during the short time it was in release.

8. You said it. It’s borders on criminal that this is really all that there is/was for the best of DC5.

jparis51 likes this.
  9. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Harold Bronson devoted a whole chapter in his new book about what a debacle the Hollywood Records release was.

10. What was the essence of the debacle, do you know?

11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Tmk the "Gkad All Over Again" 1CD was an official EMI release.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  12. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Greed and shortsightedness.

13. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

14. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Bootleg alert

15. From what I've read about the subject, quite a few labels have offered Dave Clark the opportunity to reissue his group's catalogue since the beginning of the CD era, but he's seemingly always waiting for the right moment to strike - as if there's anyone left outside places such as this who can remember anything except the very biggest DC5 hits! His reluctance to make a move has even led to the Time musical going out of print, though he was able to be somehow appeased when it came to close friend Freddie Mercury's contributions to that project, which have been reissued in various forms digitally. By contrast, his decision to buy up so many episodes of Ready, Steady, Go! has proved quite lucrative, yet it's sad to think just how much damage Dave has now done to his own legacy. These guys had every right to be regarded equals of their more well-known contemporaries, and now he's left wishing he'd done more when there was still demand. I can't begin to imagine how much black market labels have profited from Dave's hesitation, and it must be especially frustrating for archivists wanting to compile albums of '60s material. If Dave's intention was to convince the world his music never existed in the first place, he's surely come as close as it's possible to get without actually destroying your recordings, and now DC5 are undeservedly seen as lightweights because of how poorly their work has endured. Such a shame...

Hep Alien, Greg Gee, longaway and 7 others like this.
  16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

could be, i'm not sure, never even knew this existed.

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

(Not to go too far off topic...is the book any good? Some of the reviews on Amazon are scathing).

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

There's a window with a faint flickering light left where they might be able to issue DC5 in physical form and generate some profits. A super deluxe vinyl box? Perhaps. A duper deluxe CD + video (+vinyl) (+scarves) box? Perhaps. Each might sell 500-1000 copies to the remaining fans who care enough to spend that kind of money.

But the truth is that the DC5 never existed to anyone under the age of 40. Keeping their material entirely out of print, out of the digital domain, out of licensing for films, etc. means that virtually no one who didn't hear the DC5 when they were current or perhaps in the subsequent decade on oldies radio before their presence trickled to a stop hasn't a clue who they are. And that lack of knowledge is profound, going beyond lack of name recognition and to a lack of familiarity with even the biggest DC5 songs like Glad All Over.

Greed got in the way of maintaining any sort of legacy.

19. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

I thought I had heard somewhere, that the OOP Hollywood Records 2x Hits CD was reissued, at some point.
    Is this not true?

20. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Reissued? Not to my knowledge. A bunch of old stock sealed copies hit the market a few years ago.

21. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Thank you for this. I guess it was that NOS batch, that some had misidentified as being 'officially reissued', when they were not.

22. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I liked it because I'm into the subject matter but its very scattershot and not cohesive.

23. It’s a fascinating article. Thanks for posting. It may not be much but I’m glad all over that I own the two disc best of set that Hollywood Records (apparently in conjunction with Rhino) released. I’ve had the Dave Clark Five and beyond Blu-ray on my shelf for a couple years and haven’t watched it yet, but that’s going to change tonight. :tiphat:

24. And veering a little further still, from the huffpost article, “Harold Bronson is the co-founder of Rhino Records. His memoir THE RHINO RECORDS STORY: REVENGE OF THE MUSIC NERDS was recently published.”

Has anyone read Harold’s book? If so, is it recommended?

25. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I'm sort of surprised that no one has mentioned that there are a ton of DC5 Lps available on Itunes, even the Candian only "Instrumental" album. Also unreleased stuff and the Dave Clark and Friends Lp. Yes, the tracks are not the exact same as the Lps were, but most of the songs are there.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    MerseyBeatle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.