David Bowie A New Career In A New Town 1977 1982 Boxset 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Dec 28, 2016.

1. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Markyp likes this.
  2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Just in time for the 25th anniversary box set of boxsets!

3. LesMcQueen

LesMcQueen Forum Resident

Anyone have the full setlist of that Berlin concert? Presumably it'll be fully released next April for RSD.

4. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

here you go at setlist
    and on disc:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    LesMcQueen likes this.
  5. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

With the artwork already prepped for the digital EP, I'd be surprised if they don't put that out for Black Friday.

6. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

and where's Lodger remix snippets?

7. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Haha, well, I don't care about that. I only trust my ears. :) Haven't had the time to listen to all of the albums, just snippets, but listened through Low and the new Lodger mix. To me it sounds good, but I only got the 1999 remasters to compare with. Don't know if I'm sold to the Lodger remix though...

Will listen more closely to the box after work today (I live in Sweden, so now it's early in the morning).

fRa, Mazzy and Bowie Fett like this.
  8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Spotted a vinyl box in the wild today! On the shelf at Rotate This in Toronto if anyone feels like picking up their copy a couple of days early

9. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Check Bowie's Facebook page, Move On and African Night Flight are up in full.

nick jones likes this.
  10. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Except the two versions of Stage share the same mix, unless a new remix was done for this box. The only difference is the altered track order and additional tracks. With David Live, there were two different mixes.

scobb likes this.
  11. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Are they down the page a ways? They don't seem to be visible.

12. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Apologies, looks like they removed it, was up around the time of the launch event.

13. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Raving & Drooling

Yeah that's fine but my main point was, its about filling these boxes out and making them seem worthy of slapping down the same amount of cash for each one. I listened to the original version of David Live on that set when I got it and only that one time, the enhanced version is my go to copy these days.

For box three Stage is listed like this...
    Stage (original) (remaster)*
    Stage (2017) (remaster)
    Original version of stage is a set exclusive (along with the Heroes EP and 2017 Visconti Lodger mix)... so it looks to me like they're both remastered and the 2017 version only has the new content as you said... which kind of sucks imho, however the rest of the box contents are more than reason enough to pick this up on my end.

14. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Raving & Drooling

I agree, I'm just a big Eno fan as well so for me these albums mean that to me more than the semi-official title they took on, I've often referred to them as the Berlin trilogy in conversation etc... hell, you could call them the Brillo Box Sessions and I'd still think of them as Bowie and Eno (and a bit o'Fripp) doing cool **** together. ;)

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  15. downer

downer Senior Member

I still have my order in for the CD box, I’ll still buy it, I’ll still buy the next one, and so on... but for f*&$’s sake, I am so over download / streaming only content as an ‘added’ bonus...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    oldturkey likes this.
  16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This "Berlin Trilogie" tag is misleading and problematic on several levels. It shuts out/ isolates "Scary Monsters" - which is clearly connected to the "trilogy" - it ignores the fact that there were two more Bowie helmed albums - one even recorded in Berlin - during that period. I could go on:uhhuh:

But I've grown tired of these discussions. Because people love simplification. Even more than remaster vinyl from digital sources :whistle:

oldturkey and BlueSpeedway like this.
  17. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Bowie himself called the 3 albums a trilogy (or triptyque - not sure if I've spelled that right). How is Scary Monsters connected? Iggy Pop's two albums were Iggy Pop solo albums, produced by David Bowie. Yes, they're part of the story but not part of the trilogy.

scobb likes this.
  18. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Is this how you plan to play the CDs from the Box set?
    [​IMG]

19. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

The Iggy albums were not just solo records. Bowie co wrote virtually all the songs, plays much of the music on The Idiot and plays keyboards throughout Lust For Life as well as producing. The Idiot in particular is as much Bowie’s vision as it is Iggy’s. A true collaboration and to dismiss these when talking about the Berlin era is to miss a huge part of the picture.

20. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

The artwork of Scary Monsters has paintings of the three Bowie / Eno albums incorporated in its rear, at Bowie's request. It's not an advert, it's deliberate and part of the painting, I guess for the fan to interpret as they wish..

You're aware Bowie wrote most of the music on The Idiot and Lust For Life and the recording of the former was simultaneous with Low? Obviously they're not Bowie albums, just as Iggy's 1986 Blah Blah Blah album is rarely mentioned despite Bowie writing almost all its music, and it being vastly superior as an album to Let's Dance, Tonight, and Never Let Me Down.

This book spends a lot of time on the Low / Idiot unity and is a great little read:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  21. BlueSpeedway

I don't mean it horribly, but some people here really need to invest in Pegg's Complete David Bowie book, or at least look at some websites. I know Bowie was never as intensely adored in the US, and we all make mistakes, but the amount of misinformation and errors about him and his music that get stated as fact here, is bizarre.

Tingman and sound chaser like this.
  22. BlueSpeedway

This isn't coincidence either, depending on your point of view..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

warewolf95, Scooter59, e.s. and 4 others like this.
  23. BlueSpeedway

That's handy, I think I'm off work that day... :)

TonyCzar and pobbard like this.
  24. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

25. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I'm not dismissing them at all. Just saying they're part of the story but not part of the trilogy.
    Yes, Scary Monsters uses some of the artwork from Low and Heroes. It also uses Aladdin Sane as well. So? Is Scary Monsters somehow connected to the Ziggy period as well? If there's a connection, it's in Robert Fripp's guitar work which was a more fully-realized rendering (IMO) of what Adrien Belew was attempting on Lodger.

Of course I'm well aware of how involved Bowie was with The Idiot (especially) and Lust For Life (sorry to sound tetchy but it's quite basic info for a Bowie fan). Bowie acknowledged that that he used The Idiot to test run certain ideas that he'd develop more on Low. Of course they're an important part of the story, but they're not part of the Trilogy (the term Bowie himself used to describe the three records).

warewolf95 likes this.