David Bowie A New Career In A New Town 1977 1982 Boxset 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Dec 28, 2016.

1. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

+1 to all of this. Also, the UK Single Mix of "Rebel Rebel" (an interesting alternate mix, if not as dramatically different as the US Single Mix!) finally shows up on CD, and we get a vinyl rip worse than many others already circulating. Sloppy.

Django216 likes this.
  2. PeterVanDoffs

PeterVanDoffs Active Member

I remember interviewing Phillip Glass at the Looking Glass Studios in 97, just as the Heroes Symphony was about to come out.

He mentioned having to bake the Heroes tapes as they were in poor condition. This would have been for the DAT they gave to Aphex Twin to complete that remix that combined the symphonic version with Bowie's vocals.

Me? I'd have been happy with a cake.

oldturkey and crispi like this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

But apparently people are happy, excited even:angel:

PretzelLogic, richbdd01 and crispi like this.
  4. LesMcQueen

LesMcQueen Forum Resident

I think of the album as a dear uncle ;)

5. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Sort of like Baal meets Python :laugh:

oldturkey, Runicen and PeterVanDoffs like this.
  6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Thank you for these quotes.

The thing that struck me were the comments on Low and Heroes. I was wondering what SH members would make of all this. There are those who hold on to the original releases - and sound - as the reference point. There are others, like myself, who simply wants what sounds best to my ears. As such, if the changes in Low and Heroes take it away from the original sound, I expect we'll get some grumbles, or repeated claims the RCA discs are the only way to go. As usual, I guess, we'll get differing opinions.

The comment about quality control on these sets rings true. One assumes that if a track is only available as a Vinyl Rip, then that's what we'll get (or it gets missed off entirely). But each of the remasters thus far (the first two boxes at this point) have been fantastic, and will suit me for years to come.

One should never wish their life away, but damn, Friday can't come too soon.

7. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Monday I have Friday on my mind.

8. footprintsinthesand

Round 1 devided fans, maybe also because the list of venues was so limited. Anyway, I'll be there next year, to do just that: celebrate.

European Tour Dates: Wed 1/10 Paris, France Salle Pleyel Fri 1/12 London, UK 02 Shepherd’s Bush Empire Sat 1/13 Manchester, UK 02 Ritz Manchester Mon 1/15 Dublin, Ireland Olympia Theatre Tue 1/16 Amsterdam, Netherlands Paradiso Wed 1/17 Ultrecht, Netherlands TivoliVredenburg
    North America Tour Dates: Sat 2/10 Silver Spring, MD The Fillmore Silver Spring Sun 2/11 Philadelphia, PA Keswick Theatre Mon 2/12 New York, NY Irving Plaza Tue 2/13 Albany The Egg Fri 2/16 Boston, MA Chevalier Theatre Sat 2/17 Montreal, QC M Telus Sun 2/18 Toronto, ON Danforth Music Hall Mon 2/19 Detroit, MI Royal Oak Music Theatre Wed 2/21 Minneapolis, MN Pantages Theatre Thu 2/22 Milwaukee, WI Pabst Theatre Fri 2/23 Chicago, IL The Vic Theatre Sun 2/25 Denver, CO Paramount Theatre Tue 2/27 Las Vegas, NV Brooklyn Bowl Wed 2/28 Los Angeles, CA The Wiltern Sat 3/3 San Francisco, CA Regency Ballroom Sun 3/4 Santa Rosa, CA Luther Burbank Center Tue 3/6 San Diego, CA Balboa Theatre Wed 3/7 Mesa, AZ Ikeda Theater Sat 3/10 Seattle, WA Benaroya Hall Sun 3/11 Portland, OR Roseland Theater

mdm08033 and Hep Alien like this.
  9. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Albany but not Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Nashville, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans.....? :crazy:

mdm08033 likes this.
  10. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Tickets sales for the Holy Holy band were all over the map. The first North American tour opened in small theaters and clubs and sold out immediately following Mr. Jones' death. When they organized a second leg, the venues grew but sales were limited. Holy Holy sold out the 658 seat Colonial Theater in Phoenixville as soon as Mr. Jones died. The Colonial is about 30 miles northwest of Philadelphia. Parking isn't an issue but the theater is atleast an hour by car or two hours by public transportation from Philadelphia.

