David Bowie A New Career In A New Town 1977 1982 Boxset 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Dec 28, 2016.

1. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

as you know most of that list consists of tracks made ineligible for the boxes based on the fuzzy remit of officially released albums and singles of the era, and not outtakes and later finds. of course this hasn't stopped them from including later reconfigurations of live albums, random remix albums and (with box three) a thrown together EP. so, from your list only Revolutionary Song (single version), and Cat People (extended version) can be considered "missing". to these i would add the 7" single version and US/German 7" promo edit of Cat People, and the Low sampler. i assume the master for the latter is long gone and piecing it together would require more effort than has been afforded other recreated edits to date. regardless, those five examples are all official RCA/MCA UK and/or US releases and do fall under the same category as other tracks previously featured and by omitting them highlight the sets' inconsistency. moreover, there's a unique Dutch edit of Cat People but a) it's lame, and thus b) would be overkill.

[​IMG]

i assume the Peter & The Wolf album is out of the estate's hands too, but IMO it's part of the discography and released on RCA to boot. for that reason it would have been "nice" to include the US promo edit in place of the missing LP side.

[​IMG]

that said, i'm sure the above suggestions fall into the "for the completist" category in the eyes of both Parlophone and their prospective audience, so this is not a call for their inclusion, just an "FYI" round up.

another thing your list suggests is that period tracks issued after the box set's timeframe will only be included if they are not tampered with after the event. for example the last box included the John, I'm Only Dancing (Again) single version, recorded for Young Americans but first released in 1979, while the Sound + Vision remix you list is not included in the next box despite being issued on 12" single in 1991. the reason presumably is that it was remixed in '91 and contains new production elements. whether such remixes (and there are several including the 2013 Sound + Vision "Xperia" version) will play any part in future boxes remains to be seen.

might have a lie down now, i've out-nerded myself.

2. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Just the physical product. By the time I could afford to buy it, it was "bargain" priced, black RCA label, cheap cardboard sleeve, etc. The underwhelming sound, I just wrote off as what you get under such circumstances.

marc with a c likes this.
  3. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Sorry for the following OT post but...

Got the box set today, pulled out the first disc from the Live Nassau set... the alphanumeric code reads ifpiL574 (not 575), and the etching says IFPI 9742 (so that matches). The matrix also says "manufactured by optimal media production" all in lower case and no "GmbH".

Then checked Station to Station... the alphanumeric code reads ifpiL573 (again, doesn't match), and the etching says IFPI 9742 (again, matches). This time the matrix says "manufactured by optimal media GmbH"

So the etchings match, but the codes are all over the place and the "manufactured by..." isn't consistent. Can you check mine against yours? Is this legit or should I initiate a return? Are the counterfeits digitally identical? Maybe you could send me a sample track and I could try cancelling out the same track here?

The disc faces are tan-ish, not sure I'd call them "gold", but definitely not "silver" either.

Edit: it appears on discogs that the above alphanumeric codes are alternate codes on some CDs from official boxes?

4. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway 7217

Is there also anything in Bowie's or fans minds from the now legendary early, silent Hitchcock movie, The Lodger, I wonder ? From 1927, with its famous scene shot through a glass ceiling, seeing the serial killer upstairs in his digs. I can't recall if it's mentioned in any books or articles on DB.

[​IMG]

Neonbeam likes this.
  5. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Forum Resident

If, after you've removed your pinky from the disc hole, the inner rim doesn't feel smooth ... get a loupe to check if it has this inside rim description:

If you can read, stop looking for clues

6. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I hadn't even noticed the single version of Cat People is not in the box :shrug:The promo edits I was not aware of but they can be added to the list IMO, along with the Dutch edit.
    I forgot about the S+V 2013 remix and the recent Art Decade [Live Perth '78]. These would also go on that list.

7. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I ironically had the The Lodger in my hand as I read your post. Had just watched it this morning and it is sat with me at the computer as I am going to rip the Nitin Sawhney music score. I adore Hitchcock, so much so I have traveled by plane to see movies screened.

I have often likened many of Bowie's looks to Ivor Novello, also certain choices of performance and movement not only in film but on stage have caught my eye as being somewhat Novello like (Just A Gigolo?). The Lodger was for me a very important influence on Bowie. An excellent movie too, those who can get passed the age of such movies should really see them. I can't remember where now but I read in the 90s that Bowie was interested in Jack the Ripper. He made a comment about thinking that the Ripper was a socialite, someone who would be protected by the establishment. A theory now very much in fashion with some recent publications and evidence.

The scene you mention is among my all time favourite movie moments, I can't ever remember it being referenced in relation to Bowie but have read countless text of The Lodger being an influence over him which I agree with. I think the influence of Ivor Novello can't be understated.

Another of the time that I think Bowie will have been influenced by was Metropolis by Fritz Lang from 1927 also. I can't imagine Bowie not watching a German expressionist epic science-fiction drama.

8. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i did think of Art Decade after posting but i think it's a teaser for the next RSD live album, or at least it'll turn up on a live album at some point. i don't regard the anniversary singles as "real singles", they're more cash grab advertising for bigger releases.

oldturkey, e.s. and pobbard like this.
  9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

From Movieline Magazine, 1992:

"In the early 70s I started this collection of German Expressionist movies. I had everything Murnau, Pabst, Lang. I went crazy and lived in that world for about a year, it had a lot to do with what I was doing in rock. One of the harebrained schemes I had for a long time was to take Metropolis and put a soundtrack on it written by Brian Eno and me. So I was working with (Giorgio) Moroder on the music for Cat People. He says 'did you see Napoleon? I thought it was stunning, I could do something like that - put some music to an old movie' and he said, 'I've found the film! Nobody's ever heard of it. It's Metropolis, and I've bought the rights!’”

sunspot42 and Phillip Walch like this.
  10. Phillip Walch

I totally missed the connection, thank you. I did not care much for his restoration but admire his dedication. The 2010 restoration is stunning.

11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Forum Resident

The Gouster is the first time I have enjoyed listening to this YA material as an album. I've started to play it more frequently. JIODA is a great opener. I wish it had been a stand-alone LP.

Ken.e. likes this.
  12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Since it was brutally butchered in 1927 - to make it more "commercial appealing" - "Metropolis" always has been this "work in progress" thing which I find kinda cool. The 2010 Version has scenes I never would have dreamed I would ever see. Because they had been awol for 80 years.

At least the movie isn't lost.

pobbard and Phillip Walch like this.
  13. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Yeahyeah ;)

14. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

it was after the edit period was up and i thought i might remember something else... honest guv.

15. Phillip Walch

Couldn't agree more. I love the 2010 restoration. I was so impressed by the work done. Regardless of my love for it as a movie it is so important that it is saved and thankfully it is available for all to see now.

16. OldSoul

OldSoul Forum Resident

I feel like you can characterize most singles from the past 60 years that way, though I do understand what you mean.

scobb likes this.
  17. aphexj

aphexj Active Member

I believe the "Fame" picture single is the only commercially available source for the alternate Rykodisc mix of "Right" mastered at the correct speed.

18. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Well-Known Member

My problem with Lodger has never been the sound... it's the songs. Love DJ and Boys, but the rest are so low in my "must listen to some Bowie" stakes that I often forget the album altogether.

zaza_3121 likes this.
  19. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

among a few other "exclusives" but considering the crappy audio quality, i'm sure they were done with future releases in mind. the Gem promo version of Eight Line Poem was first issued on the Changes RSD picture disc before reappearing on the $50 BowPromo. you'd be better off taking the Ryko file and adjusting the speed than living with a picture disc rip (i've ripped them all but some are so poor as to be worthless).

20. aphexj

aphexj Active Member

Is this true of the live "Art Decade" b-side? I'm considering picking that "Be My Wife" disc up to tide me over until the new box arrives, and though I'm not really optimistic about the audio I should hope at least for listenable quality.

21. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

it's true of mine. some of the pic discs have sounded ok, but this one, Lady Stardust for the Japanese exhibition, Changes and Space Oddity at least are pretty poor. of course you can listen to them but they're a one-spin release to me.

22. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway 7217

Oh yeah, I feel sure Bowie had vast experience of cinema going way back, both "serious" and not so serious (he was a huge vintage and contemporary comedy fan).

In terms of silent film or early talkies.. Hitchcock, Murnau, Lang, Pabst etc, I'd guess they were all in the Bowie consciousness or subconscious, and as we all know, making music or anything, things and influences come out of the subconscious without the maker knowing it, pointed out by others later, or realised by the maker later. I've had this with music, many examples but a film one is where I quoted a David Lynch line in a song in 1994, didn't realise until someone told me years later, and am not even much of a Lynch fan, but the line must have been there in my subconscious from 10 years before I sang it, when I saw the movie (Eraserhead), because by 1994 I'd forgotten anything specific about the movie.

23. zaza_3121

zaza_3121 Member

Exactly my feelings. The best songs are really great, but the rest is just bad. There's nothing in between - African Night Flight is a waste of tape, though I dig the guitar riff near the end. Move On is forgettable b-side material. Yassassin is destroyed by it's melody and length, though Belew's guitar riff is catchy - his tone was MAD during that time, you've got to love it, pure JC-120 with DynaComp :) Repetition is worth a skip button as well.

The rest is brilliant, great songs full of great ideas and some homage to Neu! (Red Sails). I'm interested in hearing the remixed version, but I'm not sure if it will make me love the full album..probably not.

24. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway 7217

I dunno, in olden days, everyone from The Beatles to Bauhaus to Joy Division released huge amounts of stellar non album tracks on singles, including many of their most famous, beloved songs..

zaza_3121 likes this.
  25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Based on your posts, I think it's safe to say nothing will change your mind about it. A remix can give us a new perspective, but it won't turn bad songs into good ones.

For me, Boys Keep Swinging is the only poor track on the record. The rest is just magic. Even with Boys, it's an okay pop song.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Neonbeam and zaza_3121 like this.