David Bowie '1. Outside' What are your five favourite tracks?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NightGoatToCairo, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

Eno isn’t on twitter. See the note at the bottom of his official webstore.

Welcome to the official Brian Eno web store

2. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I was at that Skydome gig. One had to time one’s push to the front of the mosh pit just right — when the bees came on the screen was my cue. I got it slightly wrong in Toronto, and paid the price when a kid landed on my head and broke the arm of my glasses.

thegoldenyear likes this.
  3. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

But wasn't the birthday bash was old stagers like Lou Reed, Grohl (cough), Robert Smith, Frank Black, Billy Corgan.

From Wikipedia re Smashing Pumpkins:
    Mainstream breakout: 1992–1994
    With the breakthrough of alternative rock into the American mainstream due to the popularity of grunge bands such as Nirvana and Pearl Jam, the Smashing Pumpkins were poised for major commercial success..."We've graduated now from 'the next Jane's Addiction' to 'the next Nirvana', now we're 'the next Pearl Jam'...Siamese Dream debuted at number ten on the Billboard 200 chart,[25] and sold over four million copies in the U.S. alone...Stephen Malkmus, lead singer of Pavement, has stated, "I never dissed their music. I just dissed their status."[27] Former Hüsker Dü frontman Bob Mould called them "the grunge Monkees",[9] and fellow Chicago musician/producer Steve Albini wrote a scathing letter in response to an article praising the band, derisively comparing them to REO Speedwagon ("by, of and for the mainstream") and concluding their ultimate insignificance.[28] The opening track and lead single of Siamese Dream, "Cherub Rock", directly addresses Corgan's feud with the "indie-world"

I've got nothing against it, but those acts were not avant-garde/cutting edge, but the new establishment.

4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I stand corrected--whoever's posting stuff on it still Tweets tons of very Eno-y things though, even though it's not him.

Just curious--I agree it wasn't the Pumpkins, the Foo Fighters or Lou or Bob Smith, but who they were supposed to have gotten to come on stage who could be considered avant & cutting edge of that time?

5. BlueSpeedway

6. BlueSpeedway

Oh you’re not alone, I’ve seen loads of people think it’s him, it’s like fake news, what a world we live in.

7. BlueSpeedway

..mmm, he probably wasn’t in the right frame of mind, the heart attack, being a father to a young child, etc etc. Plus to come back with something “old” probably he wouldn’t want that.

Group of One likes this.
  8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Well the '95 NIN tour arrangement will always be my favourite but I never got to see that tour for real!

9. stepeanut

Live, in the room, the September 1995-February 1996 versions of “Spaceboy” were powerful/pounding/relentless. Later versions didn’t have the same intensity.

10. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

I would rank Bowie's post Scary Monsters output like this:

Blackstar
    Let's Dance
    The Next Day
    Baal
    EP
    Never Let Me Down
    Tonight
    Outside
    Black Tie White Noise
    Buddha of Suburbia
    Heathen
    Tin Machine
    Labyrinth soundtrack
    Hours
    Reality
    Earthling
    Tin Machine II

Solace likes this.
  11. BlueSpeedway

My one big WTF moment at that time was the Pet Shop remake of Spaceboy. I have nothing against the Pet Shops, I always loved a good pop, even in the 90s... even a bit of Madonna, Kylie. But to neutralize the awesome Spaceboy like that was bizarre. Surely there was another way of getting a hit?!

12. stepeanut

I was never a massive PSB fan, although I did like some of their singles, and enjoyed their set at Glastonbury 2000. Like you, I have no problem with good pop music. But, unlike you, I really enjoyed their reinvention of “Spaceboy”. It wasn’t so much a remix with a few bells and whistles tacked on, but enough of a radical remake to become a different animal altogether. I realise that this may put me in a minority subset amongst traditional hardcore Bowie fans, but so be it.

Dave’s shoes at the Brit Awards were a bit dodgy, mind.

13. BlueSpeedway

Interesting stuff. Never seen Labyrinth so high on a list. Bowie would probably like that. He put one of its tracks on a short compilation CD he made to accompany a book by Iman circa 2000.

