David Bowie A New Career In A New Town 1977 1982 Boxset 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Dec 28, 2016.

1. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

I hope that's drool I just gave a "like" to, and not puke :laugh:

oldturkey and Phillip Walch like this.
  2. BlueSpeedway

Here you go, January 2016:

Eno: “About a year ago we started talking about Outside… we both liked that album a lot and felt that it had fallen through the cracks. We talked about revisiting it, taking it somewhere new. I was looking forward to that.."

The final message David Bowie sent to Brian Eno is incredibly poignant

3. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Brian I am free to help :) I will happily sit and listen through all the sessions and demos, make coffee, butties for lunch, compile the booklet. Hey I'll even throw in a QC session or two and you'll not get a better offer from Parlophone on that front.

4. BlueSpeedway

Hopefully the "Parlophone" and Bowie connection will be history before the rarities start.

karmaman, Solace, oldturkey and 2 others like this.
  5. Phillip Walch

I second that wholeheartedly.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  6. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

"they will never rot" that can be said of the Eno Trilogy and Outside. The master tapes may rot, but you can't erase history. Those records left a mark.

Marc 74, Runicen, TonyCzar and 2 others like this.
  7. BlueSpeedway

Love this.

[​IMG]

8. BlueSpeedway

I was in a real state of Bowie ecstacy 1994-95. I loved The Buddha of Suburbia album and was still playing it to death all the time when up he popped on BBC2 TV to tease Outside with a blistering early (or even first?) performance of Hallo Spaceboy with a fantastic band featuring Dorsey, Alomar et al.

Then of course I was playing Outside to death all the time. I blew up some good KEF speakers while listening to Spaceboy that year, I kid you not.

liv3evil, OldSoul, Runicen and 3 others like this.
  9. Wilco

Wilco Forum Resident

All of this would make more sense if they’d talked about their “correction” before the box was released, as I believe others have pointed out. As an example, EMI was very clear that Please Please Me was from a second generation tape, prepared for the mono vinyl box, because the master tape had issues with the glue coating the tape heads during playback, so they could only play one song at a time.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  10. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

:laugh: Eno looking like your average Joe ... made of iroooon ow

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I still play Outside constantly. CONSTANTLY. It's an adventure. And it's epic! No pruning needed. Unlike other modern albums that are genuinely overlong (drop three songs from "The Next Day" and it's a new classic), Outside is just right. Don't touch it! Don't lay a finger on it! It's perfection, dammit!

12. BlueSpeedway

:laugh: classic

13. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'm in full agreement, but it's always cool to see what people consider the "proper" track listing for a given album. I was more into prog at the point I found Outside, so it's absurd high concept trappings just sucked me in. Why not make it an 8 album set?! :winkgrin:

14. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

But the Leon Suites was the originally intended LP. The reason it isn't is because the record company chickened out and made Bowie make it more commercial. That was like burning books imo, but still, Bowie wanted to release at least a double cd. I think Outside is his best album since Scar...er Lodger.

David Bowie 1994 The Leon Suites (1. Outside Outtakes) SQ 9 | www.DavidBowieWorld.nl

Runicen, Max Florian and TonyCzar like this.
  15. Phillip Walch

There's a name for people like you and your EP length Outside offerings :D

Runicen likes this.
  16. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I would rather wait for ten years for a decent organisation to release any more Bowie material than feel the urge to buy the sort of remasters Parlo are churning out. They make Rykodisc look like they knew what they were doing in comparison.

17. Phillip Walch

I play it at least once a month and have done for years. One of my favourite periods of music in general. I loved 1995/96 and Outside was a massive part of that.

18. BlueSpeedway

I had a friend since the late 1980s who was a fan of Cindy Sherman, who creates and features in photgraphs made as stills "from films which don't exist". He showed me her books, photos etc, and 5 or 6 years later when Outside came out, I thought of Cindy Sherman again after that gap, and for me the album is some kind of movie OST or virtual reality soundtrack for a thing which doesn't exist. Sounds OTT but it was only a simple thing in my head, and felt quite logical at the time.

Not that I needed any help to love the music; I loved it all and still do.

Mazzy likes this.
  19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I think the labels were right this time.

:hide:

pobbard likes this.
  20. BlueSpeedway

One of my other old favourites also did a very, very good album for me that year, come to think of it. An absolute stonker in their vast catalogue. Pere Ubu (Ray Gun Suitcase).

Phillip Walch likes this.
  21. BlueSpeedway

But would you be able to resist a big fat super deluxe of it... :)

22. BlueSpeedway

Yep. Had enough. They're not getting another penny from me for Bowie or anything else.

(There have been some not so awful moments, but for this fan at least, it shouldn't IMO be such a struggle to locate and embrace them. Enough is enough for me).

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    karmaman likes this.
  23. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  24. Phillip Walch

I always thought the title track was playing penguins in the background to the chanting :crazy::evil: maybe I was high. Awesome album, Vacuum in My Head and Folly of Youth are awesome. I've not listened in a while but I always found the guitar very Nirvana-like (back then anyway).

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  25. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I know what you mean. I love Outside as it is, but since I heard the Leon sessions I have an even greater admiration for Bowie. He was so adventurous and when he released Outside he was 49. You've just got to admire what he was trying to do. There's no-one else to compare with what he did over his career IMO.