Dave Mason "Alone Together" musicians

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spencer1, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident Thread Starter

This has always been one of my favorite albums but the liner notes are frustratingly vague.
    Does anybody know who played what on the different songs.
    For me he has never played better lead guitar than he did on this album, I'm just not sure it's always him.

2. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident Thread Starter

From ALLMUSIC - but there's gotta be more ...

John Barbata - Drums
    Bonnie Bramlett - Vocals
    Delaney Bramlett - Guitar, Vocals
    Jim Capaldi - Composer, Drums, Guest Artist
    Rita Coolidge - Guest Artist, Vocals
    Michael DeTemple - Guitar
    Chris Ethridge - Unknown Contributor Role
    Jim Gordon - Drums, Guest Artist
    Jim Keltner - Drums, Guest Artist
    Larry Knechtel - Unknown Contributor Role
    Claudia Lennear - Vocals
    Dave Mason - Composer, Guitar, Primary Artist, Producer, Vocals
    Bob Norwood - Unknown Contributor Role
    Don Preston - Keyboards
    Carl Radle - Bass
    Leon Russell - Guest Artist, Keyboards
    John Simon - Keyboards

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Going to hazard a guess the Don Preston who is on this album is the rhythm guitarist, not the ex-Mothers Of Invention keyboardist (who isn't the same person).

Can't help with who played on what cut as I don't know this album very well.

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Not the same Don Preston. There was another Don, whom was a part of Leon Russell's band for several years.

Per Wikipedia, FWIW:

Personnel
    Production

* Producer: Dave Mason, Tommy LiPuma
    • Recording Engineer: Bruce Botnick, Douglas Botnick
    • Mixing: Al Schmitt
    • Photography/Design: Barry Feinstein, Tom Wilkes
    To the OP, check out the album "Certified Live", as there is a some great playing from Dave and the late Jim Krueger on that album. Well recorded and mixed too...again by the Botnicks.

I wish Universal would issue a set containing all of Dave's Blue Thumb albums, plus any unreleased material. I'd love to hear those complete Troubadour tapes.

Sneaky Pete and rockclassics like this.
  5. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Better yet - how about a boxed set with the studio Blue Thumb albums and complete Toubadour shows / tapes.

belardd likes this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Isn't the reason he dropped out Derek & The Domions was that this LP was released and he needed to promote it? And in dropping out and not going to Miami to record what became the Layla LP, left Clapton to find another guitar player for that LP?

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I could be wrong but I thought Clapton was looking for a slide player for the Layla sessions. I have heard that EC was looking to get Ry Cooder but he wasn't available. I could be wrong with that as well.

Bill

8. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Dave Mason was in DATD when they were plying gigs in England. Dave is Also on the withdrawn single Tell The Truth, which can be easily found on Clapton's Crossroads Box Set. He was I think also playing with them on George's All Things Must Pass sessions.

9. pool_of_tears

That's what I mean :)

10. glea

glea Forum Resident

I think Mason only played the first D+D gig... I have a couple of tapes, and he is on the earlier one, but is gone for the later one.
    I saw Mason when Alone came out. Great gig, at the San Jose Civic. The Pointer Sisters sang bg vocals. Mason was a massive guitarists. A remix of those live tapes is in order. Really, a guy who did it all on his debut. After that, meh...

11. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Not necessarily so. Have you heard his collaboration with Cass Elliot on Blue Thumb? A very strong album, as was his debut for Columbia entitled, "It's Like You Never Left." Both are well worth a serious listen or two...or three.

tages, rockclassics and apple-richard like this.
  12. marc roberty

marc roberty Forum Resident

What show with Dave Mason do you have? I know he played at the late Marquee show with them.

13. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

Marc - late show at the Marquee? We have recordings of two sets from that date, without Mason. Are these both from the early show then?
    The only live appearance I know of that includes Mason is the first D&D show at the Lyceum; no recordings seem to be available.

14. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

where was the photo in your book from? is that the marquee? i don't recall right now.

15. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Although I'm dying to find out more, re Marc's hints on additional Mason/D&tD appearances, a quick diversion back to the album: when and where was it recorded? Wiki says "1970" and released in June 1970, so I'm guessing somewhere in the USA (given Botnick's and Al Schmitt's involvement) in Winter/Spring 1970.

What makes me curious is that Carl Radle and Jim Gordon both play and yet Bobby Whitlock does not - a curious absence, given that they were a unit for Delaney & Bonnie, Leon Russell and Joe Cocker, not to mention backing Derek himself, before becoming official Dominos.

Is he on it, but just not credited? Is it possible EC is there too? This earlier thread poses the same question, but without any answers,

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/dave-mason-alone-together-with-clapton.94931/

16. marc roberty

yes, the show we all have must be from the early show. I have some photos from the late show with Dave Mason present playing a white telecaster. I have spoken with Dave Mason, Bobby Whitlock and eric clapton and none have any recollection of this. They all say that Mason only played at the Lyceum. I am not esurprised they do not remember as this was jut another jam and nothing that out of the ordinary.

But the photos do prove without a doubt that it happened.

Here is one with Eric in the shadow to the left:

Picture 1.png

with Eric in view this time:

Picture 4.png

17. marc roberty

I beieve that Carl and Jim's contribution were recorded before they came over to the UK to join the Dominos. And although Dave was going to join the band to augment the sound he had to leave to promote this very album.

I spoke to Dave Mason about this a few years ago and he told me that HE played the solos and that Eric was not present at the sessions. Mason was a good player and although one or two of the solos are Claptonesque, I have no doubt that Eric is not playing on this album.

Mark E. Moon. likes this.
  18. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Thanks Marc - the EC speculation was a bit of a longshot; Dave can certainly do a decent Eric impression if/when he wants to (he can also do an excellent Steve Stills style too), so I'm not surprised if there's been some confusion in the past.

It's still surprising to me that Bobby Whitlock didn't play on the Mason album though - I appreciate that those guys weren't meant to be joined to the hip or anything, but Whitlock/Radle/Gordon were pretty much the house band for that whole D&B/Russell/Cocker/Clapton/Harrison axis for that period from late '69-mid '70.

Info appreciated though. :righton:

19. marc roberty

the 2 photos will be in my new book due out later in the year. See pics above.

20. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

i seem to recall an on stage photo with mason and clapton playing acoustic guitars. i'll have to pull out my copy of your book.

21. marc roberty

that would be the Lyceum show.

22. pool_of_tears

It'd be interesting to hear if anything from Mason's very brief Dominos exists, beyond the Tell The Truth/Roll It Over 45.

How about a Blue Thumb 2 or 3 cd set to include:

• Alone Together
    • Dave Mason & Cass Elliot
    • Satin Red and Black Velvet Woman (45 only)
    • Headkeeper (side 1)
    • The complete Troubadour show...this would include side 2 of Headkeeper" and all of Dave Mason Is Alive, plus more.
    Oddly eough, the live versions of "Just A Song" and "Feelin' Alright" were on both Headkeeper and Dave Mason Is Alive. Never understood that.

Heck, I'd like to have both side of his 1968 solo single "Just for You" b/w "Little Woman" as well.

23. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

It's likely Whitlock was already in London by then.
    The rumour of Clapton playing the Look at You, Look at Me solo has been around since the album was released. But here's Mason from a 2003 interview:

I’ve used so many different guitars. a lot of the time it depends on what song you’re recording. Like on Alone Together, on “Look At You, Look At Me” I used a Flying V.

Not conclusive, but I think clearly suggesting the solo was his.

EDIT: I just read Marc Roberty's response. Clearly, we'll attend to his!

24. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

Mason is definitely on Roll It Over. Do we actually know if played on this version of Tell the Truth?

25. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

Thanks, Marc. Great to have these photos. (Here comes the "but".)

But - Chris Hjort's book quotes the Melody Maker Aug 22 review of the Marquee gig without referencing Mason. Seems strange.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.