When the show returned to the promoter booked the band into the 3,000 seat Tower theater on the western border of Philadelphia proper. The tower boasts plenty of public transportation, parking, traditional seating for older fans. They ended up screening off the approximately 1,000 seat balcony and still didn't fill the lower orchestra level. David Bowie was a huge draw in the Philadelphia area in his prime, but not from the grave.

I'm sure that as positive as the spin is with having some of Mr. Jones side men present, I think that this show is still a gamble for the promoters, hence Live Nation passing on the show in Philadelphia and an independent promoter/theater booking the show in the suburbs at the 1,300 seat Keswick Theater.

Personally, I would only put my money down for a tribute show that included Carlos Alomar and Earl Slick.

jhm likes this.
  11. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Thank you for the recommendation, it does indeed look like a terrific book. The list price is $70.00 but I got it on Amazon for just $40 and change.

12. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I was lucky,preordered it and eventually got it for £19.95 hardback.
    Worth at least triple that.
    Perfect timing, as I’m getting to the end of it having picked it up while on holiday this week and on the last two years covered, 1979-80.
    Can I just say again... brilliant book!
    Enjoy it!:righton:

13. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

14. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I'm looking forward to it, but am fed up with reading promotional / interview crap along the lines of.. "it's now OK to like Lodger". A lot of us already did, even as kids, and don't need our appreciation timing dictated by corporate music industry hipster goons or Visconti.

Runicen, bob60, oldturkey and 4 others like this.
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This whole reissue campaign is ridiculous, makes me feel nostalgic for 1990. Those reissues were also problematic but at
    least the man was still around to promote them himself :tiphat:

16. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It's sure going to be a little different for those of us who loved Lodger from day one, note one. I'm expecting/hoping for a different experience, not a better one. Lodger, as-is, is perfect. It doesn't need any help, assistance, or re imagining. However, we're getting it - so while it won't unseat the last 40 years or so of knowing the album, it may be a new room as yet unexplored.

17. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

A special "Live in Berlin" EP will stream tonight (David Bowie Official on Twitter ).
    I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be a preview of next year's RSD release.

"LIVE IN BERLIN (1978) DIGITAL EP STREAMING TONIGHT

“There's something in the air…”

The upcoming release of the David Bowie: A New Career In A New Town (1977-1982) box set (Friday, 29th September), will be celebrated today (Tuesday, 26th September), with an event at the world-famous Hansa Studios in Berlin, which will be live-streamed here on www.facebook.com/davidbowie at 8pm CET (7pm BST / 2pm EST / 11am PST).

The live event will feature a Q&A session with guests including Carlos Alomar (who played guitar with Bowie from 1974 to 1996), Edu Meyer (the former sound engineer at Hansa Studios) and Chris Duffy (son of photographer Brian Duffy, and director of the Duffy Archive), who will all be discussing Bowie’s work from 1977-1982.

To commemorate the event and the release of the box set, from 11pm CET (10pm BST / 5pm EST / 2pm PST) tonight a special live digital E.P. will be on all major streaming services for a very limited time only. The E.P. features three previously unreleased tracks recorded live in Berlin on the Isolar II tour in 1978.

Live In Berlin (1978) E.P.

1. Be My Wife (live) (2.51)
    2. Sense Of Doubt (live) (3.18)
    3. Breaking Glass (live) (3.36)

Recorded live at the Deutschlandhalle, Berlin on 16th May, 1978.

Photography by Antoine Loogman taken at the Deutschlandhalle performance."

e.s., SinisterGinger, dtuck90 and 2 others like this.
  18. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

All this Berlin hype stuff is so funny when Low was recorded in France and other stuff elsewhere: Lodger: NYC and Switzerland.

Neonbeam and oldturkey like this.
  19. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident Thread Starter

20. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

21. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

22. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

BTW, I made a mistake gere (it won' bee the larst) - badd eyes.
    Mojo didn't call the Lodger remix revolutionary, but revelatory. Maybe it's more sound separation that introduvtion of new elephants.

23. footprintsinthesand

Aujourd'hui j'aimerais vous présenter le studio Château d'Hérouville, ou l'album superbe Low de DaVide BeauVie etait enregistré. Aussi Pinups, The Idiot (Iggy Pop) et assez the crêpes .. sorry I mean also plenty of other crap, as you can see in the video.

Grissongs and BlueSpeedway like this.
  24. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Honky Château! Visconti had a ghost experience there IIRC.

25. footprintsinthesand

[​IMG]
    Did I hear you say 'wevvalooshunairee' ?

NightGoatToCairo, moj and oldturkey like this.