David Bowie Aladdin Sane Poll. Pick Your Favourites & Discuss.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Apr 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

As bob60 noted above - those of us of a certain age, and probably location, considered albums to be expensive items back in the day, and one did not purchase blindly or casually when spending limited funds. Consequently, I suppose some records just got played and played, invested with enthusiasm and interest cos of how much we had to spend to get our hands on them. As a result there's a magic to some of those listening experiences that are hard to understand or replicate now we are older and music is so much more affordable. How we pored over the sleeves, pondered the lyrics, imagined what the artist was doing, if they'd ever tour our way, bring out another song like this etc. It's odd that now I can usually buy anything I want (within reason, I STILL think some vinyl releases are way overpriced!), I tend to have the most memorable ties to music from the time I had nothing. Anyway, Aladdin Sane fits that era of life for me. I think I'll go give the whole thing a spin now. Bobby Morrow -- thank you for priming the pump!!

2. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Weird. I'm just listening to this album for the first time and I saw this thread. I got the Five Years Box Set a couple weeks ago but hadn't listened to this album yet. First impressions are really good. I enjoyed the whole album. It's not better than Ziggy or Hunky Dory, at least I don't think so yet. But after a few more spins, who knows what I'll think? A great album.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  3. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

Liked it then, still like it now. An album with no duds. They came later...

Mikewest, Rufus rag and Bobby Morrow like this.
  4. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I like "Panic In Detroit"-makes me think of Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla" although they are thematically different...and also the crazy zany MC5

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I envy you playing Aladdin Sane for the first time..

6. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Bowie's slow restraint and Mike Garsons lovely piano

It can only be the title track

yesstiles and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Great votes for this. Only 3 people don’t like the album. And I think one of those was a mistake.:)

8. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Aladdin Sane
    Drive-In Saturday
    Cracked Actor
    Prettiest Star
    Jean Genie
    Lady Grinning Soul

I love this whole album and the iconic artwork is fabulous. My introduction to Bowie was thanks to my musical mentor, my uncle, who was/is a musician. He was 16 when I was born in 1974 and served as quite an influence on my musical tastes and education. He gave me a tape of Hunky Dory in the mid 80s, but other than this, my Bowie collection consisted of the two ChangesBowie records up until the mid 90s, I’m embarrassed to say. At that point I happened to be staying with my uncle while I was studying and had unrestricted access to his record collection. That was my introduction to Aladdin Sane. It is not my favourite Bowie album but I love it and still play it often. I will often play Hunky Dory, Ziggy and Aladdin Sane in the same sitting...it works for me. I think my favourite track is Lady Grinning Soul, but the title track would come a close second.

richard a, bob60 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Here's an early acoustic live version of Drive-in Saturday from shortly after it was written and before it was recorded

10. Basenote66

Basenote66 Forum Resident

One of my favourite Bowie albums and I play it way more than Ziggy - there I’ve said it.

It’s not without its faults and some of the tracks sound rushed. Although I don’t hate it the Stones cover always sounded like a bit of an afterthought to me.

Garson’s playing on this album is amazing - and he rivals Ronson for influence on this record overall - which given Mick’s influence on other albums takes some doing.

David sounds dislocated and out of place on this record which I guess reflects the touring schedule at the time.

I can’t honestly say there are any highlights on this album as I still tend to play it through.

The cover is amazing too. Talk about other worldly!

All my opinion of course.

Batfish and bob60 like this.
  11. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

That the same version from AS 30th anniversary?

12. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Looks like it on Discogs, but that's one disc I don't have :doh:

13. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Same for me. This is one of the only albums by any artist that I play all the way through, and I play it much more than Ziggy Stardust.
    This is the first album that Bowie made as the massive star he had always wanted to be, so the album is full of the confidence and swagger that only new and hard fought for success can bring.

Interstingly his good friend and rival Marc Bolan was in exactly the same position the previous year when he recorded and released the brilliant The Slider album. That album was recorded after the massive success of Bolan’s sixth album, Electric Warrior.
    Both Ziggy Stardust and Electric Warrior are seen as seen by many fans as the high water mark of both artists careers, and yet their their follow up albums were actually better. In my opinion of course.

14. [​IMG]
    I just got this disk last night for the first time. I was familiar with the singles and Panic In Detroit, but the rest is new. The title track was a big surprise. I can't believe I never heard this song before. The almost-abstract piano lead is a nice touch and quite daring IMO. Ronson's guitar tone is right how you want it to be -like it was on Ziggy! Also count me as one who thinks the Stones cover, while not essential, is still pretty good and worth having. I wish the bonus track of All The Young Dudes was included in my Ryko release to sort of round out Bowie's Glam period -heck throw on Monday I Got Friday On My Mind and you can almost forgo buying the Pin-Ups album.:winkgrin:

Echoes Myron and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

Panic is otherworldly!

Echoes Myron, bob60 and Ed Hughes like this.
  16. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

One of my all time favorite Bowie songs.

bob60 likes this.
  17. Batfish

Batfish Forum Resident

Bought 'Aladdin Sane' as soon as it came out. I distinctly remember carrying the album around with me for a couple of weeks. I'd visit friends and tell them you have to hear this. (I was kind of obnoxious). I worked at an automated easy-listening station at the time and didn't have much to do beyond feeding fresh reels to the Revoxes and updating the weather every few hours, so I would sit in the control room and blast 'Aladdin Sane.' 'The '60s are finally over, man,' I told my relief one morning when he came in at 5:45 with his hands over his ears.

45 years later my enthusiasm for the album has waned somewhat, mostly because Bowie kept getting better: 'Diamond Dogs' hit me even harder, and these days my favorite Bowie record is 'Station to Station.' 'Aladdin Sane' is still in my top five, though - I love Mike Garson's Cecil Taylor flourishes (though I didn't recognize them as such at the time) and the shambolic quality of the whole thing.

Bobby Morrow, Echoes Myron and bob60 like this.
  18. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Lady Grinning Soul --- I love Bowie's singing, and I love the piano.

Vaughan, Echoes Myron and bob60 like this.
  19. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

The whole album is great for me, and Watch That Man is about as perfect an opening track as you'll find.

Andy Smith likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Played this today. Just never gets old.

Looper007 likes this.
  21. Dr. Funkenstein

Dr. Funkenstein Forum Resident

Love the whole album beyond words. “Lady Grinning Soul”, “Panic in Detroit” and the title track are my absolute favourites.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. Looper007

Looper007 Bear with me, man, I lost my train of thought

It's a good mix of more slower artistic numbers and balls to the wall rock n roll, with Mick Ronson on top form. Jean Genie and Cracked Actor, are songs Jagger/Richards wished they wrote. Drive In Saturday is one of Bowie's more underrated singles and Time is one of Bowie's greatest Album tracks. I don't mind the Stone's cover, Bowie give's it a nice spin and different view on it. Aladdin Sane probably is overshadowed by Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust. But for me it's one of his greatest works and has a cool cover.

23. Bobby Morrow

All true. There’s nothing I even consider skipping on Aladdin Sane.

Look the heavy cardboard sleeve too.

24. Bobby Morrow

Record Mirror’s review from May 1973.

[​IMG]

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  25. Looper007

Looper007 Bear with me, man, I lost my train of thought

It took me a while to get my head around the album, as Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust hit you right away after their first listen. Aladdin Sane makes you work for it a bit, especially with it's slower numbers. But Once it hit you, it's masterful songwriting. Probably Bowie's best three record run, with Dory, Stardust and Sane. But Station, Low and Heroes give it a good run.

Mikewest and Bobby Morrow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.