Dave Grohl - Play

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DML71, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

What do you define as “modern instruments”? Computers? If yes then yes.

2. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Machine wrapped in butter.

Don’t be afraid of the future.

9 Volt likes this.
  3. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I am afraid of everything.... :(

9 Volt likes this.
  4. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

I'm a musician. I play guitar and keyboards. These days when I compose a song I have two choices:

1. Create my song by playing musical instruments along with other musicians (or if I'm Dave Grohl play all the instruments myself).

or

2. Embace technology and draw the entire song all by myself on a computer screen.

I've done both and I've been happy with the results in both cases. And either way the song ends up in a computer. Both methods have their pros and cons.

But guess which way is a hell of a lot more fun?

Dorian75 likes this.
  5. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

No. Probot.

6. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Heck put jazz flute on anything and it'll sound better. ;)

7. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

Little bit of singing and soloing and it'd be perfect. Gonna go for vinyl anyway

8. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think Dave should play a nose flute out of his ****.

10. Grunge Master

Grunge Master Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold.

I love Nirvana (my 2nd favorite group after The Beatles), and I think that Dave is a genuinely good guy. I just don't care for his music. He's a great drummer-and a hard hitting one; he helped take Nirvana to the next level by giving them that extra crunch that they needed. I think that most of his stuff is indistinguishable from each other. It has nothing to do with talent; I mean, he played all of the instruments (aside from one guitar track) on the FF debut album (which I love). It just feels bland to me.

11. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

I like this project and Dave, but i'm starting to wonder if he is gonna become the Phil Collins' of the modern era and will become hated.

Dave just appears to becoming everybody's darling... similar to the way Phil did in the mid-80's. I would say that 'Play' is that point where Collins' released 'Both Sides' (where PC also played every instrument on the album). Unfortunately that had a big negative effect on Collins' career - he left Genesis, and he didn't have the hits anymore.

I just hope DG doesn't go down the same route - just because he has done 'play'.

12. jwoverho

jwoverho Forum Resident

Overexposure possibly. People just might be tired of seeing him everywhere being asked to pontificate on all things rock. Dave seems like a genuinely nice guy, but anyone can wear out their welcome.

13. Haggis Wampovich

Haggis Wampovich Professor of Dead Languages

Seek this one out. The music is great.

14. Haggis Wampovich

Haggis Wampovich Professor of Dead Languages

The TCV record has a large amount of Josh Homme’s influence in terms of the writing. If you’re lukewarm on his output, it’s no surprise you didn’t connect with TCV.

15. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Forum Resident

I think it's a good way to see how the first album was recorded. Don't forget, with the exception of one song, he played everything on the first album.