I recently got the 2017 Universal vinyl reissue of Labyrinth from a bargain bin and gave it a nice listen. Spoiled by a dire pressing though, huge pops and dished too :(

Too cheap to return.

Mother likes this.
  14. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

A Small Plot of Land
    The Motel
    I Have Not Been To Oxford Town
    The Voyeur Of Utter Destruction (As Beauty)
    Strangers When We Meet

When did you first hear this album?
    in its entirety not until the mid '00s.

How do rank it post-Scary Monsters?
    His best.

What would your 10 track version be?

The above five plus The Hearts Filthy Lesson and I'm Deranged would be the best of it. the rest i have no strong feelings about.

15. BlueSpeedway

When I read about it, I was quite excited, and imagined a real hard trance inducing disco technoey thing, like a more sinister and stomping Moroder/Summer I Feel Love type feel. That would have made me happy :)

stepeanut likes this.
  16. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

1. Outisde
    2. Heart's Filthy Lesson
    3. Spaceboy
    4. Oxford Town
    5. Stranger's When we meet

I haven't listened to it for so long that I can't remember much of the rest of it I - I'll have to pull it out again. I bought it when it was released in 1995. My memory of it is that there are some good ideas there and one or two glimpses of greatness, but it's way too long and needs some pruning to be a coherent whole (but I say that for almost anything released in the 90s). Heart's Filthy Lesson, in particular, I think is great; Spaceboy sounded better live and Strangers...., as great as it is, didn't really belong but I understand he wanted more people to hear it. Where does it come in his post-Scary Monsters work? Well for me almost everything he did from 1983 dissolves into a rather dull, muddy brown. They all had their moments, but nothing really fully clicked (live it was a different story). It wasn't till Blackstar that I once again heard the man whose work I fell in love with.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  17. BlueSpeedway

.. or something like this awesome, dark, ultra hypnotic Madonna “Nothing Really Matters” remix from 1998, very little like the original. I played this to death that year when someone gave it to me after raving about it.

18. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

Q. 1 - I recall buying the LP when I first saw it - so about the time it came out. Not sure if I had a CD player at the time, but I bought the cassette sometime after, and then ended up buying the CD and cassette for both version 1 & 2, and finally the 2CD version in 2005.

Q. 2 - I'm not across this album as well as some others and prefer many of other post Scary Monsters albums, notably Heathen and Blackstar with a few exceptions notoriously Never Let Me Down. Artistically I can see it's quite accomplished, but perhaps not so much to my taste.
    Even though a few of the tracks are not, overall I find 1. Outside to be a very demanding listen.

Due to this lack of total familiarity I can't answer Q 3, though I would include 'Oxford Town, Outside and Hallo Spaceboy. Strangers ' is good, but it doesn't really seem to fit the overall album.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  19. stepeanut

I liked the “Ground to Major, bye bye Tom” bit. It was another chapter in Bowie’s postmodern, self-referential dialogue with his first musical character that traced a line from “Space Oddity” through “Ashes to Ashes” to “Buddha of Suburbia” and beyond. I’m sure he thought it was terribly clever and funny.

StormSignal and BlueSpeedway like this.
  20. stepeanut

Anyone else here have a copy of the Italian CD, with the additional booklet, in Italian? This was hard to find even at the time. I think they only made 1,000 of them.

[​IMG]

21. BlueSpeedway

That was cool, but I presumed Neil Tennant wrote that addition? He sings it IIRC..

22. stepeanut

Apologies, I was unclear.

Yes, I agree that Neil Tennant probably wrote that line, which is why I believe Bowie thought it to be clever and funny.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  23. BlueSpeedway

Oh, gotcha now, sorry.

stepeanut likes this.
  24. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

"Thru These Architect's Eyes" is the hit that should have been. And I'm not even sure it was ever played live.

surfling likes this.
  25. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Agreed and yes twice, but nowhere near as good.

surfling, Emilio and Group of One like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.