David Bowie - 'Aladdin Sane' What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by badsneakers, Jul 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have been a Bowie fan since I first heard 'Life On Mars' back in 1973. Whilst I love all his work between 1969 and 1980, and some later albums, Aladdin Sane is possibly the one I play the least from this period. I have never really thought about why, and wonder if I am missing something? Whilst I like half of it (Aladdin Sane, Panic In Detroit, Prettiest Star, Jean Genie & Lady Grinning Soul) the rest seems less interesting (to my ears anyway). I have gone back to it over the decades, but my position hasn't really shifted. Anybody have a similar feelings towards this album that many consider a "classic"?

2. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

I think you're missing Drive-In Saturday. ;)

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I agree.

I think it was made in a rush to tie in with the success of Ziggy and it sounds like it, some of the songs just aren't good enough, and as a whole it lacks cohension. Watch That Man for example is ok, but it sounds a bit flat and probably is b-side material.

Still there are some really great songs on there - Lady Grinning Soul is one of my favourite Bowie tracks, and Jean Genie, Drive-In Saturday and Panic in Detroit are good.

In a perfect world Bowie would have come up with a couple of extra killer tunes, added the sax version of John I'm Only Dancing and changed the running order radically so that it flowed much better as an album.

4. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

You're missing the sound of drug-injected glam rock!

vonwegen, hardknox, Emmett66 and 2 others like this.
  5. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I would say you are missing everything. What a great album! One of my faves.

Leviathan, wayneklein, e.s. and 9 others like this.
  6. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I'm with you on this one. Huge Bowie fan up through his Berlin trilogy and I have to admit to playing this all the way through maybe twice in 20 years.

Marko L. and majorlance like this.
  7. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

ronson shines on that album......

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

"Aladdin Sane" is one of my favorite Bowie albums. I can't explain why I like it other than that it is very pop-oriented. Read: commercial. Nothing wrong with that. It also has a degree of R&B influence which he no doubt extended to "Young Americans" and "Station To Station".

norman_frappe, Say and Agent57 like this.
  9. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

For me it's the best Bowie album, every song's a winner, even the Stones cover isn't bad.

10. drasil

drasil Former Resident

two words: 'cracked actor.'

11. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

"Let's Spend the Night Together" totally rawks!

"they said that we were too young, but our love comes from above. do it! let's make love!"

or something like that.

12. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

the only song i hate on it is 'let's spend the night together."

JDeanB, Beatlened, Huck Caton and 3 others like this.
  13. G E

G E Senior Member

Side 1 is amazing, it is in regular rotation since 1973

jmczaja, Terry Shute and n.phelge like this.
  14. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

What are you missing? Nothing. And everything. We've all got these records. Albums we should like in theory but just don't click. It's just one of these things.

But you've got to admit you LOVE the artwork, don't you?

15. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

probably my joint favourite along with Station To Station. the title track, Drive-In Saturday, Panic In Detroit, Jean Genie and Lady Grinning Soul are quintessential Bowie.
    as for what you're missing, see Neonbeam's comment above.

Grant and Say like this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It's a great pop album that sums up 1973 for me. Bowie doing it that bit better than everyone else. By this time, Bolan was struggling to keep his fans and his records were becoming stale, but Bowie seemed to go from strength to strength. It's a much poppier LP than the following year's Diamond Dogs would be. A happy medium between the styles of Ziggy Stardust and DD.

This is from the time when a new album was an event and the remarkable sleeve artwork only made it seem even more special. I think I have more copies of Aladdin than any other Bowie album. I'd recommend it to anyone.

jfeldt and karmaman like this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I regard "Aladdin Sane" as middle of the pack 70s Bowie. Very good album but not among his best from that period.

Of course, given how good he was in the 70s, "middle of the pack Bowie" is still better than the vast majority of the other material from the era...

18. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

A classic. Better than Ziggy.

ringorilla, G E, hutlock and 4 others like this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Bowie did much better here than in the States at this time and every album was greeted with great anticipation. Even the 'covers' album Pinups sold very well and spawned a top 10 hit here!

I'm more of a pop than rock guy, but if anyone asked me for an early Bowie album to begin their journey with, it would be Aladdin Sane I'd recommend.

Grant likes this.
  20. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

I love it, but if you've tried to love it but can't, you're missing nothing. If it hasn't grabbed you, it hasn't grabbed you.

Static Discharge and hutlock like this.
  21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I just played it on my way to work this morning.

You're not obligated to like it. There are lots of 'classic' albums I don't like either.

22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Prettiest Star is really good. Only Bowie had the guts to re-record a flop single and put it on a hit album. Since he redid Holy Holy and John I'm Only Dancing at the same time the album could have been even more audacious.

23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I love Ziggy but sometimes I do think AS is better. It's like a "tour" concept album - every song is a snapshot of the city it was conceived in. It's got lots of great hard rock, brilliant avante garde music, and Bowie's greatest ever music hall pastiche. It's a real left-of-center classic rock album and it does make Ziggy sound somewhat conservative at times.

24. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Now don't go lulling the boy into a false sense of security - he HAS TO LIKE IT! :laugh:

25. Terry

Terry Senior Member

The piano playing is phenomenal, as is Panic in Detroit. One of my fav David songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.