David Bowie A New Career In A New Town 1977 1982 Boxset 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Dec 28, 2016.

1. thoutah

thoutah Forum Resident

I know a lot of people seem to like that song; it's just never really done much for me.

oldturkey likes this.
  2. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Well-Known Member

Pre-ordered... this is the one I've been waiting for (though I've picked all of them up!), and it includes everything I figured it would with some surprises, which is awesome. Lodger is one of my personal fave Bowie albums, top 5 for sure... looking forward to hearing what Visconti has done with it! ;) Kind of wondering why Scary Monsters isn't remastered though... also wondering what remasters they're using for the earlier albums in the set.

oldturkey likes this.
  3. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Forum Resident

I think he's primarily referencing Polanski's film, but I'd be surprised if he hadn't thought about this film as well.

4. dumaisaudio

dumaisaudio Member

Look Back In Anger is one of the stronger songs on the album in my opinion.

The vinyl box is down to $225 on Amazon, not as good as that $159 deal some of us got though!

5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Good catch. We were just discussing a couple pages back that SM is the only studio album in the set that's (so far) been remastered and released since 1999: for a 2003 double-layer SACD. I never picked up on the fact that it seems to have been left alone for this box.

Cenobyte likes this.
  6. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

There's a couple of poorer tracks on Heroes and Scary Monsters too - I'm not saying bad - just not as good. If Bowie had cut off Red Money and Look Back In Anger and added a couple of spooky instrumentals such as Crystal Japan/Abdulmajid or the like or maybe added Alabama Song it would have kicked some serious bottom.

7. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Forum Resident

Lodger over 'Heroes' all day, every day

8. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

Big Lodger fan here. Almost every track.

9. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway 7217

What?? They are reusing the 1999 or 2003 for this box set ?? Surely not?

10. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

I couldn't disagree more, and I say that only to (further) demonstrate how subjective this all is. :) -E

11. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Well-Known Member

no, i reckon the confusion here is due to some press release screw-up. the entry at apple music has all scary monsters tracks down as remastered

12. obi

obi Active Member

It is remastered. For some reason it's only listed as "(remastered)" for the digital editions in the press release, but that has to be an error. There would be no reason to do a remaster and then omit it from the CD and vinyl versions

Cenobyte, Curveboy and BlueSpeedway like this.
  13. obi

obi Active Member

No. The pre-order on iTunes has all the albums listed with "2017 remaster" in the track titles.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  14. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

That's a relief - no Mewtilation

:righton: (World emoji day today.)

tin ears and BlueSpeedway like this.
  15. Marc 74

Marc 74 Forum Resident

Scary Monsters is listed as 2017 Remaster on iTunes too,so don't worry.

TonyCzar, Cenobyte and BlueSpeedway like this.
  16. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway 7217

Phew, thanks all for the relief !

Cenobyte and Marc 74 like this.
  17. Marc 74

Marc 74 Forum Resident

Don't know if that has been mentioned before but the Extended Version of Beauty And The Beast is already for sale on iTunes. Listening to that one right now.

18. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway 7217

[​IMG]

19. Cenobyte

Well that's good news, and what I was hoping. I'm assuming these general marketing materials will be updated as we get closer to Sept, the other sets had exact remastering info in the marketing info as far as I "Recall" (pun unintentionally intentional). Anyway I just hope they have some form of sound quality increase done post 1999 or whenever the last remasters for this era were done... my Japanese mini Vinyl CD versions have been my go-to's for years now.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  20. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Yes, I'm surprised people aren't talking about it as a taster of the remastered album. The 'extended' bit is just silly (3/4 way through the song, splice the beginning on and call it an 'extended version') but the remastering isn't half bad IMO. I did an A-B comparison with my go-to ''Heroes'' (an excellent vinyl rip), and I think it might have beaten it. Will listen again when I get a minute.

oldturkey, Cenobyte and zaza_3121 like this.
  21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That title track for instance. And then those German and French versions:whistle:

22. Cenobyte

I just A-B'ed a rip of the 2007 Japanese version of Beauty and the Beast on my iPhone with the new one via the iTunes store. The new one is louder but also has better separation and much better definition as far as I can tell, maybe a bit more analog/natural sounding. In no way is this a proper test obviously, I'm using hundred dollar Monster ear buds with MP3's, but it's sounding better for sure.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  23. "Look Back In Anger" didn't grab me immediately, but it's been a definite grower over the years (at least for me).

zaza_3121 likes this.
  24. 'Lodger' IMO is a great album. The big question mark for me with this upcoming box set is, which album or albums are they going to short change us with poor mastering?. Each of the other boxes had their 'bad eggs', this one is bound to as well. Unfortunately! :sigh:

Steve Carroll likes this.
  25. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway 7217

You know almost all the Japanese mini vinyl CDs use the 1999 remasters right?