David Bowie 2017 Remasters - individual CD Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Dec 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Bought from ebay, with a rather vague description - so I was unable to really tell until I received it... :doh:

2. briaboy

briaboy Well-Known Member

Amazon.com now have the individual releases for Feb. 18. Low, Heroes & Lodger all say "2017 remaster" after each song title in each album's tracklist. "Scary Monsters", however, says "1999 remaster". Hope this is just an Amazon error...

3. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

So just a little update on the CD's. HMV now have the four studio albums at £5.99 each.

Much better price point than the last set.

I wonder if amazon will follow suit?

jl151080, bobcat and Porkpie like this.
  4. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

5. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Heroes and Low are now $13 each on Amazon.

6. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I have my local store order these for me and I love supporting my local store but $13 is an amazing price. I figure my local will have them around $20 a piece. I will find out later this week.

7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I received an email from HMV earlier today saying the 4 lp set I bought on preorder was dispatched, so I'm guessing that will come before release this Friday

8. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Lucky you!!! Let me know how they are. You probably will get them Wednesday.

9. PJM

PJM Forum Resident

I decided against purchasing ANCIANT and went for the individual releases of Low, "Heroes", and Lodger (pre-ordered from Amazon). I had borrowed the box from our local library and auditioned it for a couple of weeks. I liked the increased bass on Low as well as the remastering on "Heroes" ("loss of energy" on the title track aside) and Lodger. Stage did nothing for me in either incarnation; I never have cared very much for Scary Monsters and I thought the 2017 mix for Lodger was so-so. The other stuff included in the set wasn't enough for me to justify dropping over $100 on it. I am not a big Bowie fan, but I always found his music during this time period to be fascinating, innovative and compelling. I probably would have gone for the box if the bonus tracks off the Ryko releases had been included, but the price would still have made me hesitate. Still waiting for my order from Amazon to be shipped.

10. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Thanks, you have no idea how many of my questions you've answered in this one post!

I'm a casual Bowie fan as well but also find Bowie's mid/late 70's period rather fascinating but not fascinating enough to purchase a box set. I am interested in mostly Station To Station, Heroes and Low but the "loss of energy" in the title track of Heroes concerns me. I don't own any copies of these albums but after some further research, many listeners are complaining about fluctuating volume levels inherent in the song Heroes on these latest releases. I may purchase the CD release of Low but Heroes I'll need to look to previous editions.

To one reviewer on Amazon, Parlophone offered this explanation:

“On the flat unmastered transfer, there was a temporary loss of energy on the track just before 2.50. During the album mastering, some high-frequency automation (in the region of +- 6dB) has been added in order to compensate for this. So to clarify, there is not a drop in volume, there is a high-frequency boost for a couple of seconds at the loss of energy which then returns to normal and the track continues to the end at a level consistent to the start.

“As the co-producer of ‘Heroes’ Tony Visconti, was both fully involved and approved the remastering of this and all original albums within the set.”

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    PJM likes this.
  11. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I got the 4 x vinyl set from HMV this week (Low, Heroes, Lodger & Scarey Monsters). Have played the first 3 so far and all sound great and nice quiet, flat pressings. Will play SM tomorrow

PJM likes this.
  12. PJM

PJM Forum Resident

I'm sure the individual release of "Heroes" will have it's title track's energy restored since corrected replacements have been going out to the folks who purchased the box set. If Parlophone mishandles the individual release after all the complaints about ANCIANT, it will be an all-time screw up of epic proportions.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Carlox and Exile On My Street like this.
  13. PJM

PJM Forum Resident

Just contacted Amazon and my order will ship on 2/26/18.

14. I don’t suppose the Low released this week is any better than the terrible Low released in the box set ? I assume it’s exactly the same ?

I returned my box because of Low and frankly Heroes didn’t bother me.

Exile On My Street and reb like this.
  15. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

What did you not like about it?

16. Extremely congested and boomy with no space - only heard the newer cd no vinyl - I even like my ryko cd better along w my original vinyl.

I think I’m done with the Bowie boxes. I have the first on vinyl plus first and second on cd. I’m skipping the third comoletely I think since I have original LPs.

Hermes, bobcat and TonyCzar like this.
  17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Some like the new mastering (I do), and some dislike it. I have not read anywhere they were going to do anything with Low beyond what was released in the box. Heroes - yes. Low - no. It's really a matter of taste.

TonyCzar likes this.
  18. Yup understood. That one record just didn’t work for me and i love that album.

Others here seem to So that’s cool.

19. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Any recommended vinyl from the latest box? I heard Scary Monsters isn’t too bad?

20. PJM

PJM Forum Resident

What did you think of the 1999 remaster? Most folks here seem to dislike it intensely....

21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

You're better off going for what sounds good to you, rather than seeking out what others prefer. There's so much going on with every Bowie release............

PJM and Mazzy like this.
  22. I assume that’s the Ryoko? I have and it is not great but I actually like it better than the new one - which I no longer have.

I’m satisfied my the 70s LP. Too bad there’s not a CD version that comes close imho

PJM likes this.
  23. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I bought the four studio albums in this latest set, after that I want to get the next 3 studio albums (assuming they’ll follow next) and that’s it. I’m happy to skip the rest (except Next Day & Blackstar which I already have)

PJM likes this.
  24. PJM

PJM Forum Resident

The Rykos came out in 1991, I believe. The 1999s were by EMI/Virgin.

Carlox and bobcat like this.
  25. PJM

PJM Forum Resident

Agree with you on both counts, especially regarding Bowie's catalog which has not received optimum handling...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.