David Bowie A New Career In A New Town 1977 1982 Boxset 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Dec 28, 2016.

1. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

that's a pretty poor return.
    but have any ever topped the official releases? i'd say no, categorically not.
    no music has ever made my jaw drop, so i doubt some aborted Heathen/Reality era rehearsals will do it. aborted live versions of Sorrow and Fascination? every tour has songs tried and dropped, some before first night, some during the run. this insatiable hunger to hear every last drum pedal squeak is, IMO, misguided. Bowie's given us an astonishing amount of incredible officially released music to enjoy.

2. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

this makes more sense than demanding every scrap be issued. personally i could happily live out the rest of my days with my favourite dozen Bowie albums as they were intended to be listened to.

Musicisthebest likes this.
  3. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

And to continue paying for more and more expensive rereleases of the same albums as the years go by?
    Anyway, this present box set format is really going to exhaust even the most die-hard fan. Eventually they'll have to consider putting out unreleased archive material just to keep the money rolling in.

4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Recently finished. What do you think?

[​IMG]

dylan1974, Ken.e., Robert C and 14 others like this.
  5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Fascination and Sorrow were fully setlisted in 1976.

I'd put a dozen songs over the released songs from the same era. Some Are. Golden Years instrumental. Outside outtakes with a bit of editing. I'd love to get a clean copy of Life After Marriage. Ditto Zion/A Lad In Vain with or without Bowie's guide vocal. The Garson/Bowie duets are very cool to me. I think the acoustic guitar only stuff could be very cool. Same with alternate mixes from the same era.

There's a bunch of 1995-2004 shows I would love to have on DVD and a couple might be in true HD. Not to mention some unseen full length videos from the 70's hiding away.

Christian Hernandez likes this.
  6. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

If they want it to disappear, they could put it out as limited downloads, but then it would be bootlegged. The main thing would be to keep making money. I'm sure this stuff will be released, it's just a matter of when.

Christian Hernandez likes this.
  7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Ah sorry I didn't know that it was all sequenced chronologically, I don't have the earlier box sets yet. And yeah, I better wouldn't change sequences for a Re:Call compilation after I got this info.

8. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

You've got him smoking on the cover of the box. You might as well have him taking cocaine. :)

9. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

and i'm sure it'll be released in dribs and drabs for decades as is the way with all "legacy" artists. just as the archives of Miles Davis, Jimi Hendrix and others continue to be mined long after their "original" fan bases have passed away, the same will be true for Bowie. anniversary editions will continue and they'll need something for the next and the next. the present box set formula is flawed for sure as it falls between two camps. however, as a marketing exercise it works as the audience is both casual fans looking for a tidy way to get the core catalogue and die-hards who buy anything with Bowie's name on it. adding a smattering of rare tracks tips the fence-sitters too. but the absence of genuine rarities only tells us there's more to come.

Musicisthebest and oldturkey like this.
  10. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i think you should stick this in your dedicated alternate artwork thread.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  11. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

The fact that Bowie rehearsed songs for tours and then dropped them are hardly 'jaw dropping' revelations are they? BTW, Is There Life After Marriage has never been leaked in any form.

@andrewskyDE nice mock up, but I'm hoping for the original sleeve for the remixed Stage. The photograph was replaced by a fan shot at the eleventh hour.

12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

lol... And sorry, from the Heroes album cover outtakes these are the best alternate shots, at least to me.^^

Ken.e. and Christian Hernandez like this.
  13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

At least the artwork isn't off-topic.^^

giantleech and Ben Adams like this.
  14. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

irrelevant. live versions of studio tracks... i don't get the enthusiam. Sorrow was played live in '83 and received an official release.
    Some Are over all of Low? it's a nice track and it's been released now. Golden Years instrumental without David Bowie is preferable to Golden Years with David Bowie?
    As MadamAdam says, this hasn't surfaced at all. the bootleg track is an instrumental of I Feel Free from the Scary Monsters sessions.

15. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

Because an instrumental of GY was used for the Stephen King TV series of the same name, some fans expected it on Re:call 2, but of course, use in a TV show equals an official release not.

Anyway couldn't someone with access to the 5.1 version of Station To Station knock one up themselves?

16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Thanks! I designed all (unofficial) album covers there, by the way.

17. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

indeed and it circulates for those that want it, or can be ripped from the DVD. but to suggest it betters the vocal version is more than a little baffling. i like my Bowie songs with Bowie present.
    yes, or with the stems that were issued in 2011.

18. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

No, it's utterly redundant and it's not very notable or well known. the vinyl release is a curious novelty and a nice running order, but there's no reason at all to put it in this box set when it just repeats tracks with no different mixes from already included albums.

MadamAdam likes this.
  19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I have the Stephen King Golden Years DVD where it plays over the credits. For me personally it has more repeat value than half of YA and a couple tracks from STS.

No one is truly asking for every scrap. Individual vinyl reissues are welcome but the box set exclusive stuff and the RSD 45 vinyl being the last word on mining the archive is really silly.

20. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

you're talking about Christiane F? i'm talking about Peter And The Wolf.

21. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i think you're on your own with this opinion. but you have the track and so can anybody who wants it, so nobody loses.

22. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

Who said it's the last word?

23. leoconsole

leoconsole Forum Resident

I think that once these boxsets are out the way, or maybe as significant anniversaries come up there will be deluxe editions of individual LP with remixes, outtakes etc to make us buy all the LPs again.

24. leoconsole

leoconsole Forum Resident

That's brilliant, although the disc count still looks a little bit low to me. Maybe you could stick a Baal disc in there too?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  25. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

Baal will be on Re:Call 3, especially if a 2LP set. its five songs total a mere 12 minutes. remember it was a 7" EP in the UK.
    without doubt. the catalogue will be milked for decades from now on.