David Bowie Aladdin Sane Poll. Pick Your Favourites & Discuss.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Apr 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Aladdin Sane is my favorite of Bowie's "Ziggy" phase. The four song run on side one of "Aladdin Sane" through "Cracked Actor" is absolutely stunning. And the rest of the album is quite good too, except for that pointless cover of "Let's Spend the Night Together."

When looking at Bowie's career as a whole, my favorite albums of his will always be Low, "Heroes," and Scary Monsters, but Aladdin Sane is definitely a high point.

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

It’s a great album. Especially when you consider how fast Bowie was churning them out back then...

bob60 likes this.
  3. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

As a whole it is a great album but, the title track and "Drive-In Saturday" excepted there are better live versions on official releases e.g. "Panic In Detroit" live b-side/Bowie Rare

4. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Watch That Man
    Drive-In Saturday
    The Jean Genie
    Lady Grinning Soul

I like the album but it is not my favorite and not one I listen to often. I enjoy all songs on certain levels, but do not feel particularly attracted to Time, Cracked Actor and the title track. It's been a while so my opinion may be subject to change. Lady Grinning Soul and Drive-In Saturday: Beautiful songs, some of my favorite Bowie songs. Brilliant compositions. I love dystopic doo wop.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Lady Grinning Soul has a line that stands out: "She will be your living end." That may be ominous.

6. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Without doubt the best free gift I’ve ever received. A girl in my class at school had tired of it - or it was not what she’d expected. I’d already bought Ziggy and mentioned I was picking up A.S as soon I could afford it. She gave me her copy. It remains to this day my favourite Bowie album. Never bettered in my opinion. Gillian Hardcastle, wherever you are, I salute you!

7. Bobby Morrow

My next door neighbour gave me her copy of Donny Osmond’s Too Young album for some reason or another...

[​IMG]

I actually really liked it, but it’s possible you got the better deal.

Andy Smith and DesertHermit like this.
  8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

This is my favorite Bowie album from his early glam period. The band sounds confident and tight and the addition of Mike Garson on piano brings a new dimension to their sound. The production is full and forceful, more so than Ziggy. I love the whole spaced out, decadent vibe of the thing. The material lags a bit on the second, most notably with the baffling Stones cover, but it rallies to a powerful conclusion with "Jean Genie" and the stunning "Lady Grinning Soul".

carrick doone and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. Andy Smith

Should have given it back Bob. Didn't they like you.....?

10. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

That's a lovely understatement, or was it Donny's iconic cover art that made you hesitate ?

11. Bobby Morrow

I can’t really defend myself. I loved the Osmonds in 1973. Had I had the cash, I’d have definitely bought one of their albums instead of Aladdin Sane! My next door neighbour (Jill) gave me that Donny LP because she knew I was too poor to get it myself. And possibly because she was going off young Mr Osmond at that point.

bob60 and footprintsinthesand like this.
  12. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I love this album.
    Ziggy Stardust completely bypassed me on release, mostly due to the fact that I was totally wrapped up in T.Rex up until about 1974. Of course I knew and loved the Bowie singles but I could hardly afford to buy albums. One Christmas I received PinUps and Sparks Propaganda as presents, and then backtracked to Alladin Sane.
    I think for people my age, albums were so expensive that you only had a few of them and played them constantly, so of course you became hugely attached to the songs.

Lonecat, patrickd, Hermes and 4 others like this.
  13. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

MAN, I love this record. Ostensibly in a four-way tie for fave Bowie record (Blackstar may yet get there), but maybe it's first among equals? I dunno ... -E

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  14. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Watch That Man, Cracked Actor, Panic in Detroit. excellent rockers..big fat Gibson sound. :righton:

bob60 likes this.
  15. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Got this for my 12th birthday in 1973. I tend to think of it as my first 'serious' album; by then, I already owned 3 Alice. 2 Slade and 2 T Rex albums, but in retrospect that was all fluff really, and Aladdin was my coming of age. I got a few others on the same day: Mott, Love It To Death, School Days (Pretties & Easy Action repackaged) and (deep breath) The Sweet's Biggest Hits :biglaugh:...obviously Mott was a fairly legit rock album, but I still had them down as a glam band at that point, so Aladdin was my first proper foray into grown-up music...barely knew what 'wanking' was back then, pretty sure I hadn't yet tried it, LOL.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  16. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

I really don’t get the dislike of Lets Spend The Night Together.
    It’s terrific fun, full of whizz bang flash and pizzazz, wonderful whizzy synths, Ronno on overdrive and Bowie having an absolute ball. Infectiously enjoyable.
    The only thing wrong is that there’s a painfully long gap before The Jean Genie...

17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I always thought there was something of an homage to Bowie's "Drive In Saturday" in the Misfits song "Driving on a Saturday Night" - I know, totally different theme but in addition to the song title the doo-wop-ish sound has something in common.

18. Andy Smith

What he said. Great cover.

rednoise likes this.
  19. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I agree! "Let's Spend the Night Together" is wild, it's crazy, it's over-the-top, it's hilarious, and it rocks like nobody's business. The Spiders from Mars are a well-oiled machine that's firing on all cylinders. I love it - it's an exhilarating rock 'n roll rush and a highlight of the album for me.

Rufus rag, bob60 and Andy Smith like this.
  20. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Even in Denmark they loved Donny-boy, especially the female sex. Almost all the girls in my school class (we were ten yo).

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

I love the whole album - front to back! But, man, that opening... SHAKY THREW A PARTY THAT LASTED ALL NIGHT, EVERYBODY DRANK A LOT OF SOMETHING NICE... sheer awesomeness and clearly the peak of Bowie's glam phase :love::cheers:

22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I suppose it I was too early to be Shakin Stevens? :winkgrin:

23. Bobby Morrow

It would have done wonders for Shaky’s street cred to get a name check on a Bowie album.:)

Andy Smith, bob60 and LeBon Bush like this.
  24. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Well Shaky was a bit of a goer in his day so don't underestimate his ability to party..
    One of my favourite ever pop stories is Shaky's nickname for champagne was rock n roll mouthwash. Absolute classic...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  25. Bobby Morrow

Every song got a good amount of votes here. Even the Stones cover did respectably. Aladdin Sane was a great album that did an admirable job following up two even better albums. 1973 was a good time to be David Bowie.

Rufus rag and bob60 